St. Joe to start 8 man football

I-TownFanatic
Freshman Team

St. Joe to start 8 man football

Post by I-TownFanatic »

Heard this was in the works. Any truth? Told they could play 8 man football and soccer. Bet enrollment goes up

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: St. Joe to start 8 man football

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I’ve never seen 8 man Football, how many schools in Ohio have 8 man Football? Do they have Leagues, Playoffs etc?

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Yep and Bob Lutz is the coach :x

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:58 am I’ve never seen 8 man Football, how many schools in Ohio have 8 man Football? Do they have Leagues, Playoffs etc?
Their isn't a lot of teams and it will be a lot of travel for southern teams.
The big difference besides using 8 men is the field is only like 40 yards wide.
No leaves as far as I know and no playoffs because theirarent many schools doing 8 man.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:45 pm Yep and Bob Lutz is the coach :x
You been in the sauce again Dutch............ ;) ;)

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

:)
Flyers58 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:11 pm
TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:45 pm Yep and Bob Lutz is the coach :x
You been in the sauce again Dutch............ ;) ;) :) :)

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:46 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:58 am I’ve never seen 8 man Football, how many schools in Ohio have 8 man Football? Do they have Leagues, Playoffs etc?
Their isn't a lot of teams and it will be a lot of travel for southern teams.
The big difference besides using 8 men is the field is only like 40 yards wide.
No leaves as far as I know and no playoffs because theirarent many schools doing 8 man.
Thanks for the info, sounds great for small schools.

bullfrog93
Freshman Team

Post by bullfrog93 »

Which end zone will get replaced to include the flyer logo and colors at The Tank?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bullfrog93 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:28 am Which end zone will get replaced to include the flyer logo and colors at The Tank?
It was posted on the other thread discussing the 8-man football and possible leagues. This is what they said.....We are working on a plan to put a program together at St Joe. Even hoping we can get money together to put an end zone with our colts on it in the Tank.

Just pure speculation and hope but that isn't going to happen.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I ain't either. wonder how they do it. maybe 3 lineman, a qb and a couple ends or something.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Looks like the blue team plays with 4 linemen and the white had 5 (could have been a TE).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUPGbqH ... mb_rel_err

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

From what I read, most of the teams in Ohio are way up north, except for Bishop Rosecrans. This could be an option for ND or other local schools who struggle with numbers. Not sure if OHSAA will ever sanction the sport, but it probably doesn't matter to a lot of schools. This could also be a possibility for schools like SW or NB to start football.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

St. Joe Momma, am I right?

Nigel Tufnel
Waterboy

Post by Nigel Tufnel »

Yes, the schools that have chosen to play 8-man so far (with the exception of Rosecrans) are all in NW Ohio. Four of them have tentatively formed a league, and a few other schools are also considering 8-man around them. I think this is a good option for small schools, but the problem with starting this up is that the areas with schools small enough to consider this option (with only a few exceptions) are either in the NW quarter or SE quarter of the state. Other areas of the state have both larger populations and were more heavily consolidated, leading to fewer very small schools. If enough SE schools opt for this, it could be a good option, but it would be impractical to be one of only a few and have to try and travel near Toledo 3-4 times a season. I have watched 8-man live a few times (I lived in Oklahoma for awhile) and it is an exciting brand of football.

Guinness1759
Waterboy

Post by Guinness1759 »

BYE BYE Soccer team!!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Guinness1759 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:02 pm BYE BYE Soccer team!!
If they can have girls soccer and volleyball in the fall, there is no reason they can't have soccer and 8 man football. Probably a lot of overlap to the rosters, but it could work.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I think there will be a larger group of schools dropping down to 8-man ball, then people thing and that is before the OHSAA sanctions it and makes it a division of its own. I also believe we will see some schools bring football back and some schools having it for the first time. Hopefully this leads those schools to getting the numbers to climb to 11-man football. It will be a slow process.

Return to “Football”