Some histories updated

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Some histories updated

Post by Football Historian »

Never mind the plandemic. I have been working on football histories for my site www.fourseasonsfootball.com .

Major updates for:

Waverly
Dawson-Bryant / Coal Grove
Chesapeake
Fairland
South Point
Rock Hill / Pedro
Oak Hill
Glenwood / New Boston
Portsmouth East
Portsmouth West
Zane Trace
Jackson

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Some histories updated

Post by Omega »

Great repository. Thanks for your hard work!

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Awesome. Outstanding work.

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Nelsonville-York added

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Northwest McDermott added.

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Minford added. There are a handful of scores I don't have yet.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Thanks for doing this Football Historian. How do you get the scores?

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Great stuff !!!!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Football Historian
Riding the Bench

oneoak wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:25 am Thanks for doing this Football Historian. How do you get the scores?
I have been doing this for 14 years. I have a subscription to Newspapers.com. This allows me access to the Saturday state wide scores in WV, Ohio, Virginia, PA and other states. I also go to libraries. I photograph and scan preseason issues where the newspapers have a schedule and prognosis on each school in their area. I have access to some yearbooks thru classmates.com. Over 14 years I have learned where to find things. Even so sometimes scores do not get reported to the state AP wire. This is why there are scores missing for Minford. I will have to go to the Portsmouth Library to get those scores from the papers on microfilm. When I go to libraries to do research I will time it so that I can go by the schools to take a few pictures of the field when it is empty. I add those to my lists to give it a more personal feel. Of course the scores for 2000 and up for Ohio are on Joe Eitel's site so I just have to figure out the coaching information for that period. The real challenge is finding scores for the 1920's and earlier. Some people like the challenge of chasing a little white ball around a big green field, I like the challenge and puzzle of researching the football games and coaches of high school football teams.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Very impressive and thanks for this ! I searched both my brother and late fathers playing days in WV along with his coaching tenures. It was nice to go back through my playing days here in OH as well and visit the years I played and other teams played against. It has been a fun trip down memory lane today.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Valley of Lucasville Added. A few missing scores. Should be remedied soon.

bcltcr
Riding the Bench

Post by bcltcr »

Football Historian wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:38 pm
oneoak wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:25 am Thanks for doing this Football Historian. How do you get the scores?
I have been doing this for 14 years. I have a subscription to Newspapers.com. This allows me access to the Saturday state wide scores in WV, Ohio, Virginia, PA and other states. I also go to libraries. I photograph and scan preseason issues where the newspapers have a schedule and prognosis on each school in their area. I have access to some yearbooks thru classmates.com. Over 14 years I have learned where to find things. Even so sometimes scores do not get reported to the state AP wire. This is why there are scores missing for Minford. I will have to go to the Portsmouth Library to get those scores from the papers on microfilm. When I go to libraries to do research I will time it so that I can go by the schools to take a few pictures of the field when it is empty. I add those to my lists to give it a more personal feel. Of course the scores for 2000 and up for Ohio are on Joe Eitel's site so I just have to figure out the coaching information for that period. The real challenge is finding scores for the 1920's and earlier. Some people like the challenge of chasing a little white ball around a big green field, I like the challenge and puzzle of researching the football games and coaches of high school football teams.

If you go to the Portsmouth Public Library, Minford has history book that is current until 2000. It is in the bookcase on the other side of the microfilm in the history section.

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Heading there now. Be there around 1 pm

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Football Historian wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:10 am Heading there now. Be there around 1 pm
Portsmouth Library had a few football histories if I recall. I know there was a New Boston Glenwood book I looked through.

I'm still working on a few schools for you as well.

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

I did see the Minford book. I really admire the author. I did not see any others because I did not see your message until after I had left. I have added Green Local and Symmes Valley. There are a few scores missing but I should get them tomorrow in Ashland. They have the Ironton paper on film in the Ashland library and you don't have to wear gloves to use the machines.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Football Historian wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am I did see the Minford book. I really admire the author. I did not see any others because I did not see your message until after I had left. I have added Green Local and Symmes Valley. There are a few scores missing but I should get them tomorrow in Ashland. They have the Ironton paper on film in the Ashland library and you don't have to wear gloves to use the machines.
Even with internet resources, I cannot imagine your time traveling and time spent in libraries scrolling through fiche and old books. Research done the old way. Are you based out of Huntington or elsewhere in WV?

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Bud, that is awesome!! Thank you!

AT THE RESERVATION
Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Omega wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:51 am
Football Historian wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am I did see the Minford book. I really admire the author. I did not see any others because I did not see your message until after I had left. I have added Green Local and Symmes Valley. There are a few scores missing but I should get them tomorrow in Ashland. They have the Ironton paper on film in the Ashland library and you don't have to wear gloves to use the machines.
Even with internet resources, I cannot imagine your time traveling and time spent in libraries scrolling through fiche and old books. Research done the old way. Are you based out of Huntington or elsewhere in WV?
Bluefield, WV. But I have friends in low places!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Football Historian wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:26 am
Omega wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:51 am
Bluefield, WV. But I have friends in low places!
Over the years I spent a few Friday nights in Mitchell Stadium watching the Beavers thrash the East Spartans.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I am patiently waiting for the Ohio History Center to reopen their library here in Columbus.

Return to “Football”