Post by LoveMyRedmen »

Any news?
Probable starters?

Good luck, Coach Duncan

trobuck79
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2015

Post by trobuck79 »

What is the rundown on the coaching staff?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GOOD LUCK TO THE FELLERS FROM P-TOWN

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

IRONTON'S LONGEST RIVALY.----------2ND LONGEST IN THE STATE NEXT TO TROY/PIQUA.

LoveMyRedmen
Riding the Bench

Post by LoveMyRedmen »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:IRONTON'S LONGEST RIVALY.----------2ND LONGEST IN THE STATE NEXT TO TROY/PIQUA.
5th longest in the state. Longest in southern Ohio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... _years_old

Massillon Washington vs. Canton McKinley since 1894
Sandusky vs. Fremont Ross since 1895
Dover vs. New Philadelphia since 1896
Troy vs. Piqua since 1899
Ironton vs. Portsmouth since 1902

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

things are awfully quiet in tn Troy

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

It is football, what do you expect? Sure hope the Trojans will be competitive this year.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Portsmouth should win 7 games on this schedule, it's not that difficult.

Having said that, Northwest and Green could probably hang with Portsmouth in these down years.

EagleFan89
JV Team

Post by EagleFan89 »

Portsmouth 2015
8/27 H Lucasville Valley
9/4 H Portsmouth West
9/11 H Wheelersburg
9/18 A Fairland
9/25 A Ironton
10/2 A Rock Hill
10/9 H South Point
10/16 H Chesapeake
10/23 H Dawson-Bryant
10/30 A Waverly

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

EagleFan89 wrote:Portsmouth 2015
8/27 H Lucasville Valley
9/4 H Portsmouth West
9/11 H Wheelersburg
9/18 A Fairland
9/25 A Ironton
10/2 A Rock Hill
10/9 H South Point
10/16 H Chesapeake
10/23 H Dawson-Bryant
10/30 A Waverly
When you're pretty much guaranteed to loose 4 out of the first 5 games that isn't a good way to begin Duncan's tenure at Portsmouth.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I hope they are much improved west.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth is 21-49 since going to the playoffs in 2007......an average of 3-7 per year since then. The last 2 seasons have seen the Trojans averaged 26 and 28 points per game on offense, respectively, yet went 3-7 each year. Defense has virtually disappeared from the program, as teams consistently rack up 30 or more points a game, via air or ground attack. I believe the defense gave up an average of 37 PPG last season.

I can say it until I'm blue in the face, but until the Portsmouth Trojans rediscover defense, the gridiron struggles will continue. What has developed along this 7 year drought is a losing culture, which is totally opposite of the basketball program. Teams like Wheelersburg, Ironton, and Valley have completely dominated Portsmouth, while West has had the upper hand as well. The OVC is not known as a strong football conference, so that may help the Trojans somewhat, but nothing is certain given the state of PHS football.

I would love to be more optimistic, but after 7 years of watching reruns, the only and best way for me to deal with Portsmouth football is to be honest and admit our flaws.

I think new coach Aaron Duncan is a great hire.......a Trojan, great person, and eager to turn our sagging fortunes around. He and his staff can do it.......but it will take time.......you can't microwave football success at Portsmouth.......for one, the losing mentality has to change.......two, defense has to be rediscovered........three, the community has to understand what Coach Duncan has inherited and what it will take to right the ship, and four, the kids have to buy in to a greater work ethic.

Despite the bleak picture, I am looking forward to watching the 2015 Trojans..........GO TROJANS!!

LoveMyRedmen
Riding the Bench

Post by LoveMyRedmen »

trojandave wrote:Portsmouth is 21-49 since going to the playoffs in 2007......an average of 3-7 per year since then. The last 2 seasons have seen the Trojans averaged 26 and 28 points per game on offense, respectively, yet went 3-7 each year. Defense has virtually disappeared from the program, as teams consistently rack up 30 or more points a game, via air or ground attack. I believe the defense gave up an average of 37 PPG last season.

I can say it until I'm blue in the face, but until the Portsmouth Trojans rediscover defense, the gridiron struggles will continue. What has developed along this 7 year drought is a losing culture, which is totally opposite of the basketball program. Teams like Wheelersburg, Ironton, and Valley have completely dominated Portsmouth, while West has had the upper hand as well. The OVC is not known as a strong football conference, so that may help the Trojans somewhat, but nothing is certain given the state of PHS football.

I would love to be more optimistic, but after 7 years of watching reruns, the only and best way for me to deal with Portsmouth football is to be honest and admit our flaws.

I think new coach Aaron Duncan is a great hire.......a Trojan, great person, and eager to turn our sagging fortunes around. He and his staff can do it.......but it will take time.......you can't microwave football success at Portsmouth.......for one, the losing mentality has to change.......two, defense has to be rediscovered........three, the community has to understand what Coach Duncan has inherited and what it will take to right the ship, and four, the kids have to buy in to a greater work ethic.

Despite the bleak picture, I am looking forward to watching the 2015 Trojans..........GO TROJANS!!
Spot on, trojandave!

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

What kind of talent are they bringing back?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I hope that the Trojans are much improved this year Trojan dave.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

battlecats: I am not quite familiar with what the Trojans have coming back, but I do know that Alex Dickerson, Darion Robinson, and Sky Oliver.......the Trojans' top 3 playmakers........all graduated with the class of 2015. That leaves a very tall mountain to climb in the 2015 season.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I've heard that a lot of the boys have worked hard on strength & conditioning over the offseason. Been running up and down the ole levey, something that hasn't been done since the new stadium was built. As far as returning talent, off the top of my head the Trojans offense will be built around the run game of Austin Hollins & Darray Richardson. I think the Trojans will be more talented than many think this upcoming season. Playing in the OVC should help gain a few more wins. Have to fix the defense, that's all there is to it. Still early July, have to wait a few more weeks before we can see what direction this team is remotely going in. Excited for the season to start though! Go Trojans

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Im excited as well! So happy for AD , he desreves a shot and I hope he takes the abll and runs with it. Lots of positve coming into this summer, lets get it turned around!

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

LetsGoPSU wrote:Im excited as well! So happy for AD , he desreves a shot and I hope he takes the abll and runs with it. Lots of positve coming into this summer, lets get it turned around!
Very happy for AD as well. Great coach & even better person. May take a few years but I believe he will get the program back on track. Could very well win some games this year. Little over a month until the first game!

LoveMyRedmen
Riding the Bench

Post by LoveMyRedmen »

Any updates?

Return to “Football”