The future of grass fields

transplant
SE

Re: SV vs Fairland who gets turf first?

Post by transplant »

All but Minford right? after West gets theirs in.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

transplant wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:27 pm All but Minford right? after West gets theirs in.
Could be, I thought Minford put some in a few years back but I haven't been out there for years.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:30 pm
transplant wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:27 pm All but Minford right? after West gets theirs in.
Could be, I thought Minford put some in a few years back but I haven't been out there for years.
I think they tried to raise some money for it, then bought land instead maybe? I'm not sure on that, but pretty sure they still have grass.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

as good as the football, basketball and track program is, Fairland should put some money into their athletic facilities… particularly football field, track and stadium. Their kids deserve better

Native Blood
JV Team

Post by Native Blood »

Paulcrew wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:43 pm as good as the football, basketball and track program is, Fairland should put some money into their athletic facilities… particularly football field, track and stadium. Their kids deserve better
Agreed, Worst in SEO.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

You would think Fairland would have the best stadium.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
s.v.vikinglinex2
Varsity

Post by s.v.vikinglinex2 »

Only way Symmes Valley gets turf is when you see me holding a big check on the evening news from the powerball or mega millions then you will see gray turf with red end zones but it would be after I put turf on the softball field.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Yes, sad to say Minford Notre Dame, East and Symmes Valley are the lone Sothern Ohio Conference schools with grass fields. Add Western to the mix when they start varsity football next season and South Gallia coming to SOC in 2 years I think I heard that right.

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

Fairland would need a huge donation to be able to make that happen. Trust me with Jeff Gorby as the AD if he could get the field to be a turf grass field and renovate the track it would be done

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:25 pm Not many teams left playing on grass. I think all of Soc 2 will be on turf now.
Not Freddie falcon....

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Turf done by donations? Not in any schools budget?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

mattash wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:09 pm Turf done by donations? Not in any schools budget?
I believe the LeMasters donated a bunch towards Coal Grove’s turf( stadium named after them). They also donated towards the new ticket booths, a restroom at the baseball stadium and revitalization of the basketball court by the softball field.

Jim was the founder of Giovannis Pizza.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

come on proctorvegas…

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

It’d just be nice if Fairland would purchase a pressure washer and clean the grime and filth on their existing bleachers; and a new turf field will do nothing about the nasty sewer smell coming from the trailer park behind the visitor bleachers.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mglight88 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:42 pm Yes, sad to say Minford Notre Dame, East and Symmes Valley are the lone Sothern Ohio Conference schools with grass fields. Add Western to the mix when they start varsity football next season and South Gallia coming to SOC in 2 years I think I heard that right.
SOC1--Only 1 team will have turf here in a couple years (Green)
East--Grass actually do a nice job keeping it in shape, probably never see Turf
Notre Dame--Another school playing on a really nice grass field again probably never see turf
Green--Installing turf field now
Beaver Pike--Terrible field as they reseeded the field in like June this year grass never got a good hold, probably won't see Turf given current state of program
S. Valley--Not a bad grass field but I think as long as Rusty is there no way they get turf
Northwest--Turf really nice facilities moving to SOC2
South Gallia--grass probably won't see Turf

SOC2
Waverly--Turf
Wheelersburg--Turf
West--Soon to be turf
Oak Hill--Turf but last time I seen it was needing replaced bad, that was 2/3 years ago.
Minford--Grass, eventually I could see turf as they try to keep up with everyone
L. Valley--Turf

Symmes Valley I really don't see them wanting turf and Fairland has sort of home field advantage going with how crappy that field is but maybe if they continue getting better on the football field like they have they might eventually. If I'm placing money on it I'd have to guess Fairland before SV

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

The turf at Oak Hill was replaced just before the first home game this year.

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

Biggest thing for Fairland is getting the funds. They have looked at it multiple times it’s somewhere north of a million and they need ways to get the funds. Tough for schools to raise that kind of money. Worst part is back in 2013-2014 Fairland redid the whole grass field sod and all but during the coaching changes from Holmacha to Jackson and prior to Cunningham all progress was lost.
I guarantee you that no AD does more to care for their fields than Jeff Gorby is at Fairland he mows the fields himself most of the summer so the players have a clean cut field. Fairland has so much wear and tear on that field they will always have issues unless they were able to create an alternative playing field elsewhere. Soccer tried to do that with the OU Proctorville fields but they aren’t a premiere playing surface either.

Tweeder82
Waterboy

Post by Tweeder82 »

greygoose wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 am
mglight88 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:42 pm Yes, sad to say Minford Notre Dame, East and Symmes Valley are the lone Sothern Ohio Conference schools with grass fields. Add Western to the mix when they start varsity football next season and South Gallia coming to SOC in 2 years I think I heard that right.
SOC1--Only 1 team will have turf here in a couple years (Green)
East--Grass actually do a nice job keeping it in shape, probably never see Turf
Notre Dame--Another school playing on a really nice grass field again probably never see turf
Green--Installing turf field now
Beaver Pike--Terrible field as they reseeded the field in like June this year grass never got a good hold, probably won't see Turf given current state of program
S. Valley--Not a bad grass field but I think as long as Rusty is there no way they get turf
Northwest--Turf really nice facilities moving to SOC2
South Gallia--grass probably won't see Turf

SOC2
Waverly--Turf
Wheelersburg--Turf
West--Soon to be turf
Oak Hill--Turf but last time I seen it was needing replaced bad, that was 2/3 years ago.
Minford--Grass, eventually I could see turf as they try to keep up with everyone
L. Valley--Turf

Symmes Valley I really don't see them wanting turf and Fairland has sort of home field advantage going with how crappy that field is but maybe if they continue getting better on the football field like they have they might eventually. If I'm placing money on it I'd have to guess Fairland before SV
I agree 100% with the SOC 1 I don’t really see any others in the conference ever getting it. But then again I was shocked to see green getting it this year.
Fairland has by far some of the worst facilities around.

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

Fairland is having money issues , questionable money issues . I wouldnt expect to see a new field there any time soon until some changes get made .

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

What is Greens numbers this year for their team? I thought a few years back they were struggling to field a team?

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process

Return to “Football”