Coal Grove Football 2017

tkd325
Waterboy

Coal Grove Football 2017

Post by tkd325 »

It's no secret that our football program has been anything but stable for quite some time. I want these boys to know just how proud I am of them!
A lot (not parents or family of course) of fans and bystandards see black and white, coaching, whether you won or lost, but me, I see a group of boys who have excelled and over come difficult situations. They kept their heart in the game, continued to work hard, and always gave their all. Love seeing our seniors walk out with a winning season.
Our seniors have went through their four year HS career with THREE different coaches.
Our Juniors have went through three years with two different coaches.
Our Sophmores went two years with two different coaches. Also had a coach change their 8th grade year making it three for three years played.
Hopefully after this year the board will finally add some stability to our program. Ferguson has done great with the boys and has showed patience as he had much to over come as well.
You boys stay brothers, keep your heads high, stay working hard, hitting hard, and your success will continue!

79Tiger
All Conference

Re: Coal Grove Football

Post by 79Tiger »

Hornets have a good thing going. Keep it that way

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

Good luck the rest of this postseason hornets. With the instability of Ironton and Portsmouth then Coal Grove could have a stranglehold on the OVC for the next few years

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Great season to date for Dawson-Bryant. They should knock off Southeastern thiss week in Round 2. That would probably mean a matchup with Region 23 kingpin Nelsonville-York for the regional title. I hear many of the Hornet faithful whispering that the talent decline after 2018 is quite steep. Sounds like they expect a good year in 2018 and then tough sledding for the Hornets for several seasons. This is the reason many in the village fear that Ferguson will listen to suitors in the offseason while he is a hot commodity. Good luck this week Hornets.

Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

What kind of a person would he be to leave a program that put their faith and trust in him just because talent pool may decline??? Ferguson is not that kind of guy.... if he was who would want him?? Only ironton!!! And no way, shape or form does he leave Grove for them. poop-stirrer spotted.

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Cool down Capt O. It's a football discussion board and the topic is about CG football. Not sure why you got puffed up. The Flash said he thought CG could have a stranglehold on the OVC for a few years. I disagree and gave support. Nothing more or less. Don't see anything derogatory to anyone in my original post. Good luck Hornets versus Southeastern.
Last edited by Half Slice on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

Ironton doesn't have a vacancy that I have heard. Did I miss something?

Tank14
Waterboy

Post by Tank14 »

Grovers always got to bring ironton up. You'll never be what ironton has been. Ferguson only took over in like may. He didn't build this team. He inherited what the last staff built and a great talent pool. From what I'm hearing, he's not building a program at lower levels. No frosh games and only like 3 Jv games. All the koolaid drinkers better enjoy this year. And we don't need ferguson at ironton, we need someone to come in and build a program back up. I'm with half slice, you're not gonna have a stranglehold on the ovc. Come back in a couple years and we will talk.

tkd325
Waterboy

Post by tkd325 »

Alright, the point of this thread was to let the boys know how proud I am of the work they put into their season, they deserve to be where they are in the playoffs, and to encourage them to stay working hard. It's not just about football...when kids work hard to get what they want and stay strong when they lose hope, they are learning life lessons as well. They are building character that will lead them to become successful even after they leave high school. It's not about Ferguson leaving, never said that nor do I believe that, it's not about Ironton football, and it certainly isn't about whether or not CG will live up to Ironton's past. I could care less about Ironton or where they have been or where they are now. I'm not from this area, but have quickly realized that way too many people living in the past. I'm looking toward the future and if they never win another OVC, I'm still and always will be proud of the work they put in to make them the best they can be. So please, this is to support the boys as they head into round 2 of the playoffs.

Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

Tank14 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:36 pm Grovers always got to bring ironton up. You'll never be what ironton has been. Ferguson only took over in like may. He didn't build this team. He inherited what the last staff built and a great talent pool. From what I'm hearing, he's not building a program at lower levels. No frosh games and only like 3 Jv games. All the koolaid drinkers better enjoy this year. And we don't need ferguson at ironton, we need someone to come in and build a program back up. I'm with half slice, you're not gonna have a stranglehold on the ovc. Come back in a couple years and we will talk.

Ironton will never be what Ironton has been either! Ferguson has built this years team, not anyone else. There are 3 maybe 4 kids on this team that actually started last year. The talent was there last year also but wasn't used as accordingly. So to say he's not put the talent in the best position to build this team is an understatement . he has built this team .

I’m a neutral fannnnn of every one in southern ohio
Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

Waterboy,

By my recollection Waulk, Hicks, Music, Jones, Sites, Bloomfield, Jones, and Baldwin were starters or played extensively in some capacity last season. Angelo and Holmes would have been if they had not departed to play for Symmes Valley last season so they have to be counted in as well. So to say only 3-4 kids were starters last year is probably inaccurate. This roster contained plenty of talent and gobs of experience for any coach to work with. A very favorable non-conference schedule allowed them to gel early while racking up wins as well. Make no mistake, they earned their league title and playoff berth but to say their wasnt much returning talent or experience is simply not true. There were at least 10 battle tested kids suiting up in week 1 for Ferguson's troops.

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Didn’t realize they had so many players with experience back this season.

Return to “Football”