University of Rio Grande NEWS

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: University of Rio Grande NEWS

Post by Omega »

It appears that the "Farm", and assuming all of its acreage had been placed on the National Register of Historical Places which would severely limit donations of land etc. The attached links do not specifically identify ownership of The Farm, but it may be that it is owned by a holding company who sells the branded foods in stores while the restaurants are a separate entity.

https://www.bobevansgrocery.com/our-sto ... -the-farm/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Evans_Restaurants

As to Rio starting football, as others have posted above, the chances are slim and none. A local college in Upstate South Carolina started a D2 football program about 5 years ago, and their start up costs ran $15 Million which did not include any facilities. I am sure Rio has more pressing financial needs.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Wow. I did not know that. The way the AD was talking about getting a rifle team and all the places they had to build it like all the land bordering the soccer fields and towards where the festival is held was still with the university when it was given to them.

Intresting

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Omega wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:38 am It appears that the "Farm", and assuming all of its acreage had been placed on the National Register of Historical Places which would severely limit donations of land etc. The attached links do not specifically identify ownership of The Farm, but it may be that it is owned by a holding company who sells the branded foods in stores while the restaurants are a separate entity.

https://www.bobevansgrocery.com/our-sto ... -the-farm/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Evans_Restaurants

As to Rio starting football, as others have posted above, the chances are slim and none. A local college in Upstate South Carolina started a D2 football program about 5 years ago, and their start up costs ran $15 Million which did not include any facilities. I am sure Rio has more pressing financial needs.

I don’t foresee a football program any time soon either but what is good for the university and local athletes is the start of the new wreslting program this coming fall. That’s a heckuva an opportunity for local youth grapplers both male and female

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Most of the farm land was sold. But very little of the farm land that bob Evans owned was out at the farm. I do believe that Rio grande has the ability to grow on over 100 acres out by the college but it may be less then that. Bob Evans owned a ton of land out by sausage shop and charlois hills. it is my understanding this is the land that was sold off.

Most of us from area will be happy if the university of rio grande still in existence in a few years let alone have multiple sports teams.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

svac83 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:28 pm Most of the farm land was sold. But very little of the farm land that bob Evans owned was out at the farm. I do believe that Rio grande has the ability to grow on over 100 acres out by the college but it may be less then that. Bob Evans owned a ton of land out by sausage shop and charlois hills. it is my understanding this is the land that was sold off.

Most of us from area will be happy if the university of rio grande still in existence in a few years let alone have multiple sports teams.

That’s the second time I have heard that about Rio in days apart. What is going on for me have heard from totally different avenues that Rio May no longer be in existence in a few years ??

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I have heard that as well. I also heard it may turn into just a 2 yr junior college.

Firebird88
Waterboy

Post by Firebird88 »

Rio adding football again would be a good move in my opinion, they had football until about 1950 and sold their jerseys and equipment to Chester high school who had their first year of football in 51 or 52 and eastern used to use the old sled Chester bought from rio I’m not sure if they still use it or not.

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

Is this going to be wrestling or rastlin? I'd go see rastlin. Are the women and men going to be rastlin against each other?

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:31 pm Is this going to be wrestling or rastlin? I'd go see rastlin. Are the women and men going to be rastlin against each other?
:D :D :D

Homie Chadwell
Riding the Bench

Post by Homie Chadwell »

The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:31 pm Is this going to be wrestling or rastlin? I'd go see rastlin. Are the women and men going to be rastlin against each other?
Mud, chocolate pudding, or green jello?

Return to “Football”