South Point hits reset again.

OVC
JV Team

Re: South Point hits reset again.

Post by OVC »

South Point was dumb when they let Rick Marcello go. He was starting to turn them around. In fact, South Points only winning season in the last decade was under his watch. The next year, he lost a key player to injury in a scrimmage, went 4-6 and was shown the door.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

Jus a thought.. and I really hate to say it, but some of the issues that the s.p. prep coaches find theirselves dealing with are born in the youth leagues... there seems to be some athletes, but for the last decade or so @least, they haven't won. In anything... not sure if the biddy league football won a game in any division last couple years. Don't kill me, and I apologize if I'm mistaken, but I know they've not won many. If a group of kids, no matter the athletic ability, isn't taught the basic fundamentals correctly and early it makes it tough. And every year that a key foundation block isn't laid and is instead replaced by a bad habit, it gets harder to correct. And as years go by and losing becomes the norm for these kids, the mental part jus compounds the lack of physical skills they have developed. Like I said, jus a thought. And not bashing, jus know it's tough to start winning in high school when you haven't won your entire life, no matter the coaching prowess of the next guy up..

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

They’re fools, if they think ANYONE, can come in, and turn that program around in a year, or two. Not going to happen.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

They may as well cancel spirts at that school. Send their athletes out via open enrollment or sign them up for travel teams. The leadership shop there is impotent and they have made it so that no reputable coach would ever apply.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

On this we will have to agree to disagree howie

I think SP is a sleeping giant. They need a proven winner. Someone with a solid nickname. Ole Dutch just finished a great year at Wellston. Maybe they can entice him to take his schemes south.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

OVC wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:32 pm South Point was dumb when they let Rick Marcello go. He was starting to turn them around. In fact, South Points only winning season in the last decade was under his watch. The next year, he lost a key player to injury in a scrimmage, went 4-6 and was shown the door.
you re full of crap he wasn't let go he left on his own accord. His wife was having some major health issues adn since he was living in SP and she in Louisville he did the right thing and resigned. The only coach that was let go was Coffman. They still had to pay him the rest of hoi contract though, that was dumb move.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

trojandave wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:39 pm If indeed that Coach Gifford resigned, I stand corrected......I was just going by what was previously posted. Still, the theme remains in SP that stability is much needed in that program.

He too resigned on hos own accord as well. I'm sure he wants to see his son play in college next year. He also recently remarried and lives more than and hour away. I honestly this he saw the future of Portsmouth East and got the heck out! I think if he been more successful he would of stayed. But we saw tremendous improvement so I was pleased.

Again though until all the schools that SP plays starts drug testing ALL their athletes SP will always be playing on an uneven field, court, track or diamond! That is a big reason that some kids don't even go out for a team. You all can live in your bubbles but I'm willing to bet that if every team was tested there would be at least a 8 or so kids that would not be playing.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

South point number 1 in academics in the county ?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
TheNest
Waterboy

Post by TheNest »

osumufan wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:36 pm
trojandave wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:39 pm If indeed that Coach Gifford resigned, I stand corrected......I was just going by what was previously posted. Still, the theme remains in SP that stability is much needed in that program.

He too resigned on hos own accord as well. I'm sure he wants to see his son play in college next year. He also recently remarried and lives more than and hour away. I honestly this he saw the future of Portsmouth East and got the heck out! I think if he been more successful he would of stayed. But we saw tremendous improvement so I was pleased.

Again though until all the schools that SP plays starts drug testing ALL their athletes SP will always be playing on an uneven field, court, track or diamond! That is a big reason that some kids don't even go out for a team. You all can live in your bubbles but I'm willing to bet that if every team was tested there would be at least a 8 or so kids that would not be playing.
You may well be right. Is this drug testing for recreational or performance enhancing drugs? Is it for extra curricular involvement? I hadn’t heard about SP doing this.

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

Want to put the final nail in your coaching career? All you have to do, is become the head coach of South Point’s football team.

Mojo Bob
Waterboy

Post by Mojo Bob »

Do they have any support from the community?

Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

TheNest wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 am

You may well be right. Is this drug testing for recreational or performance enhancing drugs? Is it for extra curricular involvement? I hadn’t heard about SP doing this.
That’s BS , to blame south points struggles on every team they play having drug issues , so your point is every team does drugs except south point are you Serious do you even believe the bull crap you saying . One of the dumbest things I’ve ever read

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

Tripaces wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:25 pm
TheNest wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 am

That’s BS , to blame south points struggles on every team they play having drug issues , so your point is every team does drugs except south point are you Serious do you even believe the bull crap you saying . One of the dumbest things I’ve ever read

Actually think that he's not blaming the drug use of other schools on the s.p. struggles, but blaming south points own drug use. And the fact that they are drug tested for kids not participation, lol which is even dumber! Basically blaming the absurdity that high school athletes should be able to pass a drug test in order to participate.. it's a sad world we're living in.. lol

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

If there were a statewide, or even a local/league, standard that all schools (or more than just South Point) were to drug test to the extent South Point does then it would be meaningful and worthwhile. If it’s just SP doing it any nobody else then there’s really no point for them to do it— set aside the net positives that come with the policy (active discouragement of drug/alcohol usage that comes with heavy consequences if a student violates the policy.) A school can’t make its opponents do what they do, nor can they have their own weird (this policy has been discussed before, and it is an unusual one) rules and complain that they’re disadvantaged competitively in part because they choose to enact that policy.

Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

Here’s a question , I was told a couple years ago that the number one reason schools do not drug test is because of a young man or young lady would not pass the test the school is responsible for the rehab or treatment of the student and there’s just not the funds to do this . Was I told correctly or just someone’s opinion

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Tripaces wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:27 am Here’s a question , I was told a couple years ago that the number one reason schools do not drug test is because of a young man or young lady would not pass the test the school is responsible for the rehab or treatment of the student and there’s just not the funds to do this . Was I told correctly or just someone’s opinion
This is untrue.

The majority of schools don't drug test solely for monetary reasons. A decent drug test is going to cost around $200 at the very minimum. Imagine buying multiple per year for multiple sports and you suddenly have several thousand dollars invested in this matter.

Some drug tests can cost upward to $500-$1000, depending on which company you go through.

I am not for any young man participating in illegal drug activity and I hope that any who do are able to get the help they need. With that said, the individual who posted that South Point is at a disadvantage because they drug test athletes and other local schools dont ----- that's actually a factual statement. South Point themselves may have a drug problem, but so do the EXTREME majority of schools in this area. Even if many of these young men/women are failing because they have marijuana in their system, some students/athletes at other schools are absolutely doing the same with the vaping crisis that has hit our area.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
dawgpound2020
Waterboy

Trent Carpenter to South Point

Post by dawgpound2020 »

This would shake up the OVC. Long time Ironton assistant coach Trent Carpenter to South Point.

Bring his son with him to be the QB

Come on Trent, time to start a dynasty.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Trent Carpenter to South Point

Post by mattash »

Would be a great fit but his son about to take over QB at Ironton and he's going to be a savage.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Just now will the parents and those in control allow him to coach. Let the coach Coach the team. He can build on what has been started. Now who will he bring to help?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

So he's a long time Ironton assistant but he hasn't ever been the ironton head coach through all the years of searching after Lutz?? Dynsasty?? Nah, I don't believe it changes the outlook of the OVC in the least bit.

Return to “Football”