1960 Ironton Tigers

mattash
Site Admin

1960 Ironton Tigers

Post by mattash »

Just read from locos they had 2 NFL players on the same team.

Coy Bacon, Ironton HS (1960), Jackson State - Def. Line; 14ish year NFL Career, pro-bowler

Dan Pride, Ironton HS (1960?), Tennessee State and Jackson State, Linebacker; played with the Bears

Anyone have any stories about this squad ?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
loganlocos
SEOP

Re: 1960 Ironton Tigers

Post by loganlocos »

mattash wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:04 pm Just read from locos they had 2 NFL players on the same team.

Coy Bacon, Ironton HS (1960), Jackson State - Def. Line; 14ish year NFL Career, pro-bowler

Dan Pride, Ironton HS (1960?), Tennessee State and Jackson State, Linebacker; played with the Bears

Anyone have any stories about this squad ?
They definitely played together - I couldn't tell for sure what year Dan Pride graduated.

If Bacon graduated in '60, his senior football season would have been 1959 FWIW

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

While you're talking about that you might also be interested in this. This man from Ironton skip college and went straight into the NFL. I remember him as a boy seeing him. I'll swear he had a head that was as big as a football helmet and I'm pretty sure they're all related Coy and Boykins

https://www.irontontribune.com/2018/11/ ... -for-pros/

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Boykin bypassed college for pros - The Tribune

Jim Walker
jim.walker@irontontribune.com

Cincinnati wasn’t the first professional team in Ohio to use the nickname “Bengals.”
In an attempt to resurrect the success and interest generated by the Ironton Tanks, the Ironton Bengals were formed in 1948 and were part of a semi-professional team that play other teams from Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia.
The main weapon for the Bengals was a young, powerful running back named Dick “Meat” Boykin who had put together an impressive career at Ironton High School.
Boykin is considered by many — and rightfully so — the best running back to play at Ironton and possibly in the Tri-State area.
After playing end his first two season, Boykin was moved to the backfield. Ironton was just 2-6 in 1947 but 6-2 the following year.
Ironton’s scheduled included Stonewall Jackson (W.Va.), Huntington (W.Va.) High, Wayne (W.Va.), Chillicothe, Ashland (Ky.), Dayton Chaminade, Columbus North and Portsmouth.
Columbus East replaced Columbus North, Hamilton Catholic took the place of Stonewall Jackson and Lancaster fill the void of Huntington.
Boykin graduated in 1948 and agreed to play at Indiana University.
However, Indiana coach Bo McMillian — a native of Ashland, Ky. — was hired as the head coach of the Detroit Lions and took Boykin with him to the Lions and bypassed college football. He signed a contract for $4,000 a year or the equivalent of 41,972 in 2018.
“My mom told me that Bo McMillian said, ‘You’re not going to Indiana. You’re coming with me,” said Rick Boykin, son of Dick Boykin and an outstanding running back in his own right who played for Ohio University.
Unfortunately, Boykin suffered a knee injury halfway through the season that prematurely ended his professional playing career.
He later cut his hand working for Andy Washington Glass Company and was never able to grip the football tightly.
But Boykin wasn’t just a great football player. He also played basketball and baseball at Ironton and later played professional softball.
Ironton put together a professional team in 1948 and played in what was called the Tri-State Conference. Teams from Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia were part of the league.
Since the high school team was the Tigers, the professional team christened itself the Bengals.
Led by Boykin and a star-studded roster, the Bengals posted a 9-0-1 record and won the Tri-State Conference championship.
The Bengals played in the league in 1949 but it was soon disbanded.

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Cool story. Thanks for sharing!

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Aesome read this morning. Thanks for the trip thru the history books

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

his son Rodney is a dear friend of mine. we graduated together. that's how humble rod is. I had no idea this about meat. until I read this article. all the years we spent working out and playing ball together, and he never even mentioned that to me.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

in 1960-61 the sports in the tri state was unreal.
I believe Ironton’s basketball team went like 16-4. Losing to Ashland and Portsmouth. Both Ashland and Portsmouth won state titles in ky and ohio that year. Also, Huntington High won the wva title that year. I believe Huntington Douglas was still open and won the wva open title.
Talk to Dan Pride about that incredible season. He would have played against some incredible talent in that year

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

kantucky wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:21 pm Boykin bypassed college for pros - The Tribune

Jim Walker
jim.walker@irontontribune.com

Cincinnati wasn’t the first professional team in Ohio to use the nickname “Bengals.”
In an attempt to resurrect the success and interest generated by the Ironton Tanks, the Ironton Bengals were formed in 1948 and were part of a semi-professional team that play other teams from Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia.
The main weapon for the Bengals was a young, powerful running back named Dick “Meat” Boykin who had put together an impressive career at Ironton High School.
Boykin is considered by many — and rightfully so — the best running back to play at Ironton and possibly in the Tri-State area.
After playing end his first two season, Boykin was moved to the backfield. Ironton was just 2-6 in 1947 but 6-2 the following year.
Ironton’s scheduled included Stonewall Jackson (W.Va.), Huntington (W.Va.) High, Wayne (W.Va.), Chillicothe, Ashland (Ky.), Dayton Chaminade, Columbus North and Portsmouth.
Columbus East replaced Columbus North, Hamilton Catholic took the place of Stonewall Jackson and Lancaster fill the void of Huntington.
Boykin graduated in 1948 and agreed to play at Indiana University.
However, Indiana coach Bo McMillian — a native of Ashland, Ky. — was hired as the head coach of the Detroit Lions and took Boykin with him to the Lions and bypassed college football. He signed a contract for $4,000 a year or the equivalent of 41,972 in 2018.
“My mom told me that Bo McMillian said, ‘You’re not going to Indiana. You’re coming with me,” said Rick Boykin, son of Dick Boykin and an outstanding running back in his own right who played for Ohio University.
Unfortunately, Boykin suffered a knee injury halfway through the season that prematurely ended his professional playing career.
He later cut his hand working for Andy Washington Glass Company and was never able to grip the football tightly.
But Boykin wasn’t just a great football player. He also played basketball and baseball at Ironton and later played professional softball.
Ironton put together a professional team in 1948 and played in what was called the Tri-State Conference. Teams from Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia were part of the league.
Since the high school team was the Tigers, the professional team christened itself the Bengals.
Led by Boykin and a star-studded roster, the Bengals posted a 9-0-1 record and won the Tri-State Conference championship.
The Bengals played in the league in 1949 but it was soon disbanded.
Great Read

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Football”