OHSAA Q and A from today about Football and fall sports 8-12-2020

wch125
All State

OHSAA Q and A from today about Football and fall sports 8-12-2020

Post by wch125 »

This will take you to a Question and Answer WFMJ did with Beau Rugg about football and OHSAA Fall sports from tonight. Sounds like tomorrow we may get some updates but here are some take aways about football.

Fans will be let in at 15-20% capacity up to 1500 total. Family first.
Rosters will be capped at 60. Husted is adamant about this.

petesweaty
All Conference

Re: OHSAA Q and A from today about Football and fall sports 8-12-2020

Post by petesweaty »

We don't have 1,500 at games anyway.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Rosters will be capped at 60. Husted is adamant about this.
There should be a clarification if this means a program can only have 60 bodies or if it means only 60 can dress for Varsity.

JMO, not seeing what limiting it to 60 accomplishes if it’s only for the dress number. Should probably be lower, like 40. Never understood why programs dress inordinate numbers of players to begin with. This is something OHSAA should probably try to strongly promote or police anyways without a pandemic... encourage more realistic opportunities to play reserve ball as they were intended, while also mitigating the drastic depth differences in varsity ball that have come around these last 5–10 years.

wch125 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:28 pm Fans will be let in at 15-20% capacity up to 1500 total. Family first.
I mean, OHSAA should pick 15 or 20% (or some number in between) and stick with it while instituting the policy to be “whichever of x% or 1500 is lower.” Trying to standardize across ~710 schools requires something harder than ‘leave it up to your own interpretation if you want to do 15 or 20% capacity’ when that range is a difference of a couple hundred fans for many Ohio schools.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

I have already heard there are leagues looking at 40 players dressed max on the sidelines at all levels.
That also cuts down the number of family tickets that need offered.

My understanding is most expect it to be 20% and seats will be assigned in groups of 2 or 3 or 4 people with other groups 6 ft or more away in all directions. It will need to be assigned seating for tracing purposes.

The world certainly has changed in one year.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Attendance is going to be a mess...

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

I imagine all schools will do presale tickets .

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wch125 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:19 am I imagine all schools will do presale tickets .
This is what I thought as well, much easier to control the numbers by selling pregame only. Away teams only get enough tickets to sell to player families because away seating is typically smaller anyways.

In terms of numbers I think 60 is to high and can be lowered to 40-45 players very easily.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

greygoose wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:19 am
wch125 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:19 am I imagine all schools will do presale tickets .
This is what I thought as well, much easier to control the numbers by selling pregame only. Away teams only get enough tickets to sell to player families because away seating is typically smaller anyways.

In terms of numbers I think 60 is to high and can be lowered to 40-45 players very easily.
I think 60 is a good number because many schools will probably cut down on how many they take on away games. I coach cross country and we had our 1st team trip yesterday. We each had to have our own seat and every kid and coach and driver needed a mask. We have 28 and our bus could only fit 30 that way. Our football team has 60 thats quite a few buses.

We are not sending our band on away trips but still Im sure schools will look at there budgets also . Crazy new times.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wch125 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:31 am

I think 60 is a good number because many schools will probably cut down on how many they take on away games. I coach cross country and we had our 1st team trip yesterday. We each had to have our own seat and every kid and coach and driver needed a mask. We have 28 and our bus could only fit 30 that way. Our football team has 60 thats quite a few buses.

We are not sending our band on away trips but still Im sure schools will look at there budgets also . Crazy new times.
This is true but at that point you're leaving it up to the coaches and school to cut down. It needs to be mandated because I don't think most coaches will make that cut.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

greygoose wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:31 am
wch125 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:31 am

This is true but at that point you're leaving it up to the coaches and school to cut down. It needs to be mandated because I don't think most coaches will make that cut.

Agreed if coaches are not told they cannot do something they will keep on doing it .

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Why not let schools field more than one team if they have lots of kids? Seems like we are going out of our way to give kids football but then we are going to limit roster size? Just schedule down for the B team and let them play

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Howard Cosell wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:11 pm Why not let schools field more than one team if they have lots of kids? Seems like we are going out of our way to give kids football but then we are going to limit roster size? Just schedule down for the B team and let them play

Is not that the definition of a junior varsity team?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Omega wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:36 pm
Howard Cosell wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:11 pm Why not let schools field more than one team if they have lots of kids? Seems like we are going out of our way to give kids football but then we are going to limit roster size? Just schedule down for the B team and let them play

This is true but many schools will dump their JV schedule due to games being played on Monday. This would require a second test for any kid who also dresses on Friday night. My idea let’s them all play on Friday. With 60 kids, many of them would never see the field if they were all on one team.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I get what you're saying but at the same time while they're allowing them to play on the field they're still trying to follow protocols while they're not on the field. Case in point should they follow through with it expanding the sidelines so that it can accommodate social distancing with players on the sideline, going to be kind of hard to do if a team is going to have another 50-60 kids on the sideline. This also will effect the travel aspect of it for some schools with larger roster numbers. The schedule for a B team as you're calling it would be a JV schedule which teams will have as well. So why if it's going to help aid in the protocols needed to have a season would a team need to flood a sideline with JV and freshman players that they know won't see any playing time?? A coach knows his core players and he knows the depth chart and how many they truly needed in order to feel comfortable in terms of quality and depth of their team when they play on Friday night. With everyone's ability to have freshman and JV games as well this seems like a pretty small price to pay given the circumstances.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Howard Cosell wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:47 pm

This is true but many schools will dump their JV schedule due to games being played on Monday. This would require a second test for any kid who also dresses on Friday night. My idea let’s them all play on Friday. With 60 kids, many of them would never see the field if they were all on one team.
I think it's pretty much understood by most, or assumed, that the testing regulations will have to change in order to have a season. I think if all kids were tested say next week, 1 week before the season starts they'd have their results in time, at that point test again half way through the season and again before playoffs and that should suffice. That is if they're keeping some sort of testing in the works.

Flexworth
Freshman Team

Post by Flexworth »

greygoose wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:50 pm
Howard Cosell wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:47 pm

I think it's pretty much understood by most, or assumed, that the testing regulations will have to change in order to have a season. I think if all kids were tested say next week, 1 week before the season starts they'd have their results in time, at that point test again half way through the season and again before playoffs and that should suffice. That is if they're keeping some sort of testing in the works.
Absolutely, the rule of testing everyone weekly is absolutely out and would have to be lifted. To much money involved and headaches on getting results back, as well as parents refusing to let their kids get tested. I can’t even see them getting tested at all. To much involved. If that rule doesn’t get completely lifted, as it should, then don’t see it happening at all.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Close proximity games play a running clock half of jv after varsity

Return to “Football”