OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Logan Vs Shadyside

Post by OVCFan2 »

Logangrad
All State

Re: Logan Vs Shadyside

Post by Logangrad »

Logan is in a very tough spot trying to fill games with the SEOAL dead. Shadyside will offer a huge test for Logan with their history and the travel time and all the intangibles that come with it. This is huge for Shadyside if they win with points and could be a nice get for Logan in secondary points if they win if Shadyside's history holds true. The Licking County League is expanding by 5 teams this summer so Logan could have a new home if they offer us a spot.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

I sure can't wait till Paladin hears of this. :mrgreen: Which route will he take on this one, is the real question though. Will he slam his beloved D2 Chiefs for opting to schedule a D7 school? Or will he crow that his mighty Chiefs are brave (no pun) enough to schedule a NE Ohio team? Or will he slyly dodge this topic like he usually does when he can't come up with a way to wiggle out? What a quandary for the chubby ole fella that the Chiefs have put him in. :lol:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

D2 vs D7, gotta be the only time it's been a 5 division gap since I doubt before a D1 school ever played a D6 school. Huge points for Shadyside

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

grad, any idea on what travels time would be in the licking valley league?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Granville, Lakewood, Licking Heights, Licking Valley and Watkins Memorial. All about an hour drive and Granville being the farthest at 1 hour 13 minutes. Who might they add?

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exile »

Raider,

I don't know how often such a large division spread has happened, but I do remember that in 2006, Worthington Kilbourne (DI) opened the season against Delphos St. John's (DVI), and St. John's won.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

AcesinCalifornia wrote:Raider,

I don't know how often such a large division spread has happened, but I do remember that in 2006, Worthington Kilbourne (DI) opened the season against Delphos St. John's (DVI), and St. John's won.
DSJ has also played Detroit Catholic Central in an opening week before. DCC would be a D1 in Ohio.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Where to start with this --

Chiefs fill a big hole on the schedule. So does Shadyside who has trouble filling a schedule as most Eastern D-6 and D-7 schools avoid them if they can. In this case, Shadyside turned down the first attempt at scheduling LOgan, but had problems and looked at getting a game played , even with a loss as they usually can lose a few games and still make the playoffs. It also addresses their need for competition and I suspect the coach knows he is biting off a lot to chew in the Chiefs. Logan also fills a tough schedule slot and faces a 2 hour + trip to the river. I would not be surprised if Shadyside gave gas money since its a one year deal. While I would look at Shadyside being the underdog, they are often better than much of the dregs that make up SEO, so the Chiefs get some competition. This is only the beginning of difficult scheduling for Logan as I expect most of SEO to run from the Chiefs. Even getting Columbus area schools to schedule is tough with few wanting to travel much outside of Franklin Co.

It should be interesting to see who Logan can get to fill game 9 the following year as Gallia leaves. Team Canada ? West Virginia ? Some one with balls will step up. Probably won't be SEO, but someone somewhere will. :lol:

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Big changes coming for the LCL as it currently has a big school and a small school division. Those divisions — like football — will be split by size, with Heath, Johnstown, Newark Catholic, Northridge and Utica in the small-school division and Granville, Lakewood, Licking Heights, Licking Valley and Watkins Memorial in the big-school division. But five new schools are being invited into the Big School division.

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/story/spo ... /25155067/

Ground Buck wrote:I sure can't wait till Paladin hears of this. :mrgreen: Which route will he take on this one, is the real question though. Will he slam his beloved D2 Chiefs for opting to schedule a D7 school? Or will he crow that his mighty Chiefs are brave (no pun) enough to schedule a NE Ohio team? Or will he slyly dodge this topic like he usually does when he can't come up with a way to wiggle out? What a quandary for the chubby ole fella that the Chiefs have put him in. :lol:
I think the key word in that is "Opted"
Logan didn't "Opt" to play Shadyside as in they were searching out Shadyside to play them, they were left with few options after the league teams decided to leave. You have to do what you have to do these days and this is a quality opponent considering the circumstances.

I think the LCL could be a good fit for Logan if the MSL isn't going to expand. Its better travel up 33 to 37 and straight north to areas that are less than an hour away.
Watkins Memorial -55 mins
Licking Heights- 60 mins
Granville- 60 mins
Lakewood- 58 mins
Licking Valley- 70 mins

If the teams I am hearing decide to join with Logan if invited, and accepted; it would be much better travel for the Purple and White followers. Licking Valley would be the longest trip if they were on the schedule but its an easier trek up 33-37 rather than say going to Gallia or Portsmouth. It will be an interesting summer to see how it plays out and who the 5 teams are and if Logan is even one of them.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Also just read publically that Mount Vernon could be an addition to the LCL........

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Paladin wrote:Where to start with this --

Chiefs fill a big hole on the schedule. So does Shadyside who has trouble filling a schedule as most Eastern D-6 and D-7 schools avoid them if they can. In this case, Shadyside turned down the first attempt at scheduling LOgan, but had problems and looked at getting a game played , even with a loss as they usually can lose a few games and still make the playoffs. It also addresses their need for competition and I suspect the coach knows he is biting off a lot to chew in the Chiefs. Logan also fills a tough schedule slot and faces a 2 hour + trip to the river. I would not be surprised if Shadyside gave gas money since its a one year deal. While I would look at Shadyside being the underdog, they are often better than much of the dregs that make up SEO, so the Chiefs get some competition. This is only the beginning of difficult scheduling for Logan as I expect most of SEO to run from the Chiefs. Even getting Columbus area schools to schedule is tough with few wanting to travel much outside of Franklin Co.

It should be interesting to see who Logan can get to fill game 9 the following year as Gallia leaves. Team Canada ? West Virginia ? Some one with balls will step up. Probably won't be SEO, but someone somewhere will. :lol:
Bishop Ready may be interested for week 9.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Paladin wrote:This is only the beginning of difficult scheduling for Logan as I expect most of SEO to run from the Chiefs.
Yep, everyone is running from the only team in SE Ohio (the state?) to play only 1 game against a team its own size. But don't worry, this year there are only 5 schools that are two or more divisions smaller than Logan on that schedule (last year there were 6). Without even looking at the D3 schools, that means that Logan is at least twice as big as at least half of their schedule. But yeah, I can see how you'd think it is everyone else who is avoiding competition.

OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan2 »

We love to talk about the size of schools down here in SEO.... However, please look at the fact just cause Logan is D2 doesn't necessarily mean that the population that goes to Logan is D2. Some kids go to Tri- county, Nelsonville, or even Berne Union. Only school in the county is different then being a Columbus suburb D2... But I would hate to interrupt the Logan hate that stays consistent on this forum.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Ultron wrote:We love to talk about the size of schools down here in SEO.... However, please look at the fact just cause Logan is D2 doesn't necessarily mean that the population that goes to Logan is D2. Some kids go to Tri- county, Nelsonville, or even Berne Union. Only school in the county is different then being a Columbus suburb D2... But I would hate to interrupt the Logan hate that stays consistent on this forum.
Actually, the fact that Logan is D2 means EXACTLY that Logan's ENROLLMENT is D2-level. Kids that go elsewhere don't count in the number that determines the division size. A career center (if that is what "Tri-county" is) works the same way everywhere; kids still play sports at their home school.

Logan is a rural school, I get it. But so is every other school in Southeastern Ohio. They have most of the same challenges, Logan just happens to be significantly bigger and so...size still matters.

That alone probably wouldn't be prominently discussed if not for the seemingly constant trash talking about how [everybody but Logan] runs from competition. Logan is the absolute worst example of "big fish, small pond" in the area (and maybe the whole state), yet those few people (who happen to be tied to Logan) are constantly ragging on other schools.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Ground Buck wrote:I sure can't wait till Paladin hears of this. :mrgreen: Which route will he take on this one, is the real question though. Will he slam his beloved D2 Chiefs for opting to schedule a D7 school? Or will he crow that his mighty Chiefs are brave (no pun) enough to schedule a NE Ohio team? Or will he slyly dodge this topic like he usually does when he can't come up with a way to wiggle out? What a quandary for the chubby ole fella that the Chiefs have put him in. :lol:
Geography 101:

Shadyside is located off of Route 7 approximately 10 miles south of I-70 in Belmont County. They are not a NE Ohio school. They are a SE Ohio school. :mrgreen:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Shadyside might be a smaller school but you won't see a IV-V-Vi -VII in seo schedule them.

Last week somewhere on here I brought up........... will there be a summer shocker for Logan..........guess someone is throwing it out there.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

The flood boys might be a div 7 but play much tougher than their stature. I agree with Grad. Interesting one year contract.
Last edited by TRENCHFOOT on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I am going to say Shadyside will be a far cry from what they were the last couple of years,so I expect D-2 Logan to dominate in this one.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

enigmaax wrote:
Ultron wrote:We love to talk about the size of schools down here in SEO.... However, please look at the fact just cause Logan is D2 doesn't necessarily mean that the population that goes to Logan is D2. Some kids go to Tri- county, Nelsonville, or even Berne Union. Only school in the county is different then being a Columbus suburb D2... But I would hate to interrupt the Logan hate that stays consistent on this forum.
Actually, the fact that Logan is D2 means EXACTLY that Logan's ENROLLMENT is D2-level. Kids that go elsewhere don't count in the number that determines the division size. A career center (if that is what "Tri-county" is) works the same way everywhere; kids still play sports at their home school.

Logan is a rural school, I get it. But so is every other school in Southeastern Ohio. They have most of the same challenges, Logan just happens to be significantly bigger and so...size still matters.

That alone probably wouldn't be prominently discussed if not for the seemingly constant trash talking about how [everybody but Logan] runs from competition. Logan is the absolute worst example of "big fish, small pond" in the area (and maybe the whole state), yet those few people (who happen to be tied to Logan) are constantly ragging on other schools.

I get tired of hearing this argument about Logan. Logan is the only high school in Hocking County, one of only three in the entire state, that have that distinction. But most kids that are counted for Logan do go to Tri County. And because Logan is the only school in the county they suffer because they are counted in that way. Logan had 40 kids on their varsity football team last year. 40. Logan is a d2/d1 school with D3 talent. We arent the city league or the CCL. We get penalized for being the only school in the county because most kids that go to school at Logan dont play sports. They live miles outside of the school on winding roads and parents dont want to make several trips in and out to pick kids up. As a former coach I know for a fact this to be true. We had several kids who would of been all league players in football but were told in the summer they had to farm or work or help out at home and the drive in is just too far. Logan is D2 on enrollment only. I could better sit with the BIG SCHOOL DOMINATING theory if they had 75-80 kids year in and year out on the team but they just dont.
The only reason size matters in this case is because we have more kids living in the same area but not necessarily going out for sports. And then at the end of a season Logan is forced to play in the Central District against much larger and much more athletic teams. Logan cannot compete in the Central District. They never have. History has shown that. Do I think in years past when Logan had great classes that they scheduled better competition to help better prepare them for a playoff run? Heck yes. Are those classes few and far between? Heck yes. Logan is now learning to schedule teams they can compete with but in this case with Shadyside Logan needed a game. The league is dying, teams are full, and we needed a game. We need two more games for 2016. It is what it is. But arguing that Logan is in someway trying to schedule down just to be a big school bully is not accurate. If we had the numbers Lancaster has year in and year out and we did that I would say well maybe but in this day and age Logan is trying to fill the void of a dying league.

Return to “Football”