League play only schedule

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: League play only schedule

Post by formerfcfan »

bsee12345 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:56 pm Heard the OCC (Ohio Capital Conference) will play weeks 5-10 on current schedule. This will allow all OCC to complete League Division games except the one that has 8 teams in the division- others have 6.
What are you hearing on the MSL?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:45 pm Division 1 Mac just called off sports. Possible huge hit to Ohio since a lot of those colleges are in the state. You are going to cancel college and not high school. I’m a bit worried now
All non power 5 schools don’t have the revenue Tv wise to pay the bills.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Muskingum Valley League will be playing only MVL teams weeks 1-6. Meeting in a few days to finalize.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bsee12345 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:56 pm Heard the OCC (Ohio Capital Conference) will play weeks 5-10 on current schedule. This will allow all OCC to complete League Division games except the one that has 8 teams in the division- others have 6.
Yeah and I'm sure this is the route that just about EVERY league is going to take, keeps league games in place which for the most part will help in travel but it's just easier this way. We may even see some leagues that are a game short just say, "ok, if we can find a game great if not we'll take a bye week."

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:52 pm
Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:45 pm Division 1 Mac just called off sports. Possible huge hit to Ohio since a lot of those colleges are in the state. You are going to cancel college and not high school. I’m a bit worried now
BINGO, football for some of non power 5 schools and lower divisions simply doesn't make money in most years. Now take this year where you'll have minimal to no fans and they're really going to lose out on money. For most the decision is going to be based on money, that's why they're waiting so long on how they'll handle football because for a lot of schools that's what pays the bills for most of their sports. I mean the SEC decided to add 2 cross division league games just to get up to the 10 mark something that wasn't needed. Stating it was because of the pandemic, well sorry folks you guys seems to be the only ones wanting to ADD games to your schedule and yet say because of the pandemic. Money makes it turn and the SEC just proved that.

Toz15
Waterboy

Post by Toz15 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:32 pm
BINGO, football for some of non power 5 schools and lower divisions simply doesn't make money in most years. Now take this year where you'll have minimal to no fans and they're really going to lose out on money. For most the decision is going to be based on money, that's why they're waiting so long on how they'll handle football because for a lot of schools that's what pays the bills for most of their sports. I mean the SEC decided to add 2 cross division league games just to get up to the 10 mark something that wasn't needed. Stating it was because of the pandemic, well sorry folks you guys seems to be the only ones wanting to ADD games to your schedule and yet say because of the pandemic. Money makes it turn and the SEC just proved that.
What's laughable is the MAC is being presented as the "1st domino" among FBS schools.... haha.... if the big boys were still paying non-conference games and the MAC could get those "homecoming game" paychecks they wouldn't have cancelled. Media can stop acting like its "health" based.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

The million dollar question is what’s gonna happen to the conferences like the soc that only have five games. Who will they keep on to make their 6th game

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

If the Power 5 conferences drop football for 2020 year, which is looking likely, there's no way Ohio will play HS football ...Even if the Season starts once the kids fill the Schools and cases start popping up I don't see season finishing....Just my opinion....I hate it!!!!!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Toz15 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:52 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:32 pm

What's laughable is the MAC is being presented as the "1st domino" among FBS schools.... haha.... if the big boys were still paying non-conference games and the MAC could get those "homecoming game" paychecks they wouldn't have cancelled. Media can stop acting like its "health" based.

Yet, the financial and health issues have become intertwined into politics. When football returns, it likely will look quite different in structure. Only the rich in terms of resources may survive at both the college and prep levels. Though I find scholastic athletics can be valuable in building a student's character, I do not think sports is an integral part of a school's educational mission.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Well said, most intelligent post that I have read on here. Kudos to you

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Omega. You said there 5 stages with the new normal we have to deal with and asked what stage are we in , that was in July.
Denial?
Anger?
Bargaining?
Depression?
Acceptance?

I believe we are in the late stages of bargaining phase and gradually in the depression stage and acceptance is now looming in front of us

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Prime Time wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 am Omega. You said there 5 stages with the new normal we have to deal with and asked what stage are we in , that was in July.
Denial?
Anger?
Bargaining?
Depression?
Acceptance?

I believe we are in the late stages of bargaining phase and gradually in the depression stage and acceptance is now looming in front of us
Pretty good summary PT. None of us know what will happen with certainty. Play, no play, start then stop. Marginal programs may fold for good. For us old guys it is hard to see part of our normalcy threatened. Life however will go on. Change is part of the human condition.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:05 am The million dollar question is what’s gonna happen to the conferences like the soc that only have five games. Who will they keep on to make their 6th game
Looks like most have a team that will be a game short as well and they could either A) ask someone already on the schedule if they're willing to go ahead and play week 1. Or B) simply only play the 5 game schedule choosing to either have a bye week for everyone in week 1 or a bye week for everyone before entering the playoffs in week 10.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:17 pm
Mad-Dogg wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:05 am The million dollar question is what’s gonna happen to the conferences like the soc that only have five games. Who will they keep on to make their 6th game
Looks like most have a team that will be a game short as well and they could either A) ask someone already on the schedule if they're willing to go ahead and play week 1. Or B) simply only play the 5 game schedule choosing to either have a bye week for everyone in week 1 or a bye week for everyone before entering the playoffs in week 10.
Logan has no league.

Warren and Marietta's leagues are very small - so they will have open dates.

Even league's with 7 teams (like the TVC-Ohio) can't just play their six league games because 7 teams means everyone has a bye at some point.

Plenty of opportunities to finish off schedules.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:33 am
Logan has no league.

Even league's with 7 teams (like the TVC-Ohio) can't just play their six league games because 7 teams means everyone has a bye at some point.

Yeah I know Logan has no league and have said I felt there's plenty of opportunities, hopefully, for them to get games in. However you do realize a 7 team league means they'll get 6 weeks in and there's no bye week?? 7 teams and obviously the 1 can't play themselves so that's 6 opponents left.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

greygoose wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:55 pm
loganlocos wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:33 am

Logan has no league.

Yeah I know Logan has no league and have said I felt there's plenty of opportunities, hopefully, for them to get games in. However you do realize a 7 team league means they'll get 6 weeks in and there's no bye week?? 7 teams and obviously the 1 can't play themselves so that's 6 opponents left.
Again, a 7-team league means that they need 7 weeks for everyone to play everyone because one team has a league bye every week. Only 1 team can play all six league games in six weeks - the other six teams can only get five league games in that time because each week one team would have had a bye.

My guess is that the ECOL will move games to the front of the schedule, which would leave Warren and Marietta will two weeks of non-league. I assume Warren will keep Logan and either Union Local (most likely) or Shenandoah, who are both exclusive to the OVAC at the moment.

Obviously, wishful thinking that any of this actually happens.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Portsmouth 6 game schedule
Attachments
A1E295E9-2D88-43B5-B966-DC6ED0F66380.jpeg

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Was told today that 2 of the SOC 2 teams was struggling with numbers. Was told Valley and Oak hill had less than 30 kids. Can anyone verify this.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:08 pm Was told today that 2 of the SOC 2 teams was struggling with numbers. Was told Valley and Oak hill had less than 30 kids. Can anyone verify this.
Haven't heard but would just make more likely the scenario of Northwest coming back up to SOC II in 2021, with Oak Hill probably going back down to SOC I.

While we're at it, anybody heard of SOC I numbers?*

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:26 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:08 pm Was told today that 2 of the SOC 2 teams was struggling with numbers. Was told Valley and Oak hill had less than 30 kids. Can anyone verify this.
Haven't heard but would just make more likely the scenario of Northwest coming back up to SOC II in 2021, with Oak Hill probably going back down to SOC I.

While we're at it, anybody heard of SOC I numbers?*
Was told Notre Dame had 31 kids, which is great to hear.
That's the only one I've heard.

Return to “Football”