Football Officials

Noodle319
Freshman Team

Football Officials

Post by Noodle319 »

After reading several threads every week I hear the same issues with officiating. Everyone wants to complain about the issues with officials but never offer a solution. So what is the fix?

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Football Officials

Post by Dundas »

I’d say first off, don’t allow a crew which has members that own a local business that sponsors the home team to officiate said home teams games. That’s a start.

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

I saw one crew that had a guy setting the ball that couldn’t bend over. Last night at Oak Hill, they had to have a conference on every call!

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

The TVC needs an assigner who can also evaluate the individuals and crews.
That way coaches and AD's could send film in with examples of their complaints about a crew.

I would suggest not having guys/gals who coach or teach at a school in the conference do games that involve their home school---in any way.

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

He still couldn’t get them to the playoffs. Same ref also gave Rusty advice to beat Athens “Rusty all you have to do is get in 54’s head”. Looks like advice worked this week. Spotting the ball seemed to be an issue with him.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It's the good ole boy system

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dundas wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:07 pm I’d say first off, don’t allow a crew which has members that own a local business that sponsors the home team to officiate said home teams games. That’s a start.
Why not? Lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I thought our best official all year were in week 10, no clue who they were or where from. The ones on the road in FAC were calling us for 10 more penalties than the home teams

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Noodle319 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:02 pm After reading several threads every week I hear the same issues with officiating. Everyone wants to complain about the issues with officials but never offer a solution. So what is the fix?
Need more officials, it's as simple as that. People complain about alumni officiating or someone knowing the coach, yeah sorry the coach has coached for 25 years I'm sure he knows the officials by now. Bottom line in order to set some type of base standard for officials, i.e grading them out or making sure they are able to keep up with the game, there needs to be more officials. When you can create a larger pool to choose from them you have the ability to cutdown on the business man officiating his home team. You can cut down on the guy unable to spot the ball properly or do his job properly. If the pool of officials remains small then the same problems will continue and there will be no need in talking about it because it will never resolve itself. You can't say well Hank over there is terrible and calling everything for his hometown team, yeah well Hank's crew is the only one we can get, so it's either that or we don't play because we have no officials. Officials are not forced to officiate this game or that game, they can pick and choose which games they want as a crew.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Shoedaddy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:11 pm I saw one crew that had a guy setting the ball that couldn’t bend over. Last night at Oak Hill, they had to have a conference on every call!
That was just a circus last night.
No one really complaining about bad calls one way or the other, just a complete circus show.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

There is a problem getting new officials, nobody wants to do it anymore. I really don't blame them. Maybe some of the people complaining should become officials. The sport needs more.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:34 pm I thought our best official all year were in week 10, no clue who they were or where from. The ones on the road in FAC were calling us for 10 more penalties than the home teams
From watching at least 3 of them do basketball over the years, I think that 3 or more were from Lawrence Co.

TheNest
Waterboy

Post by TheNest »

What does an official make per game? Has the shortage increased pay?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TheNest wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:34 pm What does an official make per game? Has the shortage increased pay?
Trying to remember to exactly what a buddy of mine told me a few years back. I want to say it was like 75 for a regular season game. That doesn't include them having to purchase their own uniform, travel, food, nothing else is included in that. Don't quote me on that but seems it was around that mark.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

They need to pay officials more. Bottom line. And have more power over non competitors

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

TheNest wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:34 pm What does an official make per game? Has the shortage increased pay?
Pay ranges in SE Ohio from $55 to $70, flat fee (and taxed), Some places you get some food and drinks, others you get nothing.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I’ve seen 11 games this year and the officiating was fine. Never saw anything that looked intentional. Well done

TheNest
Waterboy

Post by TheNest »

wobycat wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:11 pm They need to pay officials more. Bottom line. And have more power over non competitors
That’s what I’m thinking. If you want to attract younger talent pay enough it’s worth the time and energy. I wouldn’t consider it for less than $150 a game.

Nibbles
Waterboy

Post by Nibbles »

I believe in wrestling, they have a coaches and referees room, they are feed well. I was told it was the home team’s tradition to do this.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

I think paying more would bring more young people out to officiate. $150 a game times 5 guys is $750. So doubling the pay. I know the football crazy people on here would not have a problem paying $10 to get in a game, but would the other fans pay it or stop coming to games?

I saw a few bad calls going to Tri-Valley games this year, but only once did I think it even remotely affected the outcome of the game. (Receiver blatantly interfered with on a 3rd down play late in the game.) If the better team would have taken care of business, the game would not have been close enough to matter.

Last thing: Go watch a game where your team is not involved. You might find you don't even notice the officials. I normally watch the local televised game of the week. Officiating looks fine.

Return to “Football”