HS Baseball in the Fall, HS Football in the Spring

teach1coach2
All State

HS Baseball in the Fall, HS Football in the Spring

Post by teach1coach2 »

I hear that an idea being thrown around at the state level is playing sports that are normally in the spring next fall (baseball, softball, track … along with golf, tennis, lacrosse, field hockey) and the mainly fall sports being played in the spring (football, volleyball, soccer, CC).

Why?
1) Since football pays the bills, playing it in the spring gives more time for a vaccine and lessens the chances of it being cancelled.
2) If there is a limit of 250 people at an event in the fall, the outside sports listed usually have crowds far less than that.

In the fall, schools might be online or half the students attending every other day to assist with social distancing, etc (goes along with governor's Monday comments).

Thoughts?

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: HS Baseball in the Fall, HS Football in the Spring

Post by wobycat »

teach1coach2 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:41 pm I hear that an idea being thrown around at the state level is playing sports that are normally in the spring next fall (baseball, softball, track … along with golf, tennis, lacrosse, field hockey) and the mainly fall sports being played in the spring (football, volleyball, soccer, CC).

Why?
1) Since football pays the bills, playing it in the spring gives more time for a vaccine and lessens the chances of it being cancelled.
2) If there is a limit of 250 people at an event in the fall, the outside sports listed usually have crowds far less than that.

In the fall, schools might be online or half the students attending every other day to assist with social distancing, etc (goes along with governor's Monday comments).

Thoughts?
I read an article that said the OHSAA has not considered it but that it was presented to them by a northern Ohio organization, perhaps a league up there

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I would be cool with that. Any chance they let last years seniors play?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

Personally, being a high school baseball coach, I don't see a problem with it. As long as baseball still plays our 27 game season. You would have to make a decision on it at least by July 1. State tournament in November? That is fine. Plenty of turf fields around today.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

25th Street NW wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:37 am Personally, being a high school baseball coach, I don't see a problem with it. As long as baseball still plays our 27 game season. You would have to make a decision on it at least by July 1. State tournament in November? That is fine. Plenty of turf fields around today.
You could play in Cincinnati in November. That field will be well rested by then.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ok, so was this mentioned for the 2020-2021 school year only?? If so when does football end May/June?? Then they go back to practice and fall come June and July for the 2021-2022 season?? Everyone talks about the safety of players playing football yet if it were done like this we're going to ask kids to play from what March--November basically?? Let's not forget all the kids that will leave school and enroll in college in January of their senior year. Sorry this just seem feasible, what I was told tonight was a high probability that the football season doesn't start until later and it's a shortened season and basketball season would be shortened as well.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

If football is going to be in the fall and shortened, it would make more sense to start as scheduled or earlier and try to finish before November when the viruses start to increase with the drop in temperature.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

I think it should have been switched a long time ago.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

greygoose wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:53 pm Ok, so was this mentioned for the 2020-2021 school year only?? If so when does football end May/June?? Then they go back to practice and fall come June and July for the 2021-2022 season?? Everyone talks about the safety of players playing football yet if it were done like this we're going to ask kids to play from what March--November basically?? Let's not forget all the kids that will leave school and enroll in college in January of their senior year. Sorry this just seem feasible, what I was told tonight was a high probability that the football season doesn't start until later and it's a shortened season and basketball season would be shortened as well.
Everyone is counting on some miracle vaccine to save the world. This may not happen. If so its a real possibility that this may be a battle over more than one year. Of course, the pandemic could also just run its course and then go away. I see the 2021 spring season being abbreviated (Maybe 8 games), and then maybe a normal season in the fall of 2021. If too much football is a concern (Did I really just say that?) then play an abbreviated fall schedule as well.

Honestly I like the idea of moving to spring and staying there. The weather from August to end of October fits Baseball, softball, and track better. And I believe it would be better for football in terms of heat to play from March to end of May. You could actually start winter sports sooner because Baseball, Softball, and Track were usually shorter seasons to begin with. That would give football a few weeks in February to get ready. No one likes watching baseball in Carharts and players dont think much of wearing football gear in early August. The change may help high school sports all the way around. Look outside right now, we would be playing the last few weeks of the regular season. It would be pretty comfortable for everyone. I bet gates would be better.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

If no vaccine then social distancing and face masks will be the norm for foreseeable future. Like it or not. I know a lot people have no concern about the person next to them or anyone. Until a vaccine everyone can get this and spread it to loved ones. Stay safe and obey Gov Mike DEWine and Dr. Amy Acton orders.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Mr. Snodgrass said this waa definitely not going to happen because of extreme scheduling difficulty.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

If there isn’t a HS football season, and if the Ohio Department of Health says that school buildings can be accessed in the fall, it is possible we may see some schools withdraw their baseball program from the next spring sports season and play it as an un-sanctioned club in this upcoming fall season. This would be a one time deal. They would play travel ball organizations and possibly other “club” programs tied to a school. And, in turn, in the spring sports season these schools would then do an 8-man or 11-man spring football and maybe get the recently formed 8-man football organization to play in the spring.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:53 am If there isn’t a HS football season, and if the Ohio Department of Health says that school buildings can be accessed in the fall, it is possible we may see some schools withdraw their baseball program from the next spring sports season and play it as an un-sanctioned club in this upcoming fall season. This would be a one time deal. They would play travel ball organizations and possibly other “club” programs tied to a school. And, in turn, in the spring sports season these schools would then do an 8-man or 11-man spring football and maybe get the recently formed 8-man football organization to play in the spring.

Catastrophic Injury Insurance will prevent this from becoming a reality. Schools wont play football without the insurance they get from playing an OHSAA sanctioned sport. I am not even sure schools would sponsor baseball without this type of protection.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Baldeagle wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:11 am
formerfcfan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:53 am If there isn’t a HS football season, and if the Ohio Department of Health says that school buildings can be accessed in the fall, it is possible we may see some schools withdraw their baseball program from the next spring sports season and play it as an un-sanctioned club in this upcoming fall season. This would be a one time deal. They would play travel ball organizations and possibly other “club” programs tied to a school. And, in turn, in the spring sports season these schools would then do an 8-man or 11-man spring football and maybe get the recently formed 8-man football organization to play in the spring.

Catastrophic Injury Insurance will prevent this from becoming a reality. Schools wont play football without the insurance they get from playing an OHSAA sanctioned sport. I am not even sure schools would sponsor baseball without this type of protection.
That’s what I’ve heard would stand in the way, also. At least for football. It was an idea that was spitballed by a few AD’s up here in the Columbus area. Probably won’t get any public schools to play ball with the idea.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Snodgrass said on twitter that there will be NO change in seasons!

Return to “Football”