Logan's Billy Burke resigns, coaching search begins

Ground Buck
All Conference

Re: Logan's Billy Burke resigns, coaching search begins

Post by Ground Buck »

Kenny Bixx wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:42 am
loganlocos wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:27 am Here are some of the things I think the program needs in a new head coach:

1) A coach with a vision of what the program will look like in 5-10 years. This doesn't mean I expect this person to be here that long, no one can control that, but long term vision and short term accountability on how to get there is important. What does the program stand for? What are the expecations for players, coaches, parents, and the community? How do we know we're on the right track in meeting those goals?

2) A coach who is willing to embrace being "the face" of the program in the community. Logan has been lucky - they've never really needed the football coach to be visible in the community. But that has changed. Logan needs a coach who is comfortable and asking to speak at the Rotary, the Kiwanis, and other civic groups. A coach who wants to be visible in the community and who makes kids and parents WANT to be a part of the program. Make the business community, boosters, veterans and social organizations, churches, etc. an active part in the culture of the program.

3) A coach who will actively recruit the hallways of Logan High School, the Logan-Hocking Middle school, and even the elementary schools. Make kids (and parents) feel like they are missing out if they are not on the football team. Make it fun to be on the football team. Make the kids who AREN'T in the program jealous of the ones who are. Cultivate an expectation that the school's best athletes play football.

To me - those three things should be pretty important. More important that head coaching experience or win-loss record. This program needs a "builder" who is willing to do some of the "off field" work to rebuild the program. They need to be able to DEVELOP talent - to make each player better week to week and season to season. To keep our best players IN the program.

Just some early week thoughts.
All this crap is fine but at Vinton County we have tried to narrow down the traits of a quality head coach to just a few basic things so that we dont make mistakes in hiring. Let me share with you how we do it:

1. He must be a proven winner. We havent been afraid to reach down into lower levels and pluck rising stars form those ranks to give them a shot under the bright lights and microscope of McArthur. South Gallia and Alabama have provided us with little known coaches with great quality.

2.He must be able to get players to run through a wall for him. The schemes just arent as important as reaching the hearts and minds of those he finds under his charge.

3. He must have some sort of tough nickname. Something like Testy, the Gambler, Scrots, or another great nickname. This instills respect in the players and coaching staff and imposes fear into the refs and the opposition. I have a list of manly nicknames that I will look up among my beer cans and other papers. Will repost later on another thread so you guys can share with your AD.
I was always a fan of ole "Dutch" who coached Wellston a few years back. What better nickname can you have than "Dutch," and that guy had "them kids running through brick walls" down there during his tenure. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

Ground Buck wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm
Kenny Bixx wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:42 am
loganlocos wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:27 am Here are some of the things I think the program needs in a new head coach:

1) A coach with a vision of what the program will look like in 5-10 years. This doesn't mean I expect this person to be here that long, no one can control that, but long term vision and short term accountability on how to get there is important. What does the program stand for? What are the expecations for players, coaches, parents, and the community? How do we know we're on the right track in meeting those goals?

2) A coach who is willing to embrace being "the face" of the program in the community. Logan has been lucky - they've never really needed the football coach to be visible in the community. But that has changed. Logan needs a coach who is comfortable and asking to speak at the Rotary, the Kiwanis, and other civic groups. A coach who wants to be visible in the community and who makes kids and parents WANT to be a part of the program. Make the business community, boosters, veterans and social organizations, churches, etc. an active part in the culture of the program.

3) A coach who will actively recruit the hallways of Logan High School, the Logan-Hocking Middle school, and even the elementary schools. Make kids (and parents) feel like they are missing out if they are not on the football team. Make it fun to be on the football team. Make the kids who AREN'T in the program jealous of the ones who are. Cultivate an expectation that the school's best athletes play football.

To me - those three things should be pretty important. More important that head coaching experience or win-loss record. This program needs a "builder" who is willing to do some of the "off field" work to rebuild the program. They need to be able to DEVELOP talent - to make each player better week to week and season to season. To keep our best players IN the program.

Just some early week thoughts.
All this crap is fine but at Vinton County we have tried to narrow down the traits of a quality head coach to just a few basic things so that we dont make mistakes in hiring. Let me share with you how we do it:

1. He must be a proven winner. We havent been afraid to reach down into lower levels and pluck rising stars form those ranks to give them a shot under the bright lights and microscope of McArthur. South Gallia and Alabama have provided us with little known coaches with great quality.

2.He must be able to get players to run through a wall for him. The schemes just arent as important as reaching the hearts and minds of those he finds under his charge.

3. He must have some sort of tough nickname. Something like Testy, the Gambler, Scrots, or another great nickname. This instills respect in the players and coaching staff and imposes fear into the refs and the opposition. I have a list of manly nicknames that I will look up among my beer cans and other papers. Will repost later on another thread so you guys can share with your AD.
I was always a fan of ole "Dutch" who coached Wellston a few years back. What better nickname can you have than "Dutch," and that guy had "them kids running through brick walls" down there during his tenure. :mrgreen:
was having them run through brick walls the plan they had to tear down that dumpy stadium they play in?

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Is the model broken? Logan isn't the job it was 20 years ago. That doesn't mean you have to settle for what has happened the last decade. Just instill some pride and discipline. I agree with Paladin. You can't ask young guys with families to come here and accept an offer knowing what is expected and what has been offered. If you want another Amyx, you have to provide for the FAMILY that is being asked to sacrifice. You have to have the framework of support necessary to promote what you want here. And you have to be realistic. This turnaround ain't happening overnight

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
toldya
Freshman Team

Post by toldya »

Hey Wellston Iron man. You poor lost soul. Those two terms are mutually excluded. But I digress....

How can any Iron man complain about a stadium? At least C H Jones field had a home and visitors side. Jackson's old stadium was an embarrassment to football.

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

toldya wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:44 am Hey Wellston Iron man. You poor lost soul. Those two terms are mutually excluded. But I digress....

How can any Iron man complain about a stadium? At least C H Jones field had a home and visitors side. Jackson's old stadium was an embarrassment to football.
I can complain because we have had to endure that rats nest place for years. At least we have enough school spirit to build a new place. My name refers to the fact that I am an Ironman but I live and make a living in Wellston. Thought I would help out those less fortunate. Plus there are some big mommas over here that by a lot of food at my place.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
LeCroy24
Waterboy

Post by LeCroy24 »

I think it's pretty simple that if you haven't been a part of the program in the last 4 years or so don't sit behind your computer screens and usernames to bad mouth Burke. It's hard to be a successful coach when you have an administration that sets you up to fail by putting you against 6 playoff teams in a single season. We may have finished 1-9 but other then 3 blow outs we were within 7 to 14 points every other game of the season so we at least wen't out there and competed. Coach Burke may have had some questionable game time decisions but he did everything he could to make this team successful, and there's no problem in our locker room. This year was the closest our team has been together since my freshman year when we went 8-2. So if you want to blame our recent struggles on anyone blame the administration.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

LeCroy24 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 am I think it's pretty simple that if you haven't been a part of the program in the last 4 years or so don't sit behind your computer screens and usernames to bad mouth Burke. It's hard to be a successful coach when you have an administration that sets you up to fail by putting you against 6 playoff teams in a single season. We may have finished 1-9 but other then 3 blow outs we were within 7 to 14 points every other game of the season so we at least wen't out there and competed. Coach Burke may have had some questionable game time decisions but he did everything he could to make this team successful, and there's no problem in our locker room. This year was the closest our team has been together since my freshman year when we went 8-2. So if you want to blame our recent struggles on anyone blame the administration.
I am not bad mouthing Burke! But why did we fail in the close games? This team should have been at least 4-6 or at best 5-5. I am happy this team was close, but those game decisions was the problem and some young men that failed to join the team, that hurt the performance of this team. :mrgreen:

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

LeCroy24 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 am I think it's pretty simple that if you haven't been a part of the program in the last 4 years or so don't sit behind your computer screens and usernames to bad mouth Burke. It's hard to be a successful coach when you have an administration that sets you up to fail by putting you against 6 playoff teams in a single season. We may have finished 1-9 but other then 3 blow outs we were within 7 to 14 points every other game of the season so we at least wen't out there and competed. Coach Burke may have had some questionable game time decisions but he did everything he could to make this team successful, and there's no problem in our locker room. This year was the closest our team has been together since my freshman year when we went 8-2. So if you want to blame our recent struggles on anyone blame the administration.
Often I joke around on here. This time I seriously want to congratulate you on having the guts to speak out for what you feel is right. Anyone with any sense understands the dynamics it takes to put a TEAM together. Its not easy. And it takes more than just a coach working towards a goal. It has become to easy in our society to lay blame at the feet of one individual. It is encouraging to see that a young person "gets it". Too many adults do not. Sadly, this seems to be especially true in the Logan community. Keep fighting the good fight. You will be a better man for it.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

logan wont be down forever.....

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

hannancoach wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:45 am
Often I joke around on here. This time I seriously want to congratulate you on having the guts to speak out for what you feel is right. Anyone with any sense understands the dynamics it takes to put a TEAM together. Its not easy. And it takes more than just a coach working towards a goal. It has become to easy in our society to lay blame at the feet of one individual. It is encouraging to see that a young person "gets it". Too many adults do not. Sadly, this seems to be especially true in the Logan community. Keep fighting the good fight. You will be a better man for it.
*clapping hands emoji here*

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Although I agree with a lot of this I feel that after a 20 year run of following the program closely, as a parent with kids in the program or as a member of the local media covering them; I don’t feel the admins “set the team up to fail” by scheduling 6 playoff teams. Nobody knew what those teams were going to do prior to the season or two years ago when they were scheduled and I think they did the best they could given the current state of Logan’s non league status. You have to schedule the teams that
A- Have open dates
B- Give you the best chance to make the post season as a Division 2 team with nothing else to play for
C- Allow you to compete at a high level

I have “heard” so many different things about the former coach both negative and positive that its tough to wager a guess if he needed to go or not but apparently THE COACH felt it was time to step aside. I think no matter the current state of the locker room when you go 3-7, 3-7 and 1-9 the last three years its probably time to find out why and what can be done to change the results.

Live Like A Champion!
LeCroy24
Waterboy

Post by LeCroy24 »

hannancoach wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:45 am
Thank you, we put a lot of hard work and effort towards this season just for people to bad mouth coach burke and our team. I'm glad we still have people in the community care about our team still.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

LeCroy, Nobody has ever doubted the hard work you players put into the team and season. As Logangrad has mentioned above, I also have had kids go through the football program also as well as other sporting and non-sports programs at Logan. You players have NOTHING but support and Prays from your community and parents. But at the end of the day if your the boss, and its failing...... Your the blame. The same going for my profession, My wives profession, Logangrads Profession and yes Burkes profession. Its the way world turns. You don't get points for being liked by a few ppl or trying really really hard. In short, it was time.....

AT THE RESERVATION
Barber1973
Freshman Team

Post by Barber1973 »

It would b nice if logan would get in a league b4 the next hire that way a coach knows what the competion will b fromyear2 year. Not being in a league mite scare sum coaches from applying

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Apparently someone took my advice.

I've heard applications are streaming in. Still haven't heard much of a concrete timeline for interviews, etc.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Glad to hear Locos. Will be interesting to see it unfold.

SeaBass
Waterboy

Post by SeaBass »

loganlocos wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:08 pm Apparently someone took my advice.

I've heard applications are streaming in. Still haven't heard much of a concrete timeline for interviews, etc.
Who are the frontrunners? Surely some names of applicants have slipped through the cracks. DO TELL!

Kick his ASS, SeaBass!
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Have not heard any names but I have heard 16 applications have been turned in.

AT THE RESERVATION
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

1987chieftains wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:16 am Have not heard any names but I have heard 16 applications have been turned in.
That's the same number I heard from two different people last week.

Viagra
Waterboy

Post by Viagra »

Seems like names would be a matter of public record. Shouldnt we have access?

Return to “Football”