Post by countywide35 »

mattash wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:16 pmTriplett

Maybe......

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Re: South Point hits reset again.

Post by countywide35 »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:51 pm Gotta give the guy more than 2 seasons to turn things around. Don't know what some of these schools are thinking repeatedly hiring and firing coaches. Gifford will be coaching somewhere else soon though, if I had to bet.*

Agreed. Two years is not near enough. Schools that hire and fire repeatedly Are not confident in their decision making process. The guy had numbers and kids out and staying out and in the first two years in a coaches stint that by all means is a HUGE win in itself

gridironfan
Riding the Bench

Post by gridironfan »

countywide35 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Maybe......

Didn’t South Point already make a play for Coach Trip once before and made a blunder of it? What a missed opportunity that probably set their program back for 10 years. The man is a proven rebuilder.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Yes they had him and my understanding he already had a staff ready to start. Best of luck South Point in your search.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

I played for Triplett the one year he was at ironton I don’t see how you could not like playing for this guy or how you wouldn’t want him at south point but they might want to get on that

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

gridironfan wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:35 am
countywide35 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Maybe......

Didn’t South Point already make a play for Coach Trip once before and made a blunder of it? What a missed opportunity that probably set their program back for 10 years. The man is a proven rebuilder.

That he is. Played against him. His teams always played hard. The ones at Ironton were pretty good too. I don’t think he’s coaching anywhere as far as HC right now correct ??

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Can't see Trip leaving Ironton for a dumpster fire at South Point. Sounds like they had their chance once and blew it.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

bfry wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:19 pm Giff is a very good football coach. Good luck to him in whatever he chooses to do from here.
Well, since they hired "Giff" I'd say they like those catchy nicknames. Does that mean they'll go after "Dutch" now? Or Jesty, Dusty, Rusty, Testi or even Brick?

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I think Coach Gifford deserved better........I saw a big improvement in the Pointers in just 1 year. The numbers were up, compared to 2 years ago when I saw only 5 kids standing on the SP sideline when they played at Portsmouth.

You simply cannot keep changing coaches that often. At some point, the administration has to show some patience, especially with a program that is trying to get back on its feet. SP football was better in 2019......what more could anyone possibly expect?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

trojandave wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:18 pm I think Coach Gifford deserved better........I saw a big improvement in the Pointers in just 1 year. The numbers were up, compared to 2 years ago when I saw only 5 kids standing on the SP sideline when they played at Portsmouth.

You simply cannot keep changing coaches that often. At some point, the administration has to show some patience, especially with a program that is trying to get back on its feet. SP football was better in 2019......what more could anyone possibly expect?
I thought he resigned?

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

wobycat wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:41 pm
trojandave wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:18 pm I think Coach Gifford deserved better........I saw a big improvement in the Pointers in just 1 year. The numbers were up, compared to 2 years ago when I saw only 5 kids standing on the SP sideline when they played at Portsmouth.

I thought he resigned?
I heard the same thing that he resigned his coaching position at the school.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

If indeed that Coach Gifford resigned, I stand corrected......I was just going by what was previously posted. Still, the theme remains in SP that stability is much needed in that program.

Noteam3
Waterboy

Post by Noteam3 »

From what I've gathered it was a resign on your terms or the board will fire you on theirs.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

2 pages of assumption before anyone posts anything factual.

Small towners are comedy gold. 😂😂

Sheeesh

Herdfan73
Waterboy

Post by Herdfan73 »

SpeedKillz wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:50 am 2 pages of assumption before anyone posts anything factual.

Small towners are comedy gold. 😂😂

Sheeesh
Gifford did resign. He posted on the official south point football page saying so.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Whatever the situation, I am sure that this isn’t the last stop for Gifford. I thought that he did a darn fine job at Sciotoville. He had really solid numbers there and won their first playoff game there in 2017 against Waterford, 16-8.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

South point wants miracles!! One and done with coach, wow!! It takes 3 years to get things turned around with a team like south point.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I know a lot of kids who played for Gifford at P-East thought the world of him.

There's got to be more to the story than we are getting from the gossip mill...

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

Gifford’s son signed to play football with Urbana. They play a lot of Thursday night games. I wouldn’t be surprised if that played a factor. Good luck to the younger Gifford taking his game to the next level.

Mojo Bob
Waterboy

Post by Mojo Bob »

What does it take to be successful at South Point? Are there athletes in the hall ways there?

Return to “Football”