2020 Valley 10 - 56 Waverly

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Re: Week 3. Waverly 2-0 vs Valley 1-1

Post by MasterOfNone »

Valley played hard and has some nice athletes. They did decently well for not having their QB. Was kinda surprised with the numbers for Valley tho, looked to only have about 30 kids. I know they are a small school, just typically thought they had more kids in the program. Is there just not a lot of athletes in 9-12 right now? Or are there some kids choosing not to play?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Both. Not big classes. And maybe a handful of kids either transferred or chose not to play I think. But numbers are down. Moved to division 4 for basketball.

Message Board Hero
Waterboy

Post by Message Board Hero »

smurray wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:20 am
Message Board Hero wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:23 am #12 is done for the season for Valley. Was told tonight he has a broken back. Broke it in the 2nd qtr vs NW according to a dad with a kid on the team. Crazy that he was able to play last week.

Although, Valley played very solid for 3 quarters, they were definitely out manned. Was impressed with how hard #10 ran the ball for Valley, that’s a tough spot for a 1st start.

And yes, Waverly threw a deep one to Futhey late in the 4th during running clock. I think they scored twice in the final 2-3 minutes
Waverly’s 2’s & 3’ scored the last one after Waverly’s 2’s intercepted a pass and returned it to around the 5. Waverly’s 3rd QB was in as the #2 QB played DB with the 1’s.
That is true about the last touchdown. But the next last touchdown with five or six minutes left was about a 50 yard pass to Futhey during the running clock.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:05 am Valley played hard and has some nice athletes. They did decently well for not having their QB. Was kinda surprised with the numbers for Valley tho, looked to only have about 30 kids. I know they are a small school, just typically thought they had more kids in the program. Is there just not a lot of athletes in 9-12 right now? Or are there some kids choosing not to play?
Once the divisions were posted this year, I think Valley was just a 2-3 kids shy of following into DVII in football so that tells you a bunch right there.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

greygoose wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:47 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:05 am Valley played hard and has some nice athletes. They did decently well for not having their QB. Was kinda surprised with the numbers for Valley tho, looked to only have about 30 kids. I know they are a small school, just typically thought they had more kids in the program. Is there just not a lot of athletes in 9-12 right now? Or are there some kids choosing not to play?
Once the divisions were posted this year, I think Valley was just a 2-3 kids shy of following into DVII in football so that tells you a bunch right there.
The SOC2 will be at a kind of a crossroads in their make up at year end. Do you swap Northwest with Valley strictly because of enrollment? Look to merge with the OVC? Add or subtract elsewhere?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Wasn’t valley d5 not long ago?

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Valley didn't have many kids in middle school last year and only looks to have about 15 playing between both grades this year. They played a 7th grade schedule last year and struggled with that and are bad again this year.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:13 pm
Looking on Eitel and back tracking a few years looks like they were DV in 2012, and have been DVI since then. I said 2-3 kids but they were 5 kids, they had 126 enrolled and DVII top end was 121.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Omega wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:35 pm
The SOC2 will be at a kind of a crossroads in their make up at year end. Do you swap Northwest with Valley strictly because of enrollment? Look to merge with the OVC? Add or subtract elsewhere?
That's a tough call on that one, based off of the numbers and where they're headed Valley is a strong contender to go to SOC1 play but I don't believe the powers to be want to see Valley drop out of SOC2. Likewise with Northwest I've been saying the entire time eventually they might need moved back up but the reality is until they can show sustained success, like Oak Hill did, Northwest is probably right where they need to be. Northwest has some great numbers coming through the high school rankings right now but I don't know where they're at after that. Even looking at it Portsmouth is just 3 kids away from dropping into DVI. I think a lot of pride and hurt feelings from both Portsmouth side and the SOC2 side kept the Trojans from where they should be at and that's in SOC2. Just makes too much sense that it would benefit both the OVC and SOC2 for Portsmouth to move into SOC2 play, but that's for another day. SOC2 has been set in their ways for so long that eventually they are going to have to look at some changes, whether that's moving a Northwest or reaching out to a team like Unioto who is a DIII/DIV school playing in the SVC could benefit from a move.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

greygoose wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:06 am
MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:13 pm

Looking on Eitel and back tracking a few years looks like they were DV in 2012, and have been DVI since then. I said 2-3 kids but they were 5 kids, they had 126 enrolled and DVII top end was 121.
Yeah I guess they’ve been just one division below ironton the whole time bc ironton was d4 then I thought at one time we were both D5 though

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: 2020 Valley 10 - 56 Waverly

Post by Crab's Brother »

A few thoughts...First on the game.

I thought Valley competed harder this week than they did last week. Waverly just has too many horses. I lost a little respect for Waverly on Friday. Throwing a 40+ yard TD to your Division 1 prospect with 6 minutes and a running clock is crap. I have zero issues with the final one as the ball was on the 5. But it was also scored by the starting tailback. That one I have no issues with due to the field position. But throwing a fade with a running clock and your stud QB hitting your stud WR is crap. I remember Valley taking a knee the last two minutes at Waverly in 2013 during a 42-0 blowout. Some people just have more respect for the game than others.

Valley's numbers are down as enrollment is down. Valley wants no part of dropping back to D1. We are closing in on D7 but we are a year or two away from competing again. Valley will be fine, just in a down cycle on bodies at the current time.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 am A few thoughts...First on the game.

I thought Valley competed harder this week than they did last week. Waverly just has too many horses. I lost a little respect for Waverly on Friday. Throwing a 40+ yard TD to your Division 1 prospect with 6 minutes and a running clock is crap. I have zero issues with the final one as the ball was on the 5. But it was also scored by the starting tailback. That one I have no issues with due to the field position. But throwing a fade with a running clock and your stud QB hitting your stud WR is crap. I remember Valley taking a knee the last two minutes at Waverly in 2013 during a 42-0 blowout. Some people just have more respect for the game than others.

Valley's numbers are down as enrollment is down. Valley wants no part of dropping back to D1. We are closing in on D7 but we are a year or two away from competing again. Valley will be fine, just in a down cycle on bodies at the current time.
I never agree with running up the score ever. But to me this season is kind of different take ironton for example they pkay in an awful league but the divison 5 teams they will see in the playoffs will be on a literal whole other level and ironton starters have yet to see the field in the 4th quarter in 3 games neither on of their running backs even have 30 carries in 3 games at some point i feel like you have to get those live reps in with the shortened season

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:30 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 am A few thoughts...First on the game.

I never agree with running up the score ever. But to me this season is kind of different take ironton for example they pkay in an awful league but the divison 5 teams they will see in the playoffs will be on a literal whole other level and ironton starters have yet to see the field in the 4th quarter in 3 games neither on of their running backs even have 30 carries in 3 games at some point i feel like you have to get those live reps in with the shortened season

Let's see.....Backing off the last 40 yard TD.....

Shanks was 27-37 for 316 and 4 TD's

Futhey had 8 catches for 127 yards and 4 TD's.

If that isn't plenty of reps, then I do not know what is.

That play call was for nothing other than rubbing it in and making the final look worse than what it was.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 am

That play call was for nothing other than rubbing it in and making the final look worse than what it was.
Awe ok then see thats a little different than ironton none of their rbs has had more than 10 carries in a game and that was carrico with 10 carries which is the most he had in a game, i believe he has 30 carries on the season the qb has thrown like 40 passes in 3 games. But if your throwin 40 passes a game i think that is plenty of reps lol

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

What comes around goes around
Waverly is loaded now. They will be a little less loaded next year with the losses of Shanks, Wolf, and Brown

Year after that they start being average again. The coach better not forget that or he may be on the losing end of some beat downs himself.

Message Board Hero
Waterboy

Post by Message Board Hero »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 am

Man, I totally agree. I wasn't that fired up about it but it was definitely an unnecessary thing to do with a running clock. I feel like Waverly wanted to make it look like they dominated the game more than they did. Don't get me wrong, they were better and held the lead all night but Valley really competed the first 3 quarters. Valley's inability to punch in after the long kick return, the fumbled punt, and the INT near the goal line were all tough breaks for the young Indians. Also the 3rd down incompletion near the goal looked like a pretty obvious pass interference. Those are all big "what ifs" but it was only a 28-10 game with a minute or two left in the 3rd, and Valley had just driven inside the Waverly 20.

Waverly put up a couple quick scores, the running clock started, and the young Indians were clearly overmatched. But taking that deep shot was petty and did not need to happen. Like Crab's brother said, the final TD was a result of where they had the ball.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

I lost respect for Valley due to the way the coach screamed at the officials all night.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

The Flush wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 am I lost respect for Valley due to the way the coach screamed at the officials all night.
Darren Crabtree is a class act...period!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

The Flush wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 am I lost respect for Valley due to the way the coach screamed at the officials all night.
Comical

RelaxGoat

Post by RelaxGoat »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:01 am
Darren Crabtree is a class act...period!
He has gotten away with that for years because people think he is a class act.

Return to “Football”