2019 OHSAA State Championship Games Attendance Down Again In 2019

Post by radiodavel »

2019 OHSAA State Championship Games Attendance Down Again In 2019
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2019 ... -x-factors

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: 2019 OHSAA State Championship Games Attendance Down Again In 2019

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Beating a dead horse. It will continue to drop as long as they keep it in Canton.

I hope they continue to lose there butts because of keeping it there. I was actually in Columbus yesterday and would have went had it been in Columbus.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Beautiful stadium

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

mattash wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:48 pm Beautiful stadium
NFL money. It was pretty sad looking in 90's and early 2000's .

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Stadium is very nice. Parking is a mystery.

Only a little over four thousand there at the D5 game. Move to Columbus. One school spends two nights there in hotels. Another team sleeps in their own bed and has a hour drive there.

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

I think what hurts attendance is when you have teams playing that are routinely in the championship game. Fans from schools like Marion Local, Kirtland, Lasalle, St. Eds, etc. aren't as motivated to come because it's just not as special for them. Teams that have never been to the championship or it has been a really long time (like Ironton) usually bring larger crowds. Another thing I notice about attendance is that it seems private schools usually bring fewer people than public schools do, for whatever reason.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Also, didn’t help that Ohio State was playing at the same time. That took away any chance for a casual fan just wanting to watch HS football.

Ohio State might not want the games so OHSAA has to figure out where to play them in Columbus.

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

If they really want Columbus, OHSAA should just arrange to have the games at Mapfre stadium(formerly Columbus Crew stadium) at the state fairgrounds. Its not the Shoe obviously, but its Columbus. It used to host playoff games until recently, and it currently hosts the soccer state finals, so they already have working deals with the owners. Tons of parking, and right off of 71.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I've always been a fan of moving it around, give the fans different experiences. If you're not going to put and keep in central part of the state, then rotate, Cincy, Columbus, Canton, spread the money spread the experience.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

They could move the finals around every year but honestly it's not going to effect attendance that much.
As stated above. When you have schools who make it year after year or nearly every year, those fans tend to stay home. A lot of private schools don't travel that well either.

I'd love to see them moved around the state. 2 years in Northeast Ohio, 2 years in Southeastern Ohio, 2 years in central Ohio, Southwest, and northwestern Ohio......
Stark county does a good job with hosting. You know what to expect each year and the OHSAA doesn't have to put in a lot of work planning ahead.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Ohio State on TV made the choice easy for most.

Have gun, will travel
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:55 pm Beating a dead horse. It will continue to drop as long as they keep it in Canton.

I hope they continue to lose there butts because of keeping it there. I was actually in Columbus yesterday and would have went had it been in Columbus.
Actually Canton guaranteed profits for the OHSAA, in Columbus they could actually lose money. Bottom line Columbus and their visitors center and OSU does not want them. If in Columbus there would have to be Sunday games as well as no games would be allowed during the day on Friday.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Otto wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:24 am I think what hurts attendance is when you have teams playing that are routinely in the championship game. Fans from schools like Marion Local, Kirtland, Lasalle, St. Eds, etc. aren't as motivated to come because it's just not as special for them. Teams that have never been to the championship or it has been a really long time (like Ironton) usually bring larger crowds. Another thing I notice about attendance is that it seems private schools usually bring fewer people than public schools do, for whatever reason.

Only 2 private schools this year, so that’s not the issue.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Otto wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:14 am If they really want Columbus, OHSAA should just arrange to have the games at Mapfre stadium(formerly Columbus Crew stadium) at the state fairgrounds. Its not the Shoe obviously, but its Columbus. It used to host playoff games until recently, and it currently hosts the soccer state finals, so they already have working deals with the owners. Tons of parking, and right off of 71.
Mapfre is grass.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

I just got back into town. I filled my truck up. I put $45.00 in it. It was full when I pulled out of Ironton yesterday. I used a whole tank.

Yesterday, we stopped at Tim Horton's. I handed them my debit, they charged me $9.00 roughly. Later, I stopped at my hotel in Wooster and handed them my credit card, they added $75.00 onto it. I then handed my nephew his ticket that i'd bought for him, I looked at mine. $25.00 with the processing fee (yeah, I could have gotten them cheaper at the school). I pulled into a ladies yard and handed her $10 bucks to park my car. The only place open after the game was a McDonald's. I spent about $8.00 there. Woke up this morning, got by cheap at Mcd's for 4 dollars.

I spent $176.00 going to the game. I spent over 10 hours of my life driving there and back.

I don't know how much or where the money came from the host the Fighting Tigers for two nights in a hotel (wonder how they slept?) Then the buses...then, I never did hear the final story about the band and the buses. Last time I heard it was going to be like $8000.00 to get them there...Anyway, an enormous amount of money was spent going to this two hour game....

Yet, Kirtland slept soundly in their own beds the night before and that night... Twas the night before the game and all through their own houses....

MOVE them To Columbus!

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:18 am I've always been a fan of moving it around, give the fans different experiences. If you're not going to put and keep in central part of the state, then rotate, Cincy, Columbus, Canton, spread the money spread the experience.
I agree, rotate between the three.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Pol pot wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:46 pm
Otto wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:14 am If they really want Columbus, OHSAA should just arrange to have the games at Mapfre stadium(formerly Columbus Crew stadium) at the state fairgrounds. Its not the Shoe obviously, but its Columbus. It used to host playoff games until recently, and it currently hosts the soccer state finals, so they already have working deals with the owners. Tons of parking, and right off of 71.
Mapfre is grass.
It is very nice grass that can handle a downpour.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Simple minds still don’t get it. The OHSAA will continue to use Canton ( and maybe Massillon) for some time. Why ?

1. Stark County uses VOLUNTERS ( free). Columbus has to pay workers to get them.

2. Stadium costs are cheaper than at Ohio St. or Columbus.

3. Long time trained volunters are experienced. Nothing n Columbus matches it.

4. Traffic depending on time in Columbus are nightmares. Not so in Canton just off the interstate.

5. Food expense in Columbus is outrageous compared to Canton. Ditto motel costs.

6. OHSAA is not going to give up TV revenue.

7. NEO is the major population base in the state and many of its schools are in the finals, assuring attendance.

8. No one can match the $ bid Canton usually makes. Not Columbus, not Cincinnati. That is huge.

9. Fact #8 means they can keep ticket prices down and affordable.

10. Tradition adds to the game, plus the Hall of Fame.

Making money for OHSAA is paramount. Keeping costs affordable at the game for fans is also high on the list. That’s why Canton will be a long time location of the games.

Have gun, will travel
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Paladin wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:26 pm Simple minds still don’t get it. The OHSAA will continue to use Canton ( and maybe Massillon) for some time. Why ?

1. Stark County uses VOLUNTERS ( free). Columbus has to pay workers to get them.

2. Stadium costs are cheaper than at Ohio St. or Columbus.

3. Long time trained volunters are experienced. Nothing n Columbus matches it.

4. Traffic depending on time in Columbus are nightmares. Not so in Canton just off the interstate.

5. Food expense in Columbus is outrageous compared to Canton. Ditto motel costs.

6. OHSAA is not going to give up TV revenue.

7. NEO is the major population base in the state and many of its schools are in the finals, assuring attendance.

8. No one can match the $ bid Canton usually makes. Not Columbus, not Cincinnati. That is huge.

9. Fact #8 means they can keep ticket prices down and affordable.

10. Tradition adds to the game, plus the Hall of Fame.

Making money for OHSAA is paramount. Keeping costs affordable at the game for fans is also high on the list. That’s why Canton will be a long time location of the games.
Boy for someone with such a BIG brain like you have, :lol: . You seem to really screwed up on your points, then again there's a lot of stuff you couldn't hack so I understand it. All those highlighted marks are areas where you are to simply minded to realize how wrong you are. There's no motel cost when each team is at farthest 2-2.5 hours away that's why it's called CENTRAL location. I didn't realize the cost of going to McDonald's was that much more outrageous compared to that of Canton. They wouldn't be giving up TV revenue. NEO is very populated which is why it's sooo baffling why they CAN'T assure attendance, it's proven every year even in the most populated area you're calling NEO people still don't show up. WHY?? Because if their team isn't in it they simply don't care about a game being played to self absorbed to notice anything going on around them. Love to know what everyone's bid price is since you know it all, and if the current ticket prices are down and affordable where's all the NEO money?? Staying at home. Traditions adds to the game for a 70 year old, been up there wasn't anything special about being at the HALL OF FAME, LOL. It's like the holy grail for the NEO, but but we have the hall of fame, so what you had Lebron James too and he left your ass twice. Parking is a nightmare going to the games in Canton. Making money for OHSAA is the #1 thing and unfortunately they've got lost in that fact and they have NO IDEA on how to make the game an experience. Their old school thinking is a thing of the past as they believe if we have a game they will show regardless if they put in zero effort, which is what you get from OHSAA and volunteers zero effort, when more money is to be made added incentive to sell is had. Need to make it more of a fan fest type of deal if you want to even attempt to get a draw. Ticket prices are absurd lost in the thought of less is more. Stadium that holds 20K isn't nearly impressive when only 5K show up it loses the big game feel. The simply minds of the NEO, OSHAA and posters like yourself simply can't grasp that, then again most are stuck in the past which always ruins the future.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Obviously, some people don’t handle reality well and continue to look a fool. Location of games are about money AND keeping costs down for fans. Games may change once in a blue moon, but Stark County will have lots of years ahead in its future. Count on it. That’s the reality.

Have gun, will travel

Return to “Football”