Refs officiating games from where they are Alumni

vladimir
S

Refs officiating games from where they are Alumni

Post by vladimir »

I'm not saying that a ref would intentionally have the motive to cheat kids, but we're all human and there can be bias especially when there are ties to the community from which they are from.

Do you think this is unethical? Let's get after it.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Enforcer
Freshman Team

Re: Refs officiating games from where they are Alumni

Post by Enforcer »

seen it happen at Nelsonville alot

paulwheeler
Riding the Bench

Post by paulwheeler »

It is hard at this point to even get refs because everyone after the games complains that they are cheating. I have coached for 30 years and I have never seen a ref crew intentionally cheat a team. The reason you have local refs is because it is hard to
to get refs to travel anymore. If you don’t like the refs step
up and become one. They need more refs every year.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

vladimir wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:30 am I'm not saying that a ref would intentionally have the motive to cheat kids, but we're all human and there can be bias especially when there are ties to the community from which they are from.

I think you started a topic because you're upset they asked you to stop posting about refs under the burg and Minford thread. You want to help the officials take the class and become certified, get yourself a crew so that you can help with the lack of officials problem.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Others have hit the nail on the head. At this point, schools are just lucky to get a crew in the first place. Regardless of where they are from. We are at a point where if we don't start getting new blood in the officials market, we are going to start seeing games cancelled due to no officials available.

Tiger Dad 2021
Riding the Bench

Post by Tiger Dad 2021 »

I can guarantee not the case with some. Tim Cox is 5 times tougher on Waverly bc he is from there.

So may not be just for cheating but a bad idea

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

it's because of people like this that we have issues with officiating numbers going down..

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

We don't have nearly enough officials so it's going to happen.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

This is probably the most pathetic thread I've ever seen on here.

SMDH!!!!!

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 am
vladimir wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:30 am I'm not saying that a ref would intentionally have the motive to cheat kids, but we're all human and there can be bias especially when there are ties to the community from which they are from.

I think you started a topic because you're upset they asked you to stop posting about refs under the burg and Minford thread. You want to help the officials take the class and become certified, get yourself a crew so that you can help with the lack of officials problem.

No, that's not it. I just asked a question of do you think it's unethical or not? If you think it isn't, then fine state your reasons why. If you think it is a problem, fine, then state your reason why. This is a fair questions that's open for debate, so no need to read too much into it.

After speaking to a former HS coach for 20-yrs, and now a Ref for 15-yrs, he told me he'd never do any of his alma mater's varsity games. He said and I quote, "I know I'm human and I'd could be biased without even realizing it, and ultimately it's unethical to put yourself into that situation in the first place." He said he will only do scrimmages or games at the lower levels, b/c he doesn't ever want to be accused of being biased, so he stays away from those game.

If you ask me, he was blatantly honest.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

vladimir wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:55 am
greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 am

No, that's not it. I just asked a question of do you think it's unethical or not? If you think it isn't, then fine state your reasons why. If you think it is a problem, fine, then state your reason why. This is a fair questions that's open for debate, so no need to read too much into it.

After speaking to a former HS coach for 20-yrs, and now a Ref for 15-yrs, he told me he'd never do any of his alma mater's varsity games. He said and I quote, "I know I'm human and I'd could be biased without even realizing it, and ultimately it's unethical to put yourself into that situation in the first place." He said he will only do scrimmages or games at the lower levels, b/c he doesn't ever want to be accused of being biased, so he stays away from those game.

If you ask me, he was blatantly honest.

If you get any other answer than that they should neverofficiate again. Sure, you are going to have missed calls but that is just the human element.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I'm sure it's not wanted but prob not a choice

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

Enforcer wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:21 am seen it happen at Nelsonville alot
:lol: :lol: :lol: You mean that ONE ref who always calls more AGAINST NY than FOR NY? lol

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

There's a ton of DeSales alumni officiating in central Ohio. I'd never thought about it one or another until a terrible and decisive defensive holding call was thrown against the Hawks in a tight game a few years back after an incomplete third and long. Defender was beat bad and couldn't have dreamed of touching receiver. Dads on our side went berserk and so did HC. Think he got an unsportsmanlike tacked on. The Hartley crowd was adamant that the ref was a DeSales guy. I was adamant that our side was a bunch of whining jerks as we frequently tend to be.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

The problem is coaches and parents expect a referee or an umpire to catch every hold on each side of the ball each play. They fail to realize there are only 2 eyes on each side looking at 5-7+ people and there is no way they are going to catch everything. But you have little Johnnies parents or 2-3 coaches on each side that are looking at 2-3+ different players and wondering why the official missed Little Johnny holding someone away from the ball. It's really sad parents and coaches don't realize that the officials are human and not perfect. Now if there were 4 umpires and 4 referees then everything should be called and nothing missed. Just like basketball 2-3 officials can not watch and call 10 people on the court at 100%. But 10 parents watching their kid can. Parents are going to watch their kids more than the person with the ball and they are going to call out every time little Johnny gets held or blocked wrong or tripped or something that happens away from the ball. So Officials are tired of hearing it and are leaving the sports all together. I've tossed more parents in 3 weeks for peewee flag football than I have in the last 5 years combined in all the other sports I do. which is 3 others. Because parents feel the need to yeah at the refs.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

TIGER#27 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:22 pm The problem is coaches and parents expect a referee or an umpire to catch every hold or penalty on each side of the ball each play. They fail to realize there are only 2 eyes on each side looking at 5-7+ people and there is no way they are going to catch everything. But you have little Johnnies parents or 2-3 coaches on each side that are looking at 2-3+ different players and wondering why the official missed Little Johnny holding someone away from the ball. It's really sad parents and coaches don't realize that the officials are human and not perfect. Now if there were 4 umpires and 4 referees then everything should be called and nothing missed. Just like basketball 2-3 officials can not watch and call 10 people on the court at 100%. But 10 parents watching their kid can. Parents are going to watch their kids more than the person with the ball and they are going to call out every time little Johnny gets held or blocked wrong or tripped or something that happens away from the ball. So Officials are tired of hearing it and are leaving the sports all together. I've tossed more parents in 3 weeks for peewee flag football than I have in the last 5 years combined in all the other sports I do. which is 3 others. Because parents feel the need to yeah at the refs.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Some people want to complain about anything. I do remember when a ref was on the field for parents night with his son. Kind of thought that was a little much. Even though in this game he didn't make a bad call. Just gives some people fuel to throw on the fire to go after the refs.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

https://ohsaa.org/Officiating/permits

Needed at every level, as the numbers are dwindling and the experts in the stands grows larger and larger. Need to get more of these guys out of the stands that see everything down on the field to get things right.

Officiating is tough and they don't get paid near enough, some coaches and fans want to just bash bash bash. Do they miss calls absolutely, like someone said they can't watch every little move at every single moment. For the most part I believe the officials probably should come down to just a few plays here and there. Catching the obvious pass interference but from his eyes it was just hand fighting. As far as officiating where you went to school at, so what, officials get graded out and watched by higher ranking officials at times. So to be critical of someone because they attended that school, however many years ago is a bit of a reach. I mean unless these officials want to stay put and do pee wee games every Saturday they'll need to grade out so they can move up and then if they want a playoff game they're going to have to keep improving. A lot of crews are made up of people from 2-3-4 different schools so yeah there's a REALLY good chance they're going to ref a game of a school they attended.

Basketball:30
Riding the Bench

Post by Basketball:30 »

Speaking as an official, most officials do not want to do games at their alma mater - not because they think they will be biased, but because fans are usually harder on them. You do not want to do a game where all you hear is "Cmon, Joe!" a thousand times a game. Calling out their name makes it personal and is cheap. I prefer to go out of town where nobody knows my name and just yells at my shirt.

Basketball:30
Riding the Bench

Post by Basketball:30 »

And not to beat a dead horse, but there is a desperate need for officials.
Everybody thinks we make out like bandits - failing to realize how far we travel, the gas money involved, the time spent away from home, the equipment we must buy on our own, and the abuse/scrutiny we put up with.

Return to “Football”