Northwest football 2020

RelaxGoat

Northwest football 2020

Post by RelaxGoat »

Northwest is 1-1. Is it a down year? Or will they win the SOC?

NW97
Freshman Team

Re: Northwest football

Post by NW97 »

Odd question. Asking about a down year with only 2 games played, from a program that isnt known as a perennial winner. I would like to see them win an outright SOC1 title before they move back up to SOC2, but not too sure. I almost feel like the football field was built on a Native American burial ground.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

NW97 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:55 pm Odd question. Asking about a down year with only 2 games played, from a program that isnt known as a perennial winner. I would like to see them win an outright SOC1 title before they move back up to SOC2, but not too sure. I almost feel like the football field was built on a Native American burial ground.
Indian burial mound or some other voodo has hexed the Mohawk program since its inception. Per Mr. Rick Baker's Fourseasonsfootball research website, Northwest has an all time record of 190-400-2. I count only 8 winning seasons since NW started football in 1959. Many blame the district's geography and demographics. There may be simple lack of support from the school admin and community. All or the above or none of the above. Whatever the reasons, the kids in that district need something good to happen to break the cycle.

http://fourseasonsfootball.com/oh.html

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
PistolPete7
Freshman Team

Post by PistolPete7 »

if they can't win in the conference they're in being a monster school playing the lil sisters of the poor. Then something is definitely wrong.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I agree. But what is it? I feel like they have had some decent coaches out there that are invested in the kids and want to build a winning program. From the outside looking in, seems like they have success at the jr high level, but then they don’t progress or keep improving as they get through high school. I don’t know if the kids lose interest or just peak in jr high every year?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I feel bad for Northwest cause they're in a can't-win situation by playing in SOC I. If they dominate SOC I, everybody mad and demanding they be moved back to SOC II. If they don't win the conference, same people are asking "what's wrong with Northwest?" The numbers are good, the facilities have been upgraded, so now the next step for them is coaching stability. You simply cannot replace your head coach every 2-3 years and expect to ever build a program.

As a result of the numerous coaching changes, I see their pee wee and junior high teams over the years doing what they want in order to win games instead of having kids running offense/defense they'll be playing in high school. This will lead to pee wee super bowls/junior high wins, but will it lead to high school success? Give the current coach 4-5 years to build up the program and start working with the pee wee/junior high levels and you'll likely see some long-term success there.*

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Exactly.

tougheveryday
Waterboy

Re: Northwest footballThe talent is there .Hope they can get a winning streak going.

Post by tougheveryday »

transplant wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:33 am I agree. But what is it? I feel like they have had some decent coaches out there that are invested in the kids and want to build a winning program. From the outside looking in, seems like they have success at the jr high level, but then they don’t progress or keep improving as they get through high school. I don’t know if the kids lose interest or just peak in jr high every year?

tougheveryday
Waterboy

Post by tougheveryday »

Defense is getting tuff.Newmans getting his confidence.A WIN streak is on the horizon.Lotta talent on this team.Coach em up and get their confidence up to the next level.MOHAWK NATION 🏈🏈🏈
Last edited by tougheveryday on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Omega wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:23 pm
NW97 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:55 pm Odd question. Asking about a down year with only 2 games played, from a program that isnt known as a perennial winner. I would like to see them win an outright SOC1 title before they move back up to SOC2, but not too sure. I almost feel like the football field was built on a Native American burial ground.
Indian burial mound or some other voodo has hexed the Mohawk program since its inception. Per Mr. Rick Baker's Fourseasonsfootball research website, Northwest has an all time record of 190-400-2. I count only 8 winning seasons since NW started football in 1959. Many blame the district's geography and demographics. There may be simple lack of support from the school admin and community. All or the above or none of the above. Whatever the reasons, the kids in that district need something good to happen to break the cycle.

http://fourseasonsfootball.com/oh.html
Some of the older folks say it's the curse of Ed Miller.
They had a chance to hirer the legendary coach and didn’t. He ended up going to Notre Dame and then Burg and the rest is history. Norm Persin coached girls basketball there for 1 year also.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Northwest has a similar issue that River Valley does. There’s a lot of small towns/hamlets that make up their District which is spread out over a fairly large and sparsely populated area. It’s hard to have an identity when there’s not one to build around. A lot of really good people in the area but if I live on the Adams County line and on a farm, my chances of playing football are slim to none. They’re still building something there. Rome wasn’t built in a day. I think that if their current staff is given some time, they’ll move in the right direction. Plus, you have to factor in that the soccer program at Northwest is typically pretty darn good.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:28 pm Northwest has a similar issue that River Valley does. There’s a lot of small towns/hamlets that make up their District which is spread out over a fairly large and sparsely populated area. It’s hard to have an identity when there’s not one to build around. A lot of really good people in the area but if I live on the Adams County line and on a farm, my chances of playing football are slim to none. They’re still building something there. Rome wasn’t built in a day. I think that if their current staff is given some time, they’ll move in the right direction. Plus, you have to factor in that the soccer program at Northwest is typically pretty darn good.
They've been "building" a program for 25 to 30 years and it's not built yet. It is what it is. Plus, other schools have good soccer and football programs simultaneously. if the district is spread out and sparsely populated, why can the kids make it to soccer and be good but they cant make it to football and be good?

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Hope NW turns the corner one of these days, I really do, but the same excuses they use are old.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
RelaxGoat

Post by RelaxGoat »

They are too big to play in SOC 1. Numbers are there... reflecting is need as to why they always lose. Playing down is not the answer.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

RelaxGoat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 pm They are too big to play in SOC 1. Numbers are there... reflecting is need as to why they always lose. Playing down is not the answer.
From a size stand point they are to big to be in SOC1, which brings up the question why can't they win SOC1?? Think they may have won it 1 time maybe and have faced more losing seasons while in SOC1 play then winning seasons. They've got a large group of kids right now on the team and if I'm Northwest and I can't win a SOC1 title with what they have over the next 1-2-3 years then they really need to take a hard look inside and find out do they have the right guys in place. I mean after seeing them only beat ND 10-6, how do we evaluate that?? Is ND that much improved or has Northwest plateaued to the point that they're going to go into the Symmes Valley and Eastern Pike games as the underdog?? I mean this team only graduated a handful of players and didn't need to replace any significant player.

RelaxGoat

Post by RelaxGoat »

Passing on Miller would definitely put in a league with the Boston Red Sox.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

The number of kids enrolled at the school should not determine what conference you are in. If that was the case valley would have to move down and I guarantee if you ask the other soc 1 schools who they would rather have none would choose valley. Northwest just makes more sense competitively in the soc 1.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Maybe they should replace Ironton in the OVC

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Re: Northwest football 2020

Post by Mad-Dogg »

I’ve always said they should not be in soc 1. Not taking anything away from them but one of the biggest schools in the county in a conference with the smallest schools in the county.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
tougheveryday
Waterboy

Re: Northwest football 2020

Post by tougheveryday »

RelaxGoat wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:51 pm Northwest is 1-1. Is it a down year? Or will they win the SOC?
Northwest defense is lights out tough.offence getting their swagger.so much talent.Brackman top fullback around with Campbell and Rivers and Lintz at running backs.Conner Lintz catches everything.special teams and depth.Coach em up and 5-1 going into playoffs should come to light.

Return to “Football”