Arizona high school football coach stepping down after accusations of running up score

Omega
SEOPS H

Arizona high school football coach stepping down after accusations of running up score

Post by Omega »

From USA Today:

Devin Dourisseau said he has stepped down as head football coach at La Joya Community (Avondale, Arizona) High School after meeting with administration Monday, following Friday’s 60-0 win over Glendale Copper Canyon.

“I was threatened to be removed from the sideline for our game against Valley Vista if we scored another point,” Dourisseau said in a text message late Monday afternoon. “The AD and principal had a meeting with me this morning and basically told me I was in the wrong.

“We had 1 special teams score and two defensive scores in the second half. My first team only scored once and we ran the ball with my 2nd and 3rd team running back and scored.

“Per the conversation, I stepped down because I was accused of wrongdoing and running up the score.”

Messages from The Republic were sent to La Joya Principal Stacie Almaraz and Athletic Director Joe Williams, as well as Tolleson Union High School District AD Derek Fahleson, seeking comment.

An operator at La Joya directed messages to be sent to the Tolleson district. A message was sent to district spokesman Joseph Ortiz.

Copper Canyon coach Sean Freeman said he didn’t feel that Dourisseau was running up the score on his team.

“We shook hands and that was that,” Freeman said. “When I got a phone call today (that Dourisseau was out as coach), I was surprised. To me, it was not that big a deal. We just got beat fair and square.

“It’s football. And if you’re not showing up with your A game that’s what happens.”

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/arizona-hi ... g-up-score

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Arizona high school football coach stepping down after accusations of running up score

Post by Ironman92 »

Dumb in this instance

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Arizona high school football coach stepping down after accusations of running up score

Post by greygoose »

wow...guys not supposed to let his 2nd and 3rd string play the game or what?? Just silly

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Always more to the story too. Maybe this is like a Vontaze Burfict thing and this was a minor thing after 14 bigger things and warnings

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:11 pm Always more to the story too. Maybe this is like a Vontaze Burfict thing and this was a minor thing after 14 bigger things and warnings
Agree. At first blush you think ... c’mon!!

Then you realize there’s probably more to it.

And, he stepped down right? He wasn’t let go.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

This coach has been in the program for sometime. This team has not had success on the
field for sometime. This same team had 70 something put on them in an earlier game, 40
dome in another. This school board, IMO, must think it is okay for his team to be beaten and
not win. Btw, they are almost begging him to come back. A lot of backlash her in Phoenix.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Apparently the coach has been reinstated.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 854235002/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

what a story..

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion

Return to “Football”