Waverly 2020

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: Waverly 2020

Post by Poo Bear »

smurray wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:08 pm Wash Court house was 7-3 and D4 this past season. Much better for the Tigers than Fairland.
Athens, AC, Unioto all three good for playoff points. Athens and Unioto D3.
Zane Trace has been down recently and haven’t helped with playoff points but is one of the bigger SVC schools. I think we may have started playing them and Unioto when we were trying to get into the SVC.
Do you see a waverly/Jackson series returning ?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:57 pm
smurray wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:08 pm Wash Court house was 7-3 and D4 this past season. Much better for the Tigers than Fairland.
Zane Trace has been down recently and haven’t helped with playoff points but is one of the bigger SVC schools. I think we may have started playing them and Unioto when we were trying to get into the SVC.
I don’t know if there has been any talks or interest in that. I would say probably not at this point.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Offense should be solid again. A healthy Shanks and Wolf sure will be nice. I really think we'll see good things out of Shoemaker this year. The kid has been working extremely hard from what I'm hearing.

I expect the biggest improvement will be on the defensive side of the ball. Most of the starters are back and will be bigger and stronger. I think we'll see a defense that plays downhill more often than last year and is more physical.
Last edited by toast on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

toast wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:17 pm Offense should be solid again. A healthy Shanks and Wolf sure will be nice. I really think we'll see good things out of Shoemaker this year. The kid has been working extremely hard from what I'm hearing.

I expect the biggest improvement will be on the defensive side of the ball. Most of the starters are back and will be bigger and stronger. I think we'll see a defense that plays downhill more often than last year and is move physical.
With everyone healthy should be one the best TEAMS we’ve fielded in a long time. Shanks played UNBELIEVABLE with the injury he had, much much worse injury discovered when they got in there at surgery. Wolf should be close to 100% and will add a bunch to the offense and defense (he didnt play defense this past season).
Basically the entire offense returns with the exception of Payton and yes he was a huge game changer - he cannot be replaced no doubt. But, we will have the younger Shoemaker who will be a beast in the backfield (a different style of back) and a couple other guys with differing styles to mix in. The entire offensive line is back (they did a great job this past season) and return 5-6 talented receivers (Futhey, Brown, Wolf, Stulley, Morrison).
THESE GUYS RETURNING BIGGER, STRONGER, FASTER, QUICKER - EXPEREINCE.
Hopefully some guys who didn’t play this past season will be back on the field.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Sorry, no one will see the field this year.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:57 pm Do you see a waverly/Jackson series returning ?
Waverly and Jackson probably should play. They are pretty close. Hopefully we signed only a two year deal. That was a long trip from Athens

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:37 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:57 pm Do you see a waverly/Jackson series returning ?
Waverly and Jackson probably should play. They are pretty close. Hopefully we signed only a two year deal. That was a long trip from Athens
A trip to Athens isn’t as bad as the trip to Fairland Waverly has made 2 of last 4 years, lol.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Yeah, we have made two trips to Fairland recently. Of course they never made the trip to Athens. That’s a terrible drive.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Week 1 at Athens might sell out if Joe Burrow is able to make the game. Be the first game in the new Joe Burrow Stadium. Trimble and Nelsonville York play on Saturday.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

Would be nice if we could get them on the schedule long term. For some reason they don't seem to want to do that. Would be a great series IMO.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

In order to beat Waverly this year, teams are going to have to be able to stop their run with 6 in the box. Shanks will be too good against a cover 3. And he gets the ball
Out too quick to get pressure. Got to make him have to go to a second and third read.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:46 pm In order to beat Waverly this year, teams are going to have to be able to stop their run with 6 in the box. Shanks will be too good against a cover 3. And he gets the ball
Out too quick to get pressure. Got to make him have to go to a second and third read.
Correct but with Waverly returning the entire line I believe it is, that is going to be tough to do. I think you'll see more RBBC from Waverly this year, this brings up your point to 2nd and 3rd read which will still give Waverly the advantage because of athletes they have at those 2nd and 3rd options.

In order to beat Waverly teams will need to possess the ball for longer times and make the game shorter, keeping the Waverly offense off the field. This will be the key to beating Waverly this year, cutting down on the mistakes an increase in time of possession.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:46 pm In order to beat Waverly this year, teams are going to have to be able to stop their run with 6 in the box. Shanks will be too good against a cover 3. And he gets the ball
Correct but with Waverly returning the entire line I believe it is, that is going to be tough to do. I think you'll see more RBBC from Waverly this year, this brings up your point to 2nd and 3rd read which will still give Waverly the advantage because of athletes they have at those 2nd and 3rd options.

In order to beat Waverly teams will need to possess the ball for longer times and make the game shorter, keeping the Waverly offense off the field. This will be the key to beating Waverly this year, cutting down on the mistakes an increase in time of possession.
No doubt they have options. I was just saying that because the pocket would start to breakdown easier if he had to make 2nd to 3rd read. Good point on the time of possession

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:30 pm

No doubt they have options. I was just saying that because the pocket would start to breakdown easier if he had to make 2nd to 3rd read. Good point on the time of possession
That is exactly how Burg beat Waverly this past season, if memory serves Waverly touched the ball 2 times in the 3rd quarter and the 2nd time they got the ball was at the very end of the quarter. Before the game was basically wrapped up by Burg I think Waverly had 3 meaningful 2nd half possession and that's huge. Simply couldn't stop Burg from running the ball. Waverly MUST find the run defense to get them off the field, they have the players and athletes to do it, the coaching staff for waverly have to put a bigger emphasis on run defense this year. Honestly if I'm Waverly most teams they'll play this year I think the secondary can handle playing man to man, I'm loading the box and bringing more of a run blitz scheme to the table.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:12 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:30 pm

That is exactly how Burg beat Waverly this past season, if memory serves Waverly touched the ball 2 times in the 3rd quarter and the 2nd time they got the ball was at the very end of the quarter. Before the game was basically wrapped up by Burg I think Waverly had 3 meaningful 2nd half possession and that's huge. Simply couldn't stop Burg from running the ball. Waverly MUST find the run defense to get them off the field, they have the players and athletes to do it, the coaching staff for waverly have to put a bigger emphasis on run defense this year. Honestly if I'm Waverly most teams they'll play this year I think the secondary can handle playing man to man, I'm loading the box and bringing more of a run blitz scheme to the table.
I’m not sure what offense burg will bring to the table this year. Last year they were pretty much one dimensional in the run game. I’m sure they will want to be more balanced. I think they will be better in the QB department whoever it is.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly has 70+ kids out right now. That is huge for depth.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:16 pm Waverly has 70+ kids out right now. That is huge for depth.
Guessing the big question for Waverly is, how do they try and replace Shoemaker?? You're not going to replace the player but I'm sure they hope with a few different guys they can replicate his production to a degree.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:24 am
Poo Bear wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:57 pm
I don’t know if there has been any talks or interest in that. I would say probably not at this point.
Is this the last year of Waverly/Unioto?

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

waverly has a great student section and food to boot and basketball on turf

Return to “Football”