Waverly 2020

smurray
SEOPS HO

Waverly 2020

Post by smurray »

Waverly with a ton of talent coming back in 2020. They lose the all time single season rushing leader at Waverly in 2,000+ yards running back Payton Shoemaker (1st team all state D4 and SOC offensive player of the year). He was also a lock down corner and threat to take every kick & punt back for 6. Tigers do however return every WR including 3rd team all state Will Futhey and all state QB Haydn Shanks who garnered those honors playing all year on a torn ACL and more. Haydn had successful surgery (damage much worse than previously expected) and is expected to fully recover and be ready to roll into his Senior campaign. Tigers also expect big things out of Senior to be Phoenix Wolf who was not back to 100% following the terrible broken leg he suffered in basketball.
A very good offensive line returns a year older and a lot more experience under their belt.

One schedule change sees the Tigers replacing Fairland with Washington Court House.

8/28 A Athens
9/4 H Zane Trace
9/11 A Unioto
9/18 H Washington Courthouse
9/25 A Amanda Clearcreek
10/2 H Portsmouth West
10/9 A Lucasville Valley
10/16 H Wheelersburg
10/23 A Minford
10/30 H Oak Hill

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Waverly 2020

Post by Ironman92 »

8-2

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:01 pm8-2
With the injuries the Tigers endures and schedule they had this year, I think every Tiger fan was thrilled with the 8-2 regular season finish and playoff shutout win over Gallipolis.
8-2 is very possible in 2020 and if 100% healthy looking for more.

Who are you seeing as the 2 losses?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

smurray wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:01 pm8-2
With the injuries the Tigers endures and schedule they had this year, I think every Tiger fan was thrilled with the 8-2 regular season finish and playoff shutout win over Gallipolis.
8-2 is very possible in 2020 and if 100% healthy looking for more.

Who are you seeing as the 2 losses?
Burg and AC

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I think Waverly fans have got to be pleased with the direction of the program. Gone are the boom and bust cycles of the past. Coach Crabtree has built a program that can reload instead of having to rebuild. While the Tigers are not ready to knock Wheelersburg off of their throne, the school and community are making the investments necessary to produce a consistent football winner.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

I like keeping Athens AC and Unioto on the schedule, would like for us to replace someone for Zane Trace as they haven’t been as good recently. I feel like Fairland is better then Courthouse but that drive is atrocious along with them being DV

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

No bad road trips this season, with AC being the most difficult (the drive, not talking about the game).

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Wash Court house was 7-3 and D4 this past season. Much better for the Tigers than Fairland.
Athens, AC, Unioto all three good for playoff points. Athens and Unioto D3.
Zane Trace has been down recently and haven’t helped with playoff points but is one of the bigger SVC schools. I think we may have started playing them and Unioto when we were trying to get into the SVC.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Omega wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:40 pm I think Waverly fans have got to be pleased with the direction of the program. Gone are the boom and bust cycles of the past. Coach Crabtree has built a program that can reload instead of having to rebuild. While the Tigers are not ready to knock Wheelersburg off of their throne, the school and community are making the investments necessary to produce a consistent football winner.
They do a good job.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-foo ... be-powers/

Anybody see this article which includes OSU interest in Waverly’s Will Futhey?

More news today I’ll share later once I obtain more information.........

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Can’t believe he’s not at ironton! I thought only real college players play there.

On a serious note, he’s D1 all the way. He’s still young so not sure what his ceiling his but he’s got the size and ability.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Word is Ohio State recruiting paid a visit to Waverly High School today.
I believe it was Ed Terwilliger.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Update on QB Shanks: His progress is ahead of schedule. Indicated he will start running on it yet this month. He has one of the best if not the best athletic trainers in all of southern Ohio with him each step of the way. He's been throwing a lot and has an incredible arm - can't wait to watch a healthy Haydn Shanks hit the field next football season.
Saw Dawson Shoemaker at the basketball game tonight and the Junior to be is going to be a flat out stud. He's working hard in the weight room as well as speed and agility.
No update on Wolf but hopefully he is progressing very well, working hard to get back to 100%.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

smurray wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:24 pm Update on QB Shanks: His progress is ahead of schedule. Indicated he will start running on it yet this month. He has one of the best if not the best athletic trainers in all of southern Ohio with him each step of the way. He's been throwing a lot and has an incredible arm - can't wait to watch a healthy Haydn Shanks hit the field next football season.
Saw Dawson Shoemaker at the basketball game tonight and the Junior to be is going to be a flat out stud. He's working hard in the weight room as well as speed and agility.
No update on Wolf but hopefully he is progressing very well, working hard to get back to 100%.
"Best Trainer in southern Ohio"

Do they have a rank now of best trainers in Southern Ohio?? Is Tom Bradys guy in Pike County?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

BBALL99 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 pm
smurray wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:24 pm Update on QB Shanks: His progress is ahead of schedule. Indicated he will start running on it yet this month. He has one of the best if not the best athletic trainers in all of southern Ohio with him each step of the way. He's been throwing a lot and has an incredible arm - can't wait to watch a healthy Haydn Shanks hit the field next football season.

Do they have a rank now of best trainers in Southern Ohio?? Is Tom Bradys guy in Pike County?
Sorry but she is amazing, loves what she does and takes her job as serious as I’ve seen anyway take their job. All the athletes love her... just giving her the well deserved props and shout out.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

smurray wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Sorry but she is amazing, loves what she does and takes her job as serious as I’ve seen anyway take their job. All the athletes love her... just giving her the well deserved props and shout out.
Not sure I wouldn’t worry more about the mental part more than physical
That knee gave out a lot on him last year
May be hard to get that out of your head

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

JTEK wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:51 am
smurray wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Not sure I wouldn’t worry more about the mental part more than physical
That knee gave out a lot on him last year
May be hard to get that out of your head
I think he’ll be fine with that. Seeing how he played through the injury & pain and was actually wanting to play basketball up and until his surgery tells me a lot about his mental status.
Many many many people told him to forgo the season but he played through it. Once surgeons got in there to do the surgery they said it was worse than they thought - were surprised he was able to play. That tells me a lot about his mental status. Surgery does sometimes effect your mind so we’ll see but I think he will be good to go.

Orange tiger25
Waterboy

Post by Orange tiger25 »

Heard anything on the Shanks kid?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Orange tiger25 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:30 pm Heard anything on the Shanks kid?
Haven’t heard anything since school closed but he was progressing very well - hard started running.

Orange tiger25
Waterboy

Post by Orange tiger25 »

Haven’t heard anything since school closed but he was progressing very well - hard started running.

That’s good can’t wait to see how he does on the field this year with a good leg.

Return to “Football”