Gallia Academy to the TVC-Ohio

itsme
Varsity

Re: GA to the TVC-O

Post by itsme »

goUK wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:05 pm Not much of a difference in travel. In football this equals out to about 37 extra minutes of driving per season. GA has won multiple OVC championships in a variety of sports already but in no way are they dominant. OVC is perfect except for GA being in the middle of nowhere for any conference they are in.

Portsmouth 1:12. NY 1:10
South point 1:05. Athens 1:02
Coal grove 1:03. VC :56
Ironton 1:00. Alexander :55
Chesapeake :56. Wellston :43
Rock hill :53. Meigs :36
Fairland :43. RV :18

Trimble 1:24 if they ever switched RV
Times 2. you have to go back home

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:58 pm
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:26 pm Rock Hill is probably closer to an hour and fifteen minutes as well, just because of how curvy 93 is, past OH
Yeah. Those all are terrible roads. I always thought GA should be in the TVC. Meigs/RV vs Gallia would be their big attendance games
Gallia been playing both Meigs and RV in the last 5 seasons..

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

NY BUCK wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:29 pm
Pat wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:25 pm
55buckeyes98 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:20 pm Another option might be to just go to 2 Divisions of 8 actually:
TVC Ohio:
Add Galia Academy
Add Warren Local or Oak Hill?
Athens
Vinton County
Meigs
Alexander
Nelsonville York
Wellston

TVC Hocking
River Valley
Trimble
Belpre
Fed Hock
Southern
Eastern
Waterford
South Galia
NY should not be with the schools you listed. ALL of our kids need to be able to compete for league titles, not just football. :roll:
NY should be with the big schools in football only. Any other sport we should be in the smaller division.
Lets just pick what division you want to be in from year to year and sport to sport so you can compete. That seems fair.

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

itsme wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:14 am
Pat wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:25 pm

NY should not be with the schools you listed. ALL of our kids need to be able to compete for league titles, not just football. :roll:
NY should be with the big schools in football only. Any other sport we should be in the smaller division.
Lets just pick what division you want to be in from year to year and sport to sport so you can compete. That seems fair.
You’re right. NY playing in the big division in football, and smaller division in every other sport is just an absurd idea.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

itsme wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:03 am
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:26 pm Rock Hill is probably closer to an hour and fifteen minutes as well, just because of how curvy 93 is, past OH
Yeah. Those all are terrible roads. I always thought GA should be in the TVC. Meigs/RV vs Gallia would be their big attendance games
The Gallia/River Valley series is ending.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 pm There is no way half those OVC travel times are correct. Even by car, I'm hard pressed to reach Portsmouth in less than an hour and a half. P-ville is an hour from 4th ave in Gallipolis. Ironton is at least 1:15.

TVC times look fairly accurate other than VC
All 14 times are from google maps from the high schools specifically. Yes busses may be slower but that would equal out to either conference.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 am
itsme wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:03 am

The Gallia/River Valley series is ending.
you right RV playing South Gallia

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

NY BUCK wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 am

You’re right. NY playing in the big division in football, and smaller division in every other sport is just an absurd idea.
As a former Buckeye we were best at Football, could compete in boys Basketball and Baseball were decent at Track and Wrestling. Our girls sports were not great. Now I see Wrestling as elite, track and volleyball has been very successful and football is football. Girls basketball is really improved. Lately I have seen a decline in basketball and I'm not really sure about the other sports. Bottom line, in my opinion, is just get better. No excuses, hire the best coaches who commit to working with athletes all year round and work with the coaches of other sports to make all the programs great. The school and community need to continue to support the programs and also help students with their academics and find adults who are all in. I know that is easier said than done, but Boston, Meade, Boston and Richards have all been able to do it, Yinger did it and I am sure there are others that I apologize for not mentioning. When I played baseball in HS we had one paid coach and one volunteer assistant and Coach Watkins did the book. How does that develop your team? Many times we had a player coaching first base? We had more coaching at the youth level at times so it showed a lack of support in school sports. I'm not blaming anyone for that, but research shows that kids who are connected to something at school will do better academically and better develop socially. We should continue to find positive educational extra-curricular activities that make a difference to our kids lives and full support them. I'm not sure if it is a participation issue in all sports across the state, but we also need the parents on board to help their children see and understand what is best for them. The 3 sport athlete seems to be a rare breed anymore, but why is that? Communities need to continue to rally and give guidance to our young people and provide and push them toward positive activities. The more our own communities (parents/adults) work against one another and blame one another or have parents arguing, etc. If parents are not willing or able to be a coach then it's your job to support the coaches. It's ok to have a discussion about it with your coaches something a parent may not understand, but we all know more often than not how those conversations go.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

55buckeyes98 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:32 pm
NY BUCK wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 am

As a former Buckeye we were best at Football, could compete in boys Basketball and Baseball were decent at Track and Wrestling. Our girls sports were not great. Now I see Wrestling as elite, track and volleyball has been very successful and football is football. Girls basketball is really improved. Lately I have seen a decline in basketball and I'm not really sure about the other sports. Bottom line, in my opinion, is just get better. No excuses, hire the best coaches who commit to working with athletes all year round and work with the coaches of other sports to make all the programs great. The school and community need to continue to support the programs and also help students with their academics and find adults who are all in. I know that is easier said than done, but Boston, Meade, Boston and Richards have all been able to do it, Yinger did it and I am sure there are others that I apologize for not mentioning. When I played baseball in HS we had one paid coach and one volunteer assistant and Coach Watkins did the book. How does that develop your team? Many times we had a player coaching first base? We had more coaching at the youth level at times so it showed a lack of support in school sports. I'm not blaming anyone for that, but research shows that kids who are connected to something at school will do better academically and better develop socially. We should continue to find positive educational extra-curricular activities that make a difference to our kids lives and full support them. I'm not sure if it is a participation issue in all sports across the state, but we also need the parents on board to help their children see and understand what is best for them. The 3 sport athlete seems to be a rare breed anymore, but why is that? Communities need to continue to rally and give guidance to our young people and provide and push them toward positive activities. The more our own communities (parents/adults) work against one another and blame one another or have parents arguing, etc. If parents are not willing or able to be a coach then it's your job to support the coaches. It's ok to have a discussion about it with your coaches something a parent may not understand, but we all know more often than not how those conversations go.
We can't field JV teams for baseball and Softball. We don't have the numbers to compete with Athens and even VC in Track. Volleyball is up and down but numbers wise the girls fit into the Hocking too.
We have a great track program but can't get girls out to run. We have solid Athletes but we can't compete year in and year out in boys basketball. Our girls program has been solid for a long time and will be pretty good moving forward but we had 8 girls play basketball last year. 8!
We should have enough for a JV next year but a couple more years like that and we are done.....
Football still gets kids out and we have a solid staff and kids who have committed to winning. We have to look at what is best for our kids, not what's best for you or me as a fan.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
rc1129
Riding the Bench

Post by rc1129 »

TVC-Hocking

Eastern
Southern
Waterford
Belpre
Fort Frye
Caldwell
Trimble
Federal Hocking

TVC-Ohio

Meigs
NY
Alexander
Wellston
Oak Hill
Vinton County
Southeastern
River Valley

Revive the SEOAL

Athens
Logan
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Marietta
Warren

South Gallia to SOC-1

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

I guess it all depends on what your goals are: 1. To compete at District, Regional and State levels or 2. Win the TVC
I see NY is now D6 in football and I'm assuming 3 in other sports? What is best for the kids is to compete at a higher level. Fill the rest of your schedule with TVC Hocking if you need to compete there first, but again I think it is a much bigger concern than something a couple of people have to figure out. Those numbers are interesting, but I guess the question is why? Who is out there figuring out why and doing something to resolve it. Playing in the Hocking is not going to make NY better. Also it's an education process that adults have to educate the kids and their parents that it's not all about winning, it's about learning. If kids are learning they will play, if the goal is to compete and get better, they will play. I am 100% guilty as something I have had to work it... if it's only about winning and undoubtedly when you don't win, kids will quit. When you don't value the #9 and #10 person on your bench or you don't give them a glimmer of hope... they will quit. We have to EnCourage kids as no one wants to wait their turn to play, so they stop trying to develop and they quit because they have no hope. I'm not saying this is best for me as I'm not even involved, but what I think is best for the kids is to allow them to compete at the highest level and they will rise to the challenge... especially if they are fully supported.

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

I agree with both points being made about staying in the Ohio in other sports or moving to the Hocking. I think problems with the other sports is just lack of involvement, football is everything at NY and throughout the community, it makes kids want to come out and play and be involved. Other sports lack behind tremendously. Hopefully with the right support and coaching kids will start to come out more. Girls basketball seems to be doing well as it has in the past, like O&B said Volleyball tends to be up and down, boys basketball I think has the right coach to help get kids out, and for football, I think the future looks pretty good for the bucks with the classes coming up talent wise. Should be a good year this year. Ready for the season to get started.

BigBendSports2020
Waterboy

Post by BigBendSports2020 »

Why would Vinton or Meigs agree to join the bigger school divisions when they can’t win with the current lineup?

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Why wouldn't they? It's not all about winning. Only one school can win anything in any conference every year per sport. It's about competing at a level of schools equal or similar in size in a relative close proximity. Conference expansion should be considered not only what is best for the schools in the conference, but also what is best for schools who want to join and that's not about League Titles. In my opinion that is why I scoff at the idea of Hamilton township and Teays valley schools in the MSL not adding Logan to their league. For the most part Logan would fit with those schools in my opinion and with Bloom Carroll, Fairfield Union and a few others. It's not about being able to beat Logan, it's about adding a quality school with quality facilities into a league of close proximity, but it might take a little bit of realignment. I'm not looking exactly at who is all in the league right now, but the MSL seems to be a good fit and MSL schools are worried about what? Winning? Competing? That is a district/community/coaching concern. Anyone can compete with the right approach and mindset. I mean is Logan winning Regional and State championships every year? I'm just using them as an example. What are people so afraid of? Johnstown was in the MBC and for the most part was 1st or 2nd every year and was OK in the playoffs, then they joined the LCL. They played against bigger and better schools and their playoff success was much greater because they were more tested or "ready" for the level of competition in the post season. They might have had less undefeated seasons, but a better league made them better than beating up on smaller schools that were in the MBC even though there are some "good" schools in that league and decent parity. I think every school had made the playoffs at least once from 2002 until the MBC realigned when Johnstown, Northridge and Utica joined the LCL. Within reason you have to have a play anyone at anytime mentality outside of complete mismatches like Nelsonville playing Lancaster would be a big jump.

BigBendSports2020
Waterboy

55buckeyes98 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:28 am Why wouldn't they? It's not all about winning. Only one school can win anything in any conference every year per sport. It's about competing at a level of schools equal or similar in size in a relative close proximity. Conference expansion should be considered not only what is best for the schools in the conference, but also what is best for schools who want to join and that's not about League Titles. In my opinion that is why I scoff at the idea of Hamilton township and Teays valley schools in the MSL not adding Logan to their league. For the most part Logan would fit with those schools in my opinion and with Bloom Carroll, Fairfield Union and a few others. It's not about being able to beat Logan, it's about adding a quality school with quality facilities into a league of close proximity, but it might take a little bit of realignment. I'm not looking exactly at who is all in the league right now, but the MSL seems to be a good fit and MSL schools are worried about what? Winning? Competing? That is a district/community/coaching concern. Anyone can compete with the right approach and mindset. I mean is Logan winning Regional and State championships every year? I'm just using them as an example. What are people so afraid of? Johnstown was in the MBC and for the most part was 1st or 2nd every year and was OK in the playoffs, then they joined the LCL. They played against bigger and better schools and their playoff success was much greater because they were more tested or "ready" for the level of competition in the post season. They might have had less undefeated seasons, but a better league made them better than beating up on smaller schools that were in the MBC even though there are some "good" schools in that league and decent parity. I think every school had made the playoffs at least once from 2002 until the MBC realigned when Johnstown, Northridge and Utica joined the LCL. Within reason you have to have a play anyone at anytime mentality outside of complete mismatches like Nelsonville playing Lancaster would be a big jump.
The year meigs went 8-2 and made the playoffs they lost to
2-8 warren... they can’t compete with the bigger schools even in their best years. Sorry. It just doesn’t make sense. Athens should leave and no other big schools need to be in the TVC.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

2-8 warren... they can’t compete with the bigger schools even in their best years. Sorry. It just doesn’t make sense. Athens should leave and no other big schools need to be in the TVC.
[/quote]

Bulldogs invited and accepted. Not going anywhere

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

Bulldogs are here to stay. They have been in the league for over 10 years now, it’s time to give it up. I think the TVC is better with them in it.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

BigBendSports2020 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:32 pm
55buckeyes98 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:28 am Why wouldn't they? It's not all about winning. Only one school can win anything in any conference every year per sport. It's about competing at a level of schools equal or similar in size in a relative close proximity. Conference expansion should be considered not only what is best for the schools in the conference, but also what is best for schools who want to join and that's not about League Titles. In my opinion that is why I scoff at the idea of Hamilton township and Teays valley schools in the MSL not adding Logan to their league. For the most part Logan would fit with those schools in my opinion and with Bloom Carroll, Fairfield Union and a few others. It's not about being able to beat Logan, it's about adding a quality school with quality facilities into a league of close proximity, but it might take a little bit of realignment. I'm not looking exactly at who is all in the league right now, but the MSL seems to be a good fit and MSL schools are worried about what? Winning? Competing? That is a district/community/coaching concern. Anyone can compete with the right approach and mindset. I mean is Logan winning Regional and State championships every year? I'm just using them as an example. What are people so afraid of? Johnstown was in the MBC and for the most part was 1st or 2nd every year and was OK in the playoffs, then they joined the LCL. They played against bigger and better schools and their playoff success was much greater because they were more tested or "ready" for the level of competition in the post season. They might have had less undefeated seasons, but a better league made them better than beating up on smaller schools that were in the MBC even though there are some "good" schools in that league and decent parity. I think every school had made the playoffs at least once from 2002 until the MBC realigned when Johnstown, Northridge and Utica joined the LCL. Within reason you have to have a play anyone at anytime mentality outside of complete mismatches like Nelsonville playing Lancaster would be a big jump.
Meigs was D4 then and Warren was D3 lol Sorry you can't compete with schools one division bigger than you Heck you can't compete with schools one division smaller than you either. :lol:

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
BigBendSports2020
Waterboy

NY BUCK wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:00 am Bulldogs are here to stay. They have been in the league for over 10 years now, it’s time to give it up. I think the TVC is better with them in it.
How can you say it’s better? They win almost every championship in every sport. I know you’re from Nelsonville and you can compete in football and welcome the rivalry but what about other sports?

BigBendSports2020
Waterboy

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:24 am
BigBendSports2020 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:32 pm
Meigs was D4 then and Warren was D3 lol Sorry you can't compete with schools one division bigger than you Heck you can't compete with schools one division smaller than you either. :lol:
I root for a lot of teams not just Meigs. I would try to take up for Meigs but seeing you’re from NY and Meigs hasn’t beat you since 1998 I guess I have to accept your insult. Or did they beat you a couple years ago when you only won a couple games during the Coach Boston drama year?

Return to “Football”