Logan Football - From the Vault (Stay-at-home entertainment)

loganlocos
SEOP

Logan Football - From the Vault (Stay-at-home entertainment)

Post by loganlocos »

Since we're all stuck at home with no live sports, I've been uploading one Logan HS football game per season each day to my YouTube page.

I have (practically) all of Logan's games from 1985-1999 digitized plus a handful of games from 2000-now.

Here is a link to the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... niJBKyqguQ

And now the games, with a few notes:

1985 - Logan 40, Miami Trace 33 - arguably the greatest game ever played on the Hilltop. Keith Myers and DJ Conrad set single game passing and receiving marks and Kelly Wolfe ran for over 200 yards. Trace let Logan score their final touchdown (score was 34-33) to get the ball back. Logan barely held on for the win.

1986 - Logan 34, Athens 6 - Logan closed the 1986 season with a dominating win over rival Athens. It finished Logan's second straight 9-1 season, but still an SEOAL title eluded coach Clarence Perry as both seasons the Chiefs lost to Gallipolis. Wolfe ran for 184 yards as he set new single season and career rushing marks (he is still Logan's career rushing leader). The game ended with a bit of a brawl that set the tone for 5-6 years of an extremely heated Bulldog/Chieftain rivalry both on the field and on the hardwood.

1987 - Logan 30, Gallipolis 15
- Logan avenged their only league losses under Coach Perry by downing Gallipolis 30-15. A second quarter interception by Jose Medina helped turn the tide after a dominant first quarter by GAHS. The victory propelled Logan to their first ever playoff appearance. Jimmer Breining passed for 195 yards and two touchdowns while Paul Clark ran for 114 yards and a pair of scores to pace the Chieftains.

1988 - Logan 45, Nelsonville-York 0 - Logan opened the 1988 season with a dominant win over rival Nelsonville-York. The Chiefs gained 327 total yards and held the Buckeyes to only 81. Sophomore Bill Copley ran for 102 yards and a pair of scores while Paul Clark added 56 and a score. Jimmer Breining threw for 133 yards and a pair of scores to Nick Maniskas who caught three total passes for 115 yards.

1989 - Logan 17, Columbus DeSales 14 - Third time was a the charm for Logan who avenged a pair of closes losses to DeSales with a come-from-behind 17-14 victory in Columbus. Sophomore fullback/linebacker Bryan Lambert was a workhorse and Scott Sigler connected with Jason Allison for a 21-yard touchdown pass with 2:42 to play to give LHS the win. DeSales featured a yet unknown sophomore tight end/defensive end name Luke Fickell who caught a team high 4 passes for 64 yards.

1990 - Logan 26, Warren 13 - Dale Amyx' first season was largely forgettable thanks to the loss of the projected starting quarterback in an off field incident. Still this game, his second win, showed promise for what the future would hold. Fullback Bryan Lambert and tailback Bill Copley led the way for the purple and white while quarterback Nathan Dickerson ran for a score and completed a key pass to Dustin Mowery to set up Logan's third touchdown.

1991 - Logan 13, Chillicothe 0 - Josh Jackson kicked two field goals (29 and 37 yards) and Dustin Mowery caught a 23 yard touchdown to account for Logan’s scoring. The defense, led by SEOAL MVP LB Bryan Lambert and DL Ty Veidt held the Cavs to 109 total yards and 8 first downs. Logan would finish 7-3 in Dale Amyx’ second season with the three losses coming by a combined 13 points.

1992 - Logan 42, Warren 9 - This game was much closer than the score would indicate. Greg Crossley ran for an LHS record 302 yards and five touchdowns on 31 carries. Warren ran for over 200 yards, but lost three fumbles and threw an interception. Logan scored 21 points in the fourth quarter to blow the game open. Logan would finish 6-4 overall but shared the SEOAL title with Gallipolis and Jackson. Crossley would share the SEOAL MVP award with Chad Barnes of Gallipolis.

1993 - Logan 35, Nelsonville-York 18 - Logan avenged a 1992 blowout loss to the Buckeyes with this come-from-behind win over N-Y. The Buckeyes took a 12-0 lead before Logan scored late in the first half on a "spot pass (or double pass" from Brian Miller-Chad Zimmerman-Matt Mellinger that helped turn the tide. Logan outscored the Buckeyes 28-6 in the second half to win the game going away. Zimmerman threw and caught touchdown passes and also made an interception to help lead LHS.

1994 - Logan 38, Warren 14 - Logan snapped a three game losing streak and opened SEOAL play with this come-from-behind victory over Warren. The Warriors took an early 6-0 lead and had Logan backed up in the shadow of their own goal line when Chad Zimmerman connected with Eric Cox for a school record 97-yard touchdown pass. John Cosgrove averaged over 10 yards per carry, Zimmerman threw for over 200 yards, and the defense led by Tim Bookman and Chris Hall was stingy, allowing only 14 points. Logan would finish 7-3 overall and just miss out on a playoff spot back when only 4 teams per region qualified.
Last edited by loganlocos on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Re: Logan Football - From the Vault (Stay-at-home entertainment)

Post by 1987chieftains »

Awesome! Going to send my boy who is in Korea.

AT THE RESERVATION
Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

loganlocos wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:57 pm Since we're all stuck at home with no live sports, I've been uploading one Logan HS football game per season each day to my YouTube page.

I have (practically) all of Logan's games from 1985-1999 digitized plus a handful of games from 2000-now.

Here is a link to the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... niJBKyqguQ

And now the games, with a few notes:

1985 - Logan 40, Miami Trace 33 - arguably the greatest game ever played on the Hilltop. Keith Myers and DJ Conrad set single game passing and receiving marks and Kelly Wolfe ran for over 200 yards. Trace let Logan score their final touchdown (score was 34-33) to get the ball back. Logan barely held on for the win.

1986 - Logan 34, Athens 6 - Logan closed the 1986 season with a dominating win over rival Athens. It finished Logan's second straight 9-1 season, but still an SEOAL title eluded coach Clarence Perry as both seasons the Chiefs lost to Gallipolis. Wolfe ran for 184 yards as he set new single season and career rushing marks (he is still Logan's career rushing leader). The game ended with a bit of a brawl that set the tone for 5-6 years of an extremely heated Bulldog/Chieftain rivalry both on the field and on the hardwood.

1987 - Logan 30, Gallipolis 15
- Logan avenged their only league losses under Coach Perry by downing Gallipolis 30-15. A second quarter interception by Jose Medina helped turn the tide after a dominant first quarter by GAHS. The victory propelled Logan to their first ever playoff appearance. Jimmer Breining passed for 195 yards and two touchdowns while Paul Clark ran for 114 yards and a pair of scores to pace the Chieftains.

1988 - Logan 45, Nelsonville-York 0 - Logan opened the 1988 season with a dominant win over rival Nelsonville-York. The Chiefs gained 327 total yards and held the Buckeyes to only 81. Sophomore Bill Copley ran for 102 yards and a pair of scores while Paul Clark added 56 and a score. Jimmer Breining threw for 133 yards and a pair of scores to Nick Maniskas who caught three total passes for 115 yards.

1989 - Logan 17, Columbus DeSales 14 - Third time was a the charm for Logan who avenged a pair of closes losses to DeSales with a come-from-behind 17-14 victory in Columbus. Sophomore fullback/linebacker Bryan Lambert was a workhorse and Scott Sigler connected with Jason Allison for a 21-yard touchdown pass with 2:42 to play to give LHS the win. DeSales featured a yet unknown sophomore tight end/defensive end name Luke Fickell who caught a team high 4 passes for 64 yards.

1990 - Logan 26, Warren 13 - Dale Amyx' first season was largely forgettable thanks to the loss of the projected starting quarterback in an off field incident. Still this game, his second win, showed promise for what the future would hold. Fullback Bryan Lambert and tailback Bill Copley led the way for the purple and white while quarterback Nathan Dickerson ran for a score and completed a key pass to Dustin Mowery to set up Logan's third touchdown.

1991 - Logan 13, Chillicothe 0 - Josh Jackson kicked two field goals (29 and 37 yards) and Dustin Mowery caught a 23 yard touchdown to account for Logan’s scoring. The defense, led by SEOAL MVP LB Bryan Lambert and DL Ty Veidt held the Cavs to 109 total yards and 8 first downs. Logan would finish 7-3 in Dale Amyx’ second season with the three losses coming by a combined 13 points.

1992 - Logan 42, Warren 9 - This game was much closer than the score would indicate. Greg Crossley ran for an LHS record 302 yards and five touchdowns on 31 carries. Warren ran for over 200 yards, but lost three fumbles and threw an interception. Logan scored 21 points in the fourth quarter to blow the game open. Logan would finish 6-4 overall but shared the SEOAL title with Gallipolis and Jackson. Crossley would share the SEOAL MVP award with Chad Barnes of Gallipolis.
I’m anxiously awaiting the ones from our high school days.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Chief02 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:50 am I’m anxiously awaiting the ones from our high school days.
I have a limited selection for our junior and senior years - they are still at the high school and obviously I can't get down there to grab them. I have a few games from each season though so I know I can get through 2001 (senior year).

Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

Any chance you could put the 93 and 94 Logan gallipolis games up.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

645945 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:46 pm Any chance you could put the 93 and 94 Logan gallipolis games up.
I have both games. I'm doing one game per season - but it looks like as this thing goes on I might extend and cycle back through!

Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

I understand. The 93 game I can see you not wanting to put up, but the 94 game is worthy of a share it was a good ball game.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

645945 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 pm I understand. The 93 game I can see you not wanting to put up, but the 94 game is worthy of a share it was a good ball game.
Maybe I'll let Coach Penrod post the '93 game, haha.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Outstanding work LL. A labor of love.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Omega wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:52 pm Outstanding work LL. A labor of love.
Thanks. Definitely a labor of love but also a lot of fun.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

You got any videos of us pre 85 old timers out there, locos? :lol:
I know ch.2 was doing games as far back as 82 from what I remember.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

cbolt wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:28 pm You got any videos of us pre 85 old timers out there, locos? :lol:
those would be good.

AT THE RESERVATION
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Omega wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:52 pm Outstanding work LL. A labor of love.
He’s definitely one of my favorite SEOPrep’s people. So much great info

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

cbolt wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:28 pm You got any videos of us pre 85 old timers out there, locos? :lol:
I just posted a game from '83.

Prior to the early '80s it was all on film reels. A lot of those are either lost or stuck in basements or storage sheds. I have to pay to get film reels converted - I've done a bunch but I still have more in the basement. Lots of '50s, '60s, and a little from the '70s.

I'm always on the lookout for more footage.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:09 am
He’s definitely one of my favorite SEOPrep’s people. So much great info
Aww, thanks Raider.

Maybe I'll find a way to send 93bulldog the '89 and '90 LHS-AHS games so he can post them

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Now we're talking. Nice find locos! Is that Dave McAllister who used to be principal for Logan? I never knew he QB for Athens back then if that is him. That is wild! Thanks for posting locos! Never mind I just saw in the caption it was his son. That makes more sense.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

cbolt wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:21 pm Now we're talking. Nice find locos! Is that Dave McAllister who used to be principal for Logan? I never knew he QB for Athens back then if that is him. That is wild! Thanks for posting locos! Never mind I just saw in the caption it was his son. That makes more sense.
Its the Principal's son. The next year down at Athens the Bulldogs won. Mr. McAllister had been hired by Logan to start in '85-'86.

So he stood under the goal post and watched instead of picking a side. I have some good pictures from that game, including one of Mr. McAlister smiling under the goals post as time ran out.

Pretty cool.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Good stuff! I remember listening to that game on the radio the following year and it was shocking how Athens beat them down in that game. Athens hadn't beat Logan since the early 70's before that if my memory serves me right. Wasn't Mr. McAllister the Principal or some big shot at Athens more recently?

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:21 pm Now we're talking. Nice find locos! Is that Dave McAllister who used to be principal for Logan? I never knew he QB for Athens back then if that is him. That is wild! Thanks for posting locos! Never mind I just saw in the caption it was his son. That makes more sense.
Yep, agree, nice find. Good job, Locos! :D

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

cbolt wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:10 pm Good stuff! I remember listening to that game on the radio the following year and it was shocking how Athens beat them down in that game. Athens hadn't beat Logan since the early 70's before that if my memory serves me right. Wasn't Mr. McAllister the Principal or some big shot at Athens more recently?
I don't think its a coincidence that Logan made a coaching change following the '84 season.

Logan had gone 8-0-2 against Athens between 1973-1983 (no game in '78).

Since 1972 - Logan has only lost 6 football games to Athens ('84, '89, '90, '95, '17, '18).

Return to “Football”