Changing Mascots?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Changing Mascots?

Post by Raider6309 »

Will South Gallia, Morgan, Adena, Rock Hill, Logan Elm, Caldwell, and Logan have to change their mascots? Seems like Native Americans and Confederate stuff is getting eliminated like it didn’t exist
Last edited by Raider6309 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Re: Changing Mascots?

Post by Howard Cosell »

Morgan and Adena may also have to change names of the school along with thier mascot. Morgan was a confederate general and Adena was the anme of a tribe of native americans.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

The Adena culture ended around 1 AD!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:14 pm Will South Gallia, Morgan, Adena, Caldwell, and Logan have to change their mascots? Seems like Native Americans and Confederate stuff is getting eliminated like it didn’t exist
Crazy, and stupid if so. The City of Logan was named sometime in the 1800's in "honor" of "Chief Logan".

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

What about Rock Hill (Redman) and Logan Elm (Braves)? Schools with mascots such as Pirates and Vikings may go as well.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Dundas wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:48 pm What about Rock Hill (Redman) and Logan Elm (Braves)? Schools with mascots such as Pirates and Vikings may go as well.
I’ll have to add Rock Hill and Logan Elm to the list

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Northwest Mohawks and Valley Indians.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Eastern Brown Warriors
Peebles Indians
Western Indians
Hillsboro Indians

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

River Valley took their Raiders name from a confederate general.
They have a huge mural of him in his confederate uniform on their gym wall.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

How is “Indians”, “Warriors”, “Chieftans”, etc. a bad thing. I thought it was an honor...

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Howard Cosell wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:36 pm Morgan and Adena may also have to change names of the school along with thier mascot. Morgan was a confederate general and Adena was the anme of a tribe of native americans.
Monroe County was named for Daniel Morgan of Revolutionary War fame, not John Hunt Morgan of Confederate Raider fame, but either Morgan could be problematic with today's cancel culture.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_County,_Ohio

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
REDMEN95
JV Team

Post by REDMEN95 »

Next thing you know the animal rights people will try to do away with mascots that are animals.....seems like people get offended over every little thing

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Omega wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:42 pm
Howard Cosell wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:36 pm Morgan and Adena may also have to change names of the school along with thier mascot. Morgan was a confederate general and Adena was the anme of a tribe of native americans.
Monroe County was named for Daniel Morgan of Revolutionary War fame, not John Hunt Morgan of Confederate Raider fame, but either Morgan could be problematic with today's cancel culture.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_County,_Ohio
Zanesville Times-Recorder just did a story on Morgan HS that says the Raider mascot is inspired by John Hunt Morgan.
The history of the Raider is based off John Hunt Morgan's raids. The Confederate general terrorized parts of Indiana and Ohio, including Morgan County, as he tried to distract union forces, but his efforts were thwarted by the Union army.
https://amp.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com ... ssion=true

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

For the record, not disputing which one the county and therefore the high school is named for but the mascot definitely has a tie-in to John Hunt Morgan. They may not have considered the overarching context of Morgan’s Raiders being confederate but that’s definitely where they got the name.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:50 pm For the record, not disputing which one the county and therefore the high school is named for but the mascot definitely has a tie-in to John Hunt Morgan. They may not have considered the overarching context of Morgan’s Raiders being confederate but that’s definitely where they got the name.
That is a quandary. Even though Morgan County existed before the civil war, the Confederate pillage and plundering raid steamrolled through McConnelsville and environs. Quite a bit of real history that few communities can claim ! Also Southern and SE Ohio had quite a few "Copperheads". These were folks that while not necessarily Confederate sympathizers, were against the Union war effort. Great catch FFC!

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I could see some changing if the community or a organization protest them to but I doubt any school will do it on the own

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Izladoom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:03 pm I could see some changing if the community or a organization protest them to but I doubt any school will do it on the own
Jackson got sued for having a photo of Jesus in their school. Jackson caved and took it down. Most of these schools will probably have to change mascots or get blasted by the mob

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

smurray wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:32 pm How is “Indians”, “Warriors”, “Chieftans”, etc. a bad thing. I thought it was an honor...

Me too!!!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:28 pm
Izladoom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:03 pm I could see some changing if the community or a organization protest them to but I doubt any school will do it on the own
Jackson got sued for having a photo of Jesus in their school. Jackson caved and took it down. Most of these schools will probably have to change mascots or get blasted by the mob

Yes, that was quite an ordeal when that took place.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I went to valley my whole life I been a valley Indian but if they decide to change it that’s ok I’ll still support the school in the end it’s just a name

Return to “Football”