Warren football

sp_jv_basketball_24
Waterboy

Warren football

Post by sp_jv_basketball_24 »

What's the deal with the warren football program? I don't think they have any team in the high school winning. Do they? What's the problem? Coaching? kids? How's the youth and junior high teams doing this year? Does anyone have any ideas? Warren can't be this bad for this long. Something has to change.

OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Re: Warren football

Post by OVCFan2 »

Not completely for sure about the 7th grade Warren team, but they did beat Athens and Logan this year, and played Jackson tough. the 8th grade has had a tough year getting shutout on several occasions.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

For the last 5-6 years I have never understood the lack of success of Warren in varsity football.

They pass the eye test that is for sure. Good looking athletes with size, but when the game starts there is not much there. Just don't understand.

Has to start somewhere lower in the program. Football is as much about technique and fundamentals as it is about skill positions and having better athletes especially in HS. If you can bridge that gap in fundamentals and technique and football IQ, Warren definitely has the athletes for the "skill" spots. Long process now though I fear.

My guess is your basketball youth program is solid all the way through in teaching and participation. Duplicate that in football and you will have something. But be prepared to wait a couple years.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Football seems to be the only program they don't do well in.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

The program really went down hill with a ton of coaching changes in the early 2000s.

Jim Pfifer (sp?) did a nice job of rebuilding, but then left the program. Andy Schob, IMO, just wasn't the right fit at WHS. He's a really creative offensive coach, but it never clicked at Warren for him.

Lots of coaching changes have been a big problem there IMO.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Some "Bandit" on here claims Warren doesn't care about football. I think he said the only use football serves at Warren is to keep kids in shape for basketball season, and to insure that Logan doesn't finish last in the 3 team league in football. :mrgreen:

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

How many times has Warren Local won the seoal All-Sports Trophy the past few years or finished second in the Bill Thomas award? That's what I don't understand. They have all those good athletes but just can't seem to click in football.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

With the right program from grade school thru high school, they have the athletes and they must have the commitment from the school and community, Warren can and will succeed with a good foundation and have a staff who are committed to developing a winning program! But this will be a 4-8 year commitment!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Ground Buck wrote:Some "Bandit" on here claims Warren doesn't care about football. I think he said the only use football serves at Warren is to keep kids in shape for basketball season, and to insure that Logan doesn't finish last in the 3 team league in football. :mrgreen:
Logan is so popular we are in a NY/Warren topic

thank you grounded duck

Whodey
Freshman Team

Post by Whodey »

Hire the right guy and leave him alone and wait.

northern exposure
Waterboy

Post by northern exposure »

It comes down to coaching or lack thereof. Currently I'd say its coaching I usually want to give a new coach at least three years but I will have to say they need to stop the bleeding now. They have gone so far downhill this year compared to last year its embarrassing. I think only maybe one game hasn't been a running clock. The varsity has scored only two touchdowns this year including three scrimmages. Its sad to watch knowing there are good athletes on the field.

The seventh is doing well - have only lost one game and believe sixth is doing well. My observation with these two teams is they didn't suffer thru the bad youth program at warren. Seventh didn't even have team last year when they were sixth graders. Different bunch doing youth not sure how they are. Heard that one of warrens old coaches (who was very successful) said that the varsity looked like a bunch of 7th graders out there. That all lies on the coaching they are not prepared.

OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan2 »

A young promising coach that is also a teacher is what Warren needs. Someone that breathes enthusiasm and pride. It can be done, look at Alexander!!! There are too many athletes at Warren for them to not be at least a competitive football team. The offense that is on the field is ridiculous. Look like something from 1992.

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

It has been a combination of several things over many years and my son was part of it in past years. The youth league has had its share of problems from not having enough kids sign up to parents not letting them play because of one certain coach to wanting them to play soccer which has had more success than the football program. I feel that the best way to get the team on track would be to have the entire coaching staff be teachers if possible that have past playing time and understand the game, the school I went to had just that we saw our coach's everyday in school and at practice and it made for a different atmosphere and that was all the way from 5th grade to our senior year. I would love to see Warren get it's program back on track but it is going to take a new attitude not only with the coaches but with the kids of the school district and backing of the parents as well because without backing the program will never prosper to its full potential.

redandgreen10
Riding the Bench

Post by redandgreen10 »

I know what I am going to say will not be popular with some in the Warren area, but it is true. They have a guy in the school that they should have left alone in 2001. Letting him go was when the coaching carousel started. He would have kept the program going. He went 4-6 with an ok team with a TOUGH schedule. 5 of the 6 loses were to playoff teams. His teams could score points and lost several games by 7 points or less. I believe he was the offensive coordinator on Pifers 7-3 team in 2009 also. He knows football and has helped other coaches in their programs. He has coached on may teams in the playoffs. Hire him, get out of his way, and he will get the program back on track. I know he cares deeply about the program, and given the chance would do a great job. Somebody needs to help get this done, or he'll just keep coaching schools in the playoffs elsewhere.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

redandgreen10 wrote:I know what I am going to say will not be popular with some in the Warren area, but it is true. They have a guy in the school that they should have left alone in 2001. Letting him go was when the coaching carousel started. He would have kept the program going. He went 4-6 with an ok team with a TOUGH schedule. 5 of the 6 loses were to playoff teams. His teams could score points and lost several games by 7 points or less. I believe he was the offensive coordinator on Pifers 7-3 team in 2009 also. He knows football and has helped other coaches in their programs. He has coached on may teams in the playoffs. Hire him, get out of his way, and he will get the program back on track. I know he cares deeply about the program, and given the chance would do a great job. Somebody needs to help get this done, or he'll just keep coaching schools in the playoffs elsewhere.
Do you know, by chance, at how many different schools this guy has been a head coach and what his overall head coaching record is?

Also, wasn't he just an assistant for Parkersburg when they had their first back-to-back losing seasons since the 60s?

86LancerLover
Freshman Team

Post by 86LancerLover »

Ground Buck wrote:Some "Bandit" on here claims Warren doesn't care about football. I think he said the only use football serves at Warren is to keep kids in shape for basketball season, and to insure that Logan doesn't finish last in the 3 team league in football. :mrgreen:

Really Ground Buck, I think you've got enough issues in Nelsonville to keep your focus there. Warren is struggling, but we aren't running around taking pot shots at others programs, funny how you disappear from the Nelsonville forums. And we'd be happy to play you in any sport.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

They already proved they didn't want anything to do with Warren when they wouldn't let you in the TVC

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

I don't think that the TVC was afraid of Warren noreply66... in most seasons The top 3-4 TVC ohio teams would roll Warren on a weekly basis sorry...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Alexander Hitman wrote:I don't think that the TVC was afraid of Warren noreply66... in most seasons The top 3-4 TVC ohio teams would roll Warren on a weekly basis sorry...
I'm talking about their whole program of sports.Football would be about the only sport the TVC would have more than one team win over Warren. The TVC is afraid of Warren as a whole.

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

noreply66 wrote:
Alexander Hitman wrote:I don't think that the TVC was afraid of Warren noreply66... in most seasons The top 3-4 TVC ohio teams would roll Warren on a weekly basis sorry...
I'm talking about their whole program of sports.Football would be about the only sport the TVC would have more than one team win over Warren. The TVC is afraid of Warren as a whole.
This statement is true as a whole Warren would be a handfull in the league but there are still people on the TVC board that still have ill feelings toward Warren from when they left in 1986 for the SEOAL and have said they would never let Warren back in and so far it has been the point of conversations among us to the point of asking why don't you just get over it cause that was almost 30 years ago!

Return to “Football”