SEO 8 man Football: St. Joe, Clay, New Boston, Webster, Western....

Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

SEO 8 man Football: St. Joe, Clay, New Boston, Webster, Western....

Post by Frequent Flyer »

We are working on a plan to put a program together at St Joe. Even hoping we can get money together to put an end zone with our colts on it in the Tank.

There is always a lot of talk about conference realignment on this board but I would like to suggest a possible league for the 8 man game.

Here is what I see:

1. Ironton St Joe
2. Federal Hocking- they need to quit fighting the 11 man battle. We lost that one and they will too.
3. Huntington St Joe - could be a potential member if the WVSSAC gives them the go ahead
4. Hannah - see comments on Fed Hocking
5. Portsmouth Notre Dame - see comments on Fed Hocking
6. Southern- they are next team in their league with a numbers problem

Granted there is a small issue of travel but I can see this taking off and doing well

Thoughts?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: SEO 8 man Football

Post by Orange and Brown »

Frequent Flyer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:35 pm We are working on a plan to put a program together at St Joe. Even hoping we can get money together to put an end zone with our colts on it in the Tank.

There is always a lot of talk about conference realignment on this board but I would like to suggest a possible league for the 8 man game.

Here is what I see:

1. Ironton St Joe
2. Federal Hocking- they need to quit fighting the 11 man battle. We lost that one and they will too.
3. Huntington St Joe - could be a potential member if the WVSSAC gives them the go ahead

Granted there is a small issue of travel but I can see this taking off and doing well

Thoughts?
South Gallia has less kids than Southern does.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Some of the TVC Hocking numbers could be the Trimble Effect. Maybe some parents do not want their kids to play against Trimble because their program has just pasted the others by so much?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If this would ever happen I hope it stays with the numbers of small schools. Just don't like the thought that bigger schools with numbers getting in later on down the road.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I like it, great for small schools.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: SEO 8 man Football: St. Joe, Clay, New Boston, Webster, Western....

Post by mattash »

8 man league

Clay
New Boston
South Webster
St. Joe
Western
Some SHAC schools

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Frequent Flyer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:35 pm We are working on a plan to put a program together at St Joe. Even hoping we can get money together to put an end zone with our colts on it in the Tank.

Here is what I see:

1. Ironton St Joe

Thoughts?
Is St Joe’s school actually supporting this or is it just a proposal from some parents? They barely got enough for a soccer team (although their soccer pretty good given their numbers). As for Webster, I can guarantee there no interest there in football (regular or 8 man) from the school.*

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

mattash wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:06 pm 8 man league

Clay
New Boston
South Webster
St. Joe
Western
Some SHAC schools
If the OHSAA fully sanctions eight man football, the action would give schools who are experiencing participation number shortfalls a chance to continue or start/restart programs. Yet even 8 man squads would be problematic as there would still be cost pressures placed upon already tight school budgets. While I think the high school football experience is valuable in building student character and community bonds, there is one important question to ask: is starting or reverting to eight man football truly in the best interest of the student body or is it being done so middle aged adults can satisfy their egos by reliving the glories (real or imagined) of their lost youth through the exploits of their children?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Clay
New Boston
South Webster
St. Joe
Western
Some SHAC schools
You can take South Webster off the list. They had the chance to have football a few years ago, even had a peewee system, but the school decided not to back it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Omega wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:34 pm

Clay
New Boston
South Webster
St. Joe
Western
Some SHAC schools
If the OHSAA fully sanctions eight man football, the action would give schools who are experiencing participation number shortfalls a chance to continue or start/restart programs. Yet even 8 man squads would be problematic as there would still be cost pressures placed upon already tight school budgets. While I think the high school football experience is valuable in building student character and community bonds, there is one important question to ask: is starting or reverting to eight man football truly in the best interest of the student body or is it being done so middle aged adults can satisfy their egos by reliving the glories (real or imagined) of their lost youth through the exploits of their children?
I think that might be a big of a stretch when referencing the reasons behind it as being adult driven. The schools up north who are going to 8-man were teams that had been 11 at one time and simply couldn't make it work it was for the kids sake that schools canceled seasons instead of sending out 14 kids to play. Those same 14 kids are the reason I believe a school would start to look at other avenues as they know they're not the only one with number issues. Given the dropping numbers over the years for just about every school there will be more 8-man team football teams created than I think most on here will imagine. Also with this list Western has been one that has been trying to have 11 man football and honestly 8-man might be the way to go for them. As you said given the cost to have the sport and the increase travel as there will be fewer to start obviously I think it's just more than adults trying to satisfy their egos. Not sure you're going to get that with 8-man football, you start 8-man get kids interested who knows maybe numbers climb.

Return to “Football”