Logan's Billy Burke resigns, coaching search begins

Dandy Don
All Conference

Re: Logan's Billy Burke resigns, coaching search begins

Post by Dandy Don »

Would there be any reason to think that any former coaching staff would be interested in returning to take this HC spot?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Why don't we all quit speculating and just wait to see what unfolds? But this is a critical hire this time.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Dandy Don wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:44 pm Would there be any reason to think that any former coaching staff would be interested in returning to take this HC spot?
If you’re referring to Amyx, I don’t believe he wants to be a head coach again, but I’m sure there is someone who could give a more definitive answer.

I haven’t talked to him much since I moved off North Street in 2002, lol

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

dazed&confused wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:30 pm Let's not fool ourselves. This is a difficult task and turnaround will not happen right away. With all due respect, this change must be directed at the kids in lower grades. The next coach must reach down to the younger kids and get them involved early. And must make a compelling argument to buy in.
I agree, but to tell you the truth I watched that DeSales game @ Logan a couple years ago and man did Logan look like it was having a rough year. LB and secondary corps looked all over the place, small and not as fundamentally sound as they did the year before when they beat Teays & went 8-2. Hadn’t seen them since that last DeSales game, but seemed to me it was a combination of lack of talent, strength but more importantly lack of player development.

Ultimately, that comes down to the coach when he’s six years into the gig - yes. But the new coach is just going to have his work cut out for him, big time. He’s going to need at least two years based on what I saw. Hard to inherit a mess and make a masterpiece; hard to make a great, large omelette when you don’t have all of the eggs out there like you should.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:21 pm
dazed&confused wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:30 pm Let's not fool ourselves. This is a difficult task and turnaround will not happen right away. With all due respect, this change must be directed at the kids in lower grades. The next coach must reach down to the younger kids and get them involved early. And must make a compelling argument to buy in.
I agree, but to tell you the truth I watched that DeSales game @ Logan a couple years ago and man did Logan look like it was having a rough year. LB and secondary corps looked all over the place, small and not as fundamentally sound as they did the year before when they beat Teays & went 8-2. Hadn’t seen them since that last DeSales game, but seemed to me it was a combination of lack of talent, strength but more importantly lack of player development.

Ultimately, that comes down to the coach when he’s six years into the gig - yes. But the new coach is just going to have his work cut out for him, big time. He’s going to need at least two years based on what I saw. Hard to inherit a mess and make a masterpiece; hard to make a great, large omelette when you don’t have all of the eggs out there like you should.
....which is why I say the turnaround won't happen quickly. Whoever takes over must be given time and patience. All the same, it is an attitude that has to change. Penalties and stupid mistakes CAN be coached out quicker than talent and schemes take hold.

Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

Hard for me 2 blieve the board was blind sided. My gut tells me he was forced out. Kinda like dont ask the question b4 u no the answer same as the board decision not 2 renew they already no who the next coach is gonna n or burke would b back. Thank the man up stairs that burke is out

bobcat43138
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcat43138 »

I hope Penrod doesn't take job if offered.He would be very foolish to take the Logan job.He seems to be such a good fit at Gallia and has built a fine programs in a short time.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

bobcat43138 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:15 pm I hope Penrod doesn't take job if offered.He would be very foolish to take the Logan job.He seems to be such a good fit at Gallia and has built a fine programs in a short time.
He would have to apply before an offer. If he's happy where he's at, it's a moot point

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Heard Penrod and his family are very happy at Gallia

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

Heard he applied before in the not so distant past....and was told he didn't have enough experience...Why would he want to now, after that let down?...Besides, he's doing great at Gallia and turning it around nicely....

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

If Logan were smart they would pay whatever to bring him back home. Hate to see gallia lose him but those turkeys broke my heart! The whole state has recognized him! He would have all the leverage. Six figures Penrod you got em by the short curlies!

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Thank God! Good luck Ex coach Burke! Now it is time for a complete rebuilding project! Lets look to the future and not the past! Go Chiefs! :D

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

LHS 72 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:22 am Thank God! Good luck Ex coach Burke! Now it is time for a complete rebuilding project! Lets look to the future and not the past! Go Chiefs! :D
Great, A new start for Logan Football! Let the search begin! :mrgreen:

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Here are some of the things I think the program needs in a new head coach:

1) A coach with a vision of what the program will look like in 5-10 years. This doesn't mean I expect this person to be here that long, no one can control that, but long term vision and short term accountability on how to get there is important. What does the program stand for? What are the expecations for players, coaches, parents, and the community? How do we know we're on the right track in meeting those goals?

2) A coach who is willing to embrace being "the face" of the program in the community. Logan has been lucky - they've never really needed the football coach to be visible in the community. But that has changed. Logan needs a coach who is comfortable and asking to speak at the Rotary, the Kiwanis, and other civic groups. A coach who wants to be visible in the community and who makes kids and parents WANT to be a part of the program. Make the business community, boosters, veterans and social organizations, churches, etc. an active part in the culture of the program.

3) A coach who will actively recruit the hallways of Logan High School, the Logan-Hocking Middle school, and even the elementary schools. Make kids (and parents) feel like they are missing out if they are not on the football team. Make it fun to be on the football team. Make the kids who AREN'T in the program jealous of the ones who are. Cultivate an expectation that the school's best athletes play football.

To me - those three things should be pretty important. More important that head coaching experience or win-loss record. This program needs a "builder" who is willing to do some of the "off field" work to rebuild the program. They need to be able to DEVELOP talent - to make each player better week to week and season to season. To keep our best players IN the program.

Just some early week thoughts.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Here is a little reality -

Coaches are often family men. Wife, kids and an eye on a career that pays little in a field well known for under pay. Many look to move on to better paying teaching/coaching jobs, move up to better paying administrative jobs or leave the field for better paying opportunities in business. It’s no longer steady work in one community as financial pressures increase. That why I left coaching/teaching with a wife , 4 kids and one job. Much better pay is in other positions because Logan is a limited pay district.

Are there any candidates inside who would qualify, as well as know who the players are both on the team and in the hallways ?
Talent evaluation is key. And Logan no longer has the luxury of a league where set games are known year after year and talent comparasions are known. Trying to get a 10 game schedule leaves you taking whatever you can get and no way to evaluate level of competition, good or bad. That makes won / loss record meaningless as you look simply to improve competitiveness early on.

While Locos outline is noble, I’d rank them in importance 3,1,2. From what I know of the current program, a lot of bridges were burnt with players and potential players. THAT is job number 1. Fix that and you are more than half way home. Fail and the misery continues. Vision is fine, but most coaches will fill that bill. Community connections are already there and support more than willing to line up with the new coach. This should be about improving relationships between coach and players. Can he attract, motivate and coach players in an effective system that makes them competitive. And part of that is utilizing his upperclassmen, moving mature players around to shore up positions while growing the underclassmen to mature and reach their potential.

Logan did a poor job of screening the hire of the last coach. Let’s hope the decision makers are up for the job this time.

Have gun, will travel
Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

Paladin wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:07 am Here is a little reality -

Coaches are often family men. Wife, kids and an eye on a career that pays little in a field well known for under pay. Many look to move on to better paying teaching/coaching jobs, move up to better paying administrative jobs or leave the field for better paying opportunities in business. It’s no longer steady work in one community as financial pressures increase. That why I left coaching/teaching with a wife , 4 kids and one job. Much better pay is in other positions because Logan is a limited pay district.

Are there any candidates inside who would qualify, as well as know who the players are both on the team and in the hallways ?
Talent evaluation is key. And Logan no longer has the luxury of a league where set games are known year after year and talent comparasions are known. Trying to get a 10 game schedule leaves you taking whatever you can get and no way to evaluate level of competition, good or bad. That makes won / loss record meaningless as you look simply to improve competitiveness early on.

While Locos outline is noble, I’d rank them in importance 3,1,2. From what I know of the current program, a lot of bridges were burnt with players and potential players. THAT is job number 1. Fix that and you are more than half way home. Fail and the misery continues. Vision is fine, but most coaches will fill that bill. Community connections are already there and support more than willing to line up with the new coach. This should be about improving relationships between coach and players. Can he attract, motivate and coach players in an effective system that makes them competitive. And part of that is utilizing his upperclassmen, moving mature players around to shore up positions while growing the underclassmen to mature and reach their potential.

Logan did a poor job of screening the hire of the last coach. Let’s hope the decision makers are up for the job this time.
This is a pretty good introductory line from the top candidate for the job

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:27 am Here are some of the things I think the program needs in a new head coach:

1) A coach with a vision of what the program will look like in 5-10 years. This doesn't mean I expect this person to be here that long, no one can control that, but long term vision and short term accountability on how to get there is important. What does the program stand for? What are the expecations for players, coaches, parents, and the community? How do we know we're on the right track in meeting those goals?

2) A coach who is willing to embrace being "the face" of the program in the community. Logan has been lucky - they've never really needed the football coach to be visible in the community. But that has changed. Logan needs a coach who is comfortable and asking to speak at the Rotary, the Kiwanis, and other civic groups. A coach who wants to be visible in the community and who makes kids and parents WANT to be a part of the program. Make the business community, boosters, veterans and social organizations, churches, etc. an active part in the culture of the program.

3) A coach who will actively recruit the hallways of Logan High School, the Logan-Hocking Middle school, and even the elementary schools. Make kids (and parents) feel like they are missing out if they are not on the football team. Make it fun to be on the football team. Make the kids who AREN'T in the program jealous of the ones who are. Cultivate an expectation that the school's best athletes play football.

To me - those three things should be pretty important. More important that head coaching experience or win-loss record. This program needs a "builder" who is willing to do some of the "off field" work to rebuild the program. They need to be able to DEVELOP talent - to make each player better week to week and season to season. To keep our best players IN the program.

All this crap is fine but at Vinton County we have tried to narrow down the traits of a quality head coach to just a few basic things so that we dont make mistakes in hiring. Let me share with you how we do it:

1. He must be a proven winner. We havent been afraid to reach down into lower levels and pluck rising stars form those ranks to give them a shot under the bright lights and microscope of McArthur. South Gallia and Alabama have provided us with little known coaches with great quality.

2.He must be able to get players to run through a wall for him. The schemes just arent as important as reaching the hearts and minds of those he finds under his charge.

3. He must have some sort of tough nickname. Something like Testy, the Gambler, Scrots, or another great nickname. This instills respect in the players and coaching staff and imposes fear into the refs and the opposition. I have a list of manly nicknames that I will look up among my beer cans and other papers. Will repost later on another thread so you guys can share with your AD.

Disklaimer: These here thoughts are my opinions. Dont mean too hurt nobodies feelins. Are we still able to state opinions on here without unfair retribution from certain folkes?
final4
Waterboy

Post by final4 »

Urban to Logan! Mark it down.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

dazed&confused wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:38 pm
bobcat43138 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:15 pm I hope Penrod doesn't take job if offered.He would be very foolish to take the Logan job.He seems to be such a good fit at Gallia and has built a fine programs in a short time.
He would have to apply before an offer. If he's happy where he's at, it's a moot point

An official offer, yes you are correct. But usually those in charge can make calls to guys they would like to see apply. So in response to bobcat43183, I too hope he would decline such an offer, even if that offer is simply to apply for the job. I believe Coach Penrod is at home where he is, even if that means he isn't from there. I feel he would be leaving behind a ton of young potential, only to gain a ton of uncertainty at Logan.

Rebel Yell
Riding the Bench

Post by Rebel Yell »

Kenny Bixx wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:42 am
loganlocos wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:27 am Here are some of the things I think the program needs in a new head coach:

All this crap is fine but at Vinton County we have tried to narrow down the traits of a quality head coach to just a few basic things so that we dont make mistakes in hiring. Let me share with you how we do it:

1. He must be a proven winner. We havent been afraid to reach down into lower levels and pluck rising stars form those ranks to give them a shot under the bright lights and microscope of McArthur. South Gallia and Alabama have provided us with little known coaches with great quality.

2.He must be able to get players to run through a wall for him. The schemes just arent as important as reaching the hearts and minds of those he finds under his charge.

3. He must have some sort of tough nickname. Something like Testy, the Gambler, Scrots, or another great nickname. This instills respect in the players and coaching staff and imposes fear into the refs and the opposition. I have a list of manly nicknames that I will look up among my beer cans and other papers. Will repost later on another thread so you guys can share with your AD.
At SG, we are forever greatful for the contribution of Justy "Testy" Burleston. He put our program on the map. Maybe Logan should take a look his way.

Return to “Football”