Green Football 2020

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Green Football 2020

Post by BigBoneJerome »

Didn't know Ted Newsome left to be Irontons line coach. Who's the new coach going to be ?

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Green Football 2020

Post by art_vandelay »

Don't know if I can recall a head coach voluntarily leaving to take a position coach job elsewhere. Tells me that things are looking pretty bleak for Green next few years. Even before this, I heard that numbers were gonna be an issue at Green again...can't imagine a coaching change helping that.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:04 pm Don't know if I can recall a head coach voluntarily leaving to take a position coach job elsewhere. Tells me that things are looking pretty bleak for Green next few years. Even before this, I heard that numbers were gonna be an issue at Green again...can't imagine a coaching change helping that.*
Things are bleak at Green and things are unbelievably bright at Ironton. Ironton has a legitimate chance to win a state championship or at least get near that point again. Even though it's a transition from a head coach to an assistant coach, I still view it as an upgrade.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:16 am
art_vandelay wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:04 pm Don't know if I can recall a head coach voluntarily leaving to take a position coach job elsewhere. Tells me that things are looking pretty bleak for Green next few years. Even before this, I heard that numbers were gonna be an issue at Green again...can't imagine a coaching change helping that.*
Things are bleak at Green and things are unbelievably bright at Ironton. Ironton has a legitimate chance to win a state championship or at least get near that point again. Even though it's a transition from a head coach to an assistant coach, I still view it as an upgrade.
Not sure why he felt the need to move, but I don’t think it’s because of an upgrade. Green and ironton are two different types of jobs. It’s not like he’s getting a pay raise. It’s probably more on the lines that he’s still interested in coaching but probably doesn’t want to be a head coach.

I think ironton will have to overcome the loss of Salyers, Jones, and fosson. I hate to say it but I think last year was irontons best chance. They still have Carrico and some talent but will it be enough to overcome those who have left?

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

If Green drops football can the players transfer without penalty or do the same transfer rules apply ?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:33 pm If Green drops football can the players transfer without penalty or do the same transfer rules apply ?
Probably for this year. What’s the rule for able to play if they don’t have that sport?

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:40 pm
TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:33 pm If Green drops football can the players transfer without penalty or do the same transfer rules apply ?
Probably for this year. What’s the rule for able to play if they don’t have that sport?
They will have to play at Notre Dame or Sciotoville I think.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:40 pm
Transfer penalty applies if they live in Green's district, attended Green the previous school year, played football for Green the previous year and then transfer to another school without moving outside of Green's district. This is how the OHSAA ruled on the various eligibility situations that were possible when Millersport cut their program in 2018. A student who played football for Millersport the year previous, who was still physically living in the Walnut Township (Millersport) district at the time of his transfer to Liberty Union was forced to sit out the first half of the football-playing season.*

* - Sitting out the first half of the season was, at the time, the current transfer penalty.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

If Green drops football before the first scrimmage of the 2020 season, a student who transfers from Green to another school (doesn't matter which) will have the transfer penalty apply to them for the 2020 season. Unless they physically move into another district.

If Green drops football before the first scrimmage of the 2020 season, a student who transfers from Green to another school will NOT have the transfer penalty apply to them for the 2021 season (and any season going forward after 2021). However, in both cases, the student can not play for a different school than the one they attend. They have to transfer to Wheelersburg, Notre Dame or any area public. Whether or not they move then is irrelevant to their eligibility, but it may affect the competitive balance number of the recipient school.

What I wrote above is a transpose of the OHSAA instructions to the Mid-State League when Millersport cancelled their program.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:45 am
Not sure why he felt the need to move, but I don’t think it’s because of an upgrade. Green and ironton are two different types of jobs. It’s not like he’s getting a pay raise. It’s probably more on the lines that he’s still interested in coaching but probably doesn’t want to be a head coach.

I think ironton will have to overcome the loss of Salyers, Jones, and fosson. I hate to say it but I think last year was irontons best chance. They still have Carrico and some talent but will it be enough to overcome those who have left?
Without even looking I would also imagine that Green's head coach pay and Ironton's assistant coach pay isn't much different.

Like it or not, being an assistant on a 12-1 or 14-1 Regional/State team looks much better on a resume than being a Head Coach of a 1-9 team....

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:37 pm

Without even looking I would also imagine that Green's head coach pay and Ironton's assistant coach pay isn't much different.

Like it or not, being an assistant on a 12-1 or 14-1 Regional/State team looks much better on a resume than being a Head Coach of a 1-9 team....
I don’t understand your logic. You’re basing leaving on last year’s records? Newsome had full control of his program where now he’s a line coach for a small d5 program that may or may or be a state qualifier this year. I’ve been told that ironton is one of the lowest paid districts in the county. So I guarantee he’s not getting lateral pay. If this was a college, I could easily understand but usually coaches go to other schools to advance in becoming a head coach. He’s already been that. I think he wants to coach but not be head coach. I don’t think pay has anything to do with it nor it be about an upgrade.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:55 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:37 pm

I don’t understand your logic. You’re basing leaving on last year’s records? Newsome had full control of his program where now he’s a line coach for a small d5 program that may or may or be a state qualifier this year. I’ve been told that ironton is one of the lowest paid districts in the county. So I guarantee he’s not getting lateral pay. If this was a college, I could easily understand but usually coaches go to other schools to advance in becoming a head coach. He’s already been that. I think he wants to coach but not be head coach. I don’t think pay has anything to do with it nor it be about an upgrade.
I don’t fully understand your logic either. Green is not a good job, and they’re about to go through another dry spell of talent for multiple years. Any head coach with a brain knows that and determines what route to take for the future. Sounds like an opportunity presented itself at Ironton and he jumped on it quickly. In that regard sure, maybe he didn’t want to be a head coach anymore. Or maybe he just considered it a better opportunity. All of this is pure speculation on both our ends so we’re better off to see if Mr. Newsome ever publicly states his reason otherwise it’s fairly pointless to continue discussing it.

CoachGTV
Waterboy

Post by CoachGTV »

Is there a serious chance they don't field a team or is it just hearsay at this point? Obviously isn't ideal to be looking for a new coach in March and hope an assist or someone is working with these boys in the weight room, but I'm sure the teams on their schedule would be interested in knowing if they don't intend to field a team.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Any word on who may take over in the furnace for the bobcats?

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Dan McDavid
Brian Williams

Who all has applied

Michael Scott
OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Cutting it a little close to be hiring this late? At least everyone is on the same level right now.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Green cutting sports? They have no football basketball or baseball coaches

Michael Scott
Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

They hired some guy from South Point.