Fort Frye attempts to join TVC Ohio

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Re: Fort Frye attempts to join TVC Ohio

Post by Almost Champions »

I ran into the principle from southern and asked him about the league. He wants three divisions and has even invited school reps to come to southern to talk to him about entry (Marietta). Adding FF would be great for the Ohio. Now we just need to find one school for the Hocking. Can’t believe we let Miller leave.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Almost Champions wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:13 pm I ran into the principle from southern and asked him about the league. He wants three divisions and has even invited school reps to come to southern to talk to him about entry (Marietta). Adding FF would be great for the Ohio. Now we just need to find one school for the Hocking. Can’t believe we let Miller leave.
Miller is just in a phase. They found Jesus. They will probably come back after a couple years of playing harvest prep in basketball :lol:

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Warren and Marietta have also applied but they have all applied separate not together.

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

Hopefully Fort gets in and the others do not. If so just one of them. I know Marietta has reached out before.

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

Is Fort Frye big enough to compete in the Ohio? I always thought they were a smaller school.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Rvfan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:04 pm Is Fort Frye big enough to compete in the Ohio? I always thought they were a smaller school.
They hung 50 on NY by half in football. FF has a pretty good program in every sport

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:12 pm
Rvfan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:04 pm Is Fort Frye big enough to compete in the Ohio? I always thought they were a smaller school.
They hung 50 on NY by half in football. FF has a pretty good program in every sport
The girls basketball team made it to the final 4 last year. Fort has made the playoffs in football 6 of last 7 years.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 pm
Almost Champions wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:13 pm I ran into the principle from southern and asked him about the league. He wants three divisions and has even invited school reps to come to southern to talk to him about entry (Marietta). Adding FF would be great for the Ohio. Now we just need to find one school for the Hocking. Can’t believe we let Miller leave.
Miller is just in a phase. They found Jesus. They will probably come back after a couple years of playing harvest prep in basketball :lol:
I don't think Miller will be back anytime soon.
They will be as competitive in their new league as they were in the Hocking.
This has been kicked around for a long time in Falconland and the move makes sense.
The Miller parents work in Lancaster, Columbus, and Zanesville so a league centered around Lancaster makes sense.
I can't imagine getting off work in Columbus or Zanesville and then driving to South Gallia, Southern, and Eastern will be something they miss.
They won't have to play Harvest Prep in football and they will struggle against them in basketball---as would most teams from the Hocking or Ohio.
They have played several teams in that league for years.
IMO the Falcons will be happy in their new league and I wish them luck.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

NY BUCK wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:14 am Travel times from high school to high school (Using maps app on phone so could be off a little)

Alexander: 1 hour and 6 min
Athens: 1 hour
Meigs: 1 hour and 1 minute
Nelsonville-York: 1 hour and 4 min
River Valley: 1 hour and 30 min
Vinton County: 1 hour and 29 min
Wellston: 1 hour and 35 min

Potential conference schedule if nothing is changed
Week 4: Wellston
Week 5: Nelsonville-York
Week 6: Athens
Week 7: Vinton County
Week 8: Meigs
Week 9: Alexander
Week 10: River Valley
This is just off top of my head but I think it’s correct.
I think it comes down to if the TVC wants to even the number in the Ohio division vs the long trips for everyone to Fort Frye. IMO the TVC has a better option in Oak Hill if they go after them. Personally, I feel like River Valley, Wellston, Vinton County and Athens will all vote no. The first 3 for travel reasons and Athens because they don’t want another small school on their schedule. I think it’s a long shot for Fort Frye.
Last edited by Dundas on Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

fortdawg wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:39 am
Raider6309 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 pm
I don't think Miller will be back anytime soon.
They will be as competitive in their new league as they were in the Hocking.
This has been kicked around for a long time in Falconland and the move makes sense.
The Miller parents work in Lancaster, Columbus, and Zanesville so a league centered around Lancaster makes sense.
I can't imagine getting off work in Columbus or Zanesville and then driving to South Gallia, Southern, and Eastern will be something they miss.
They won't have to play Harvest Prep in football and they will struggle against them in basketball---as would most teams from the Hocking or Ohio.
They have played several teams in that league for years.
IMO the Falcons will be happy in their new league and I wish them luck.
Agreed. It’ll probably be a better situation for Miller. Less travel, fresh faces.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

This move will probably kill Miller sports for good. Has to be the dumbest league move ever

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:34 pm This move will probably kill Miller sports for good. Has to be the dumbest league move ever
Feel free to explain

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:34 pm This move will probably kill Miller sports for good. Has to be the dumbest league move ever
Yeah playing Berne Union every year will just destroy sports at Miller. :lol:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:35 pm Feel free to explain
No rivals and demographics. Can’t see anyone caring about playing any teams in the MSL. I’m going to the Harvest Prep game. I wanna see 200 :lol:

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:58 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:35 pm Feel free to explain
No rivals and demographics. Can’t see anyone caring about playing any teams in the MSL. I’m going to the Harvest Prep game. I wanna see 200 :lol:
I for one look forward to the Harvest Prep bus navigating the path to Miller. Uncharted territory!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:50 pm
Yeah playing Berne Union every year will just destroy sports at Miller. :lol:
Right? I heard a Miller parent remark how the players from Fairfield Christian were complimenting "good block, brother!" during their game last year. I'm sure the Falcons will be fine.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

No one from Miller knows why they left. Makes zero sense. I think it’s a Trimble conspiracy to get Miller to drop sports and Trimble will get linemen

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:20 pm No one from Miller knows why they left. Makes zero sense. I think it’s a Trimble conspiracy to get Miller to drop sports and Trimble will get linemen
There is a positive relationship going back years now between Miller and several of the Cardinal schools. There isn't a dominant football team in Miller's new league, and there's plenty of ability for the program to keep in the general trend they're going (which has been decently well) under Coach Bartley. With them being in closer proximity to their opponents and a league change being a "fresh start" for them, one would think there will be increased rates of participation and a shot in the arm for their sports.

I don't know if Miller will find themselves competing for any league titles, really in any sport, in their new league (when and what was the last one they won a league title for any sport in the Hocking?) That said, it'll provide good competition and the travel is far better.

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

Fort Frye would make the Ohio way too bottom heavy. I think they could compete just fine, but the last thing the Ohio needs is another small school. The league should have added Warren a long time ago as the 8th and final team. A rural school that is a little bigger than Vinton County, but not quite as big as Athens. Fits right into the league from a demographic and geographic perspective.

As for the Hocking, the biggest problem with that division right now is South Gallia. They are a school that is much better suited for the SOC 1 in every aspect, and have basically created a travel nightmare for most of the Hocking schools. If the league could find a way to get rid of South Gallia, the Hocking could add Fort Frye. I would think with the absence of South Gallia, Miller would be much more receptive to staying as well. Fort Frye would already have natural rivals in Belpre and Waterford. Not to mention a new rival on the gridiron in Trimble. I think it would make for a pretty good league which is why South Gallia should immediately petition the SOC for membership. :D

Ohio
Athens
Warren
Meigs
River Valley
Wellston
Vinton County
Nelsonville-York
Alexander

Hocking
Trimble
Federal Hocking
Southern
Eastern
Miller
Belpre
Waterford
Fort Frye

Lucky Charms
Freshman Team

Post by Lucky Charms »

Trust me on this. Racines admin will never let Fart Fries in the Hocking unless they can curry up support for their plot to create three divisions.

Return to “Football”