Fairfield Union job open

formerfcfan
SEOP

Fairfield Union job open

Post by formerfcfan »

“Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; for thy rod and thy staff shall comfort me.” Psalm 23:4

Good luck to whoever the next Falcon coach is!

bigdude_222
Waterboy

Re: Fairfield Union job open

Post by bigdude_222 »

Are there any front runners for this position. I would think it would be marketable. Good school system.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Isn’t this where Andy Clark went to be the AD? If so I can see him taking it over.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

That would be cool. Thought he went to Lancaster?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
bigdude_222
Waterboy

Post by bigdude_222 »

Being an AD is a full time job now though. There just aren’t as many AD/ Football coaches out there. Not unheard of though.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

bigdude_222 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:18 pm Being an AD is a full time job now though. There just aren’t as many AD/ Football coaches out there. Not unheard of though.
Yeah. I just don’t personally see the AD/head football coaching arrangement flying with the FU administration, let alone the FU community.

Is Tony Hurps from Berne Union (and formerly Fisher) a possible candidate? FU needs a coach that can get something done, and he’s had good experience with that at two previous nearby stops. That or, one of Rob Carpenter’s sons? I don’t really see this job getting a bunch of serious looks or any particularly spectacular applicants, but maybe I’m wrong.

bigdude_222
Waterboy

Post by bigdude_222 »

Are there any front runners? Have they begun interviews yet?

MrCoachKlein
Waterboy

Post by MrCoachKlein »

Why would the Community and Admin be upset with the AD also being the football coach? If they have the best candidate already in the system then let him coach football and let the principal be in charge on Friday nights! Fairfield definitely has the right man for the job in their lap in Andy Clark.

bigdude_222
Waterboy

Post by bigdude_222 »

He may not want to though. Being an AD is a lot of work. Unless you have an assistant AD or game managers, it would be hard with young kids.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Being an AD and a coach requires having a great principal who would be willing to step in and take care of the AD duties on nights the AD has a game. In football, it takes a village to ensure everything runs smoothly.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

OVC wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:25 am Being an AD and a coach requires having a great principal who would be willing to step in and take care of the AD duties on nights the AD has a game. In football, it takes a village to ensure everything runs smoothly.
Actually you just need a site manager to run things during fall sports. Other schools do it and it works out.
Not everyone wants to do the AD job and coach though.
If your AD position is considered an administrative job and not supplemental then that could be an issue because some districts don't allow administrator's to coach.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

MrCoachKlein wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:20 pm Why would the Community and Admin be upset with the AD also being the football coach? If they have the best candidate already in the system then let him coach football and let the principal be in charge on Friday nights! Fairfield definitely has the right man for the job in their lap in Andy Clark.
FU is one of the few schools in its area where football is single-handedly the worst sport at the school. Sports and activities largely seen as the biggest competition to football (e.g. soccer, off-season preparation for basketball) have ardent support of the families with students participating. Football... does not. Had less than 30 players 9-12 to finish the season. I’m sure they’re content with the AD being an AD, not a football coach.

The shorter answer is that the football situation at FU entails far greater time, energy and effort than what is expendable by an AD football coach. It’s not “being upset”, it’s raising some understandable objection and questioning. Further, bear in mind that FU just spent a school year on OHSAA athletic probation recently... so that probably galvanizes the idea to their admin that the AD has to stay AD and nothing else.

MrCoachKlein
Waterboy

Post by MrCoachKlein »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:50 am
MrCoachKlein wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:20 pm Why would the Community and Admin be upset with the AD also being the football coach? If they have the best candidate already in the system then let him coach football and let the principal be in charge on Friday nights! Fairfield definitely has the right man for the job in their lap in Andy Clark.
FU is one of the few schools in its area where football is single-handedly the worst sport at the school. Sports and activities largely seen as the biggest competition to football (e.g. soccer, off-season preparation for basketball) have ardent support of the families with students participating. Football... does not. Had less than 30 players 9-12 to finish the season. I’m sure they’re content with the AD being an AD, not a football coach.

The shorter answer is that the football situation at FU entails far greater time, energy and effort than what is expendable by an AD football coach. It’s not “being upset”, it’s raising some understandable objection and questioning. Further, bear in mind that FU just spent a school year on OHSAA athletic probation recently... so that probably galvanizes the idea to their admin that the AD has to stay AD and nothing else.
That is completely ignorant! So football is the "single-handedly worst sport". Each sport should receive the same amount of support from the athletic dept, admin, students and community. I am sure there are a few good football players there that do excel. Teams compete all over the state in multiple sports where AD's, Principal's, etc. are the head coach of a varsity sport. Also being an AD in our area somehow has become a full time job at a lot of schools. However most schools haven't broadened their athletic spectrum. Correct me if I am wrong but what other sports does Fairfield have or not have. Girls Sports: Cheerleading, Volleyball, Softball, Basketball, Track, Soccer, Cross Country. Boys Sports: Golf, Basketball, Football, Baseball, Track, Soccer, Cross Country, Wrestling. What I am getting at is that larger schools in the state and surrounding states offer, swimming, archery, lacrosse, fishing, power lifting, Tennis, Dance, Bowling. I may not be exact with the sports FU offers but I would say I am close. At a lot of schools Football is the largest athletic income for the school, and knowing you have a proven coach with multiple playoff appearances as your AD, why would it not be good to utilize him to better your football program. Most schools in the area utilize Asst. AD's or Site Managers and pay them little to nothing, some even volunteer. The FU Admin and community should be ashamed of themselves for writing off the football team and not supporting them.
BTW Soccer, Volleyball and Golf usually don't compete on Friday evenings in the fall, so having a Principal or Assistant Principal step in to cover football games would be an easy fix. Heck, if they care about their students and school they should be there supporting anyway.

MrCoachKlein
Waterboy

Post by MrCoachKlein »

Of course I am not in the loop at FU, so what was the OHSAA punishment for?

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

MrCoachKlein wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:29 am Of course I am not in the loop at FU, so what was the OHSAA punishment for?
I'm about as in the loop as possible, and this is completely new news to me, unless I am forgetting something.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

I also don't believe fu allows administrators to be coaches anymore. Believe George Shreyer was the last one to do both. This could also just sort of be an unwritten rule and not something formal, making it actually possible.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

So football is the "single-handedly worst sport"

This however, is 100% factual. FU has been in a district final in, I think, every sport but maybe baseball or girls bball in the last few years. Baseball they may have too, as I know they had a couple good years recently there too, i believe. Football though has been absolutely awful, but some of it has just been the numbers of kids. They also have low numbers in JH too, though I believe the JH was actually pretty good this last season. Hopefully we can see the program return to being competitive, as FU has good kids and I want to see all of them have success in HS.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Falcon01 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:39 pm
MrCoachKlein wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:29 am Of course I am not in the loop at FU, so what was the OHSAA punishment for?
I'm about as in the loop as possible, and this is completely new news to me, unless I am forgetting something.
It was a recruiting violation involving the XC programs, where coaches were texting Lancaster students to transfer in and run.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

FU hires Sean Krupla, defensive coordinator from DeSales.

Return to “Football”