Will ESPN shut down if no college football?

carbon_dated
All State

Will ESPN shut down if no college football?

Post by carbon_dated »

can you imagine?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Will ESPN shut down if no college football?

Post by VetteMan »

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I would miss college football, but if I can find a decent game on another network, I very rarely turn ESPN on anyway.

Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

It wouldnt bother me none. Them dang liberals took over espn and now all they want to do is make it all political. In glouster we just want to watch people bust a few heads and drink a few beers. Is that too much to ask?

RoyBatty
Waterboy

Post by RoyBatty »

ESPN has become their own worst enemy . With people cutting the cord and now this , hopefully they will get back to broadcasting sports and stay out of politics , thats where their downfall started.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Agree with the comments above. ESPN jumped on a liberal platform several years ago. Their ratings have suffered ever since.

This would be a great time for FOX Sports to step up and take over the college football scene once and for all.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

At least they have the NFL draft coming up

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

All networks are evaluating the overall scene. People will not go to games again till a confirmed vaccine is found, likely a year or more away. Advertisers of businesses who have declining sales/revenue will rethink their advertising spending and won’t risk getting a bad name trying to get people to risk going out for their product/service/etc. Players, many of whom will not risk exposure to the virus ,will refuse to play. Reality.

Have gun, will travel
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

They should have stayed out of the political scene and off the political topics and just stuck with what they are known for... Sports. ESPN's political stance allowed NBC, CBS, FOX and the internet outlets to get a foot hold on the sports monopoly they once had a strangle hold on.

AT THE RESERVATION
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I keep seeing these complaints that ESPN should've "stuck to sports", but sports is interconnected to varying degrees with social and political topics. And it's been that way for decades, the same way that prominent artists, productions across the music (e.g. Bruce Springsteen) and film (e.g. Clint Eastwood) industries have incorporated social activism and cause celebres both inside and outside of their work. And this isn't the 80's or 90's anymore: sports viewers have a vast increase in the amount of media options through which we consume our sports content, such as blogs or podcasts. The content and programming to proffer can not possibly stay in a linear, hard-lined "stick to sports." You can only make so many episodes of Stump the Schwab, NBC Sports couldn't make anything out of Sports Jeopardy! and even Fox Sports sticks their beak into the fray of political or social constructions in sports.

Return to “Football”