3 Week Shutdown

Flexworth
Freshman Team

3 Week Shutdown

Post by Flexworth »

With this 3 week, state wide shutdown, is programs allowed to keep up with winter/spring workouts?

Bulldog84
All Conference

Re: 3 Week Shutdown

Post by Bulldog84 »

Flexworth wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:31 pm With this 3 week, state wide shutdown, is programs allowed to keep up with winter/spring workouts?
I’m being told no but things are changing by the minute so who really knows.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It would make no sense to come and lift and not come to class.

Flexworth
Freshman Team

Post by Flexworth »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:56 pm It would make no sense to come and lift and not come to class.
I see what your saying, but Dewines message said no people gatherings of more than 100. Therefore thats why all schools are closing. But Workouts wouldn’t consist of 100 or more. So could football programs still hold winter workouts? My guess is No, I'm sure its up to each school.

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

Flexworth wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:29 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:56 pm It would make no sense to come and lift and not come to class.
I see what your saying, but Dewines message said no people gatherings of more than 100. Therefore thats why all schools are closing. But Workouts wouldn’t consist of 100 or more. So could football programs still hold winter workouts? My guess is No, I'm sure its up to each school.
They could if they break it up. Say freshmen/ sophomores Monday & Thursday and junior/ seniors Tuesday & Friday or half in am then other half in PM.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Schools are allowed to practice.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

What message is sent if we shut down schools and then let kids come back in for some sort of physical training? It will be tough enough to get kids to take this quarantine period seriously as it is. It would be short sighted and stupid to do otherwise. Lets just hope we have spring sports to come back to at some point this year.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I would say that if it's raining, you won't see teams moving indoors, instead they will cancel that practice.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 am I would say that if it's raining, you won't see teams moving indoors, instead they will cancel that practice.
Just goes to show that mods dont know everything. Schools ARE NOT allowed to practice right now.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:59 am Schools are allowed to practice.
Where did you get this info?

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

Howard Cosell wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:00 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 am I would say that if it's raining, you won't see teams moving indoors, instead they will cancel that practice.
Just goes to show that mods dont know everything. Schools ARE NOT allowed to practice right now.
You are correct! No practices!

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

3 week closing of school is just a start to see how this virus spreads. Might be 5 weeks. Might be rest of school year. High school sports (and sports in general) might be shut down for 3 months. Might be 6 months. No one knows when this ends. Decision makers trying to decrease the rate this spreads so it does not overwhelm the hospitals and health care system. Everyone hopes this virus will "die out" in the warm weather but no one realistically knows when.

You need to get your elderly loved ones and loved ones of any age who have heath issues away from other people. For healthy people this virus is a bad cold, but you shed virus for days before the symptoms occur and for days after you are feeling well again. For the elderly and health compromised this is deadly. The state is shutting down for the greater good of all people. We just need to pray for the best.

Can't wait to talk football again.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

It will be very interesting to see when the green light is given by the medical profession and the government as to when normal activities can resume. I wonder if there is a certain number or threshold of cases in which there is no longer considered a pandemic. If the economic impact continues for more than say, 4-6 weeks, there will be some concerns raised no doubt about getting back to normalcy by businesses that have lost a large amount of money and are in danger of going under. It's America, and the loss or gain of money is always a big issue. How long can workers, especially those who are on a hourly wage, survive on unemployment? In professional sports, athletes like Kevin Love and others have stepped up to help laid off employees, but in many other aspects of American business this is not the case.

For schools, it will be a sensitive issue as to when students can return and extracurricular activities can resume. It will be difficult decision for government officials and school superintendents, especially if COVID-19 is still widespread but on the decline.

The complications that have been caused by this virus are not solely a health concern.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

I don’t think kids will be back in school this year

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

that's a great question flex.
I would say they don't allow it. but I have no idea.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Howard Cosell wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:59 am
What message is sent if we shut down schools and then let kids come back in for some sort of physical training? It will be tough enough to get kids to take this quarantine period seriously as it is. It would be short sighted and stupid to do otherwise. Lets just hope we have spring sports to come back to at some point this year.
great point howard.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

teach1coach2 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:01 pm 3 week closing of school is just a start to see how this virus spreads. Might be 5 weeks. Might be rest of school year. High school sports (and sports in general) might be shut down for 3 months. Might be 6 months. No one knows when this ends. Decision makers trying to decrease the rate this spreads so it does not overwhelm the hospitals and health care system. Everyone hopes this virus will "die out" in the warm weather but no one realistically knows when.

You need to get your elderly loved ones and loved ones of any age who have heath issues away from other people. For healthy people this virus is a bad cold, but you shed virus for days before the symptoms occur and for days after you are feeling well again. For the elderly and health compromised this is deadly. The state is shutting down for the greater good of all people. We just need to pray for the best.

Can't wait to talk football again.
this in unchartered territory for us all. like you said who knows teach. the kids may have to go to school throughout the year without a summer break this year. something has to give. i'll be 60 in a few months, and I have never seen anything remotely close to this before.
prayers to all the districts/students/athletes.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

trojandave wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:45 pm It will be very interesting to see when the green light is given by the medical profession and the government as to when normal activities can resume. I wonder if there is a certain number or threshold of cases in which there is no longer considered a pandemic. If the economic impact continues for more than say, 4-6 weeks, there will be some concerns raised no doubt about getting back to normalcy by businesses that have lost a large amount of money and are in danger of going under. It's America, and the loss or gain of money is always a big issue. How long can workers, especially those who are on a hourly wage, survive on unemployment? In professional sports, athletes like Kevin Love and others have stepped up to help laid off employees, but in many other aspects of American business this is not the case.

For schools, it will be a sensitive issue as to when students can return and extracurricular activities can resume. It will be difficult decision for government officials and school superintendents, especially if COVID-19 is still widespread but on the decline.

The complications that have been caused by this virus are not solely a health concern.
what a wonderful post dave, very true man.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The superintendents are having the decisions made for them by the state/govt

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: At some point, the government is going to leave it up to local school officials to make the call on a return to school, especially when the virus is not as widespread as it is now. Some areas (like heavy urban areas) are being hit harder than others, so they may need more than 3 weeks to return, whereas in other areas after 3 weeks giving the green light might be okay.

Return to “Football”