Post by mattash »

thoughts?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
packers80
SE

Re: WK4 Portsmouth West - Valley

Post by packers80 »

I'll take Valley but I think it'll be close. West didn't win last week but those young kids gained some confidence.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West grew up alot last week.

Run defense is solid. Secondary still needs improvement but they've also played two potent passing offenses in Waverly and Minford.

At times they ran the ball at will against Minford.

If they play like they did last week they'll get the W.

RelaxGoat

Post by RelaxGoat »

Going with West. Valley’s line is small. W goes to Senators in a close one.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

The Senators

Baseball_Dad
Riding the Bench

Post by Baseball_Dad »

Both teams seemed to play well last week against better teams, but eventually wore down and couldn't keep up. This game was decided in the final minute last year and it wouldn't surprise me if that happened again this week. I'll go with the homer pick and take Valley 21-20.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

This game will come down to missed opportunities. West is young and Valley is just not very good, especially since losing their QB. If there was a betting line I’d take the team that gets points.

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Seen both teams versus Waverly. Both teams have some good young players. 1 and 3 for Valley, 18 and 23 for West. 23 was all over the field defensively for West.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Not sure id say valley is just not very good, they are young, but skilled. With the QB going down, that leaves them with 5 seniors. Not sure any of them are the "leader" type either. So the youngsters will have to grow up quick and lead this team. I look for a decent game Friday.

Message Board Hero
Waterboy

Post by Message Board Hero »

transplant wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:56 am Not sure id say valley is just not very good, they are young, but skilled. With the QB going down, that leaves them with 5 seniors. Not sure any of them are the "leader" type either. So the youngsters will have to grow up quick and lead this team. I look for a decent game Friday.
Transplant, I agree. At one point Friday I saw a Sophomore QB making his 1st start, 2 sophomore WR, 2 sophomore RB, a freshman TE, a sophomore tackle and a junior WR that has always been a soccer player until this year. The Morrow boy was holding his wrist late in the Waverly game and I saw him with cast on yesterday when taking my kids to pee wee practice. It's a very young group who have some skill but you have a ton of inexperience in front of them on the line. I think the entire starting line last year was made up of seniors. Playing up in SOC II is difficult, but I could see Valley winning some playoff games this year when they play schools their size.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Totally agree. Playing up is definitely difficult, Just don't have the numbers like years past when we have been competitive. Hopefully some of the younger players take more of a leadership role and getting experience will only help for the future. By the time they are seniors hopefully they can have some help.

PistolPete7
Freshman Team

Post by PistolPete7 »

Anxious to see Valley next year with Copley under center. Ill take Valley this week 33-23

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

West has some nice and young players. Just a down year. I think they will get a much needed victory in this game.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

PistolPete7 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm Anxious to see Valley next year with Copley under center. Ill take Valley this week 33-23
Next year valley should be really good

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Really good? They will be skilled in most positions, but will still need a line wont they? What do they have coming up from 8th grade? I Heard they were a small class.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Portsmouth West is 38-12 all time vs. Valley.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I didn't realize it was that lopsided.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

LetsBeReal wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 pm West has some nice and young players. Just a down year. I think they will get a much needed victory in this game.
Don't forget ND isn't great by any means, but after the 2nd snap of that game West dominated both sides of the ball

Then they go to Waverly and play a potent offensive team with a green secondary without their best offensive/defensive lineman and team leader.

They took a good Minford team deep into the 4th quarter while making lots of mistakes. And honestly if they call a couple holds on Minford who was almost tackling #63 sometimes, West probably wins that one.

Message Board Hero
Waterboy

transplant wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:43 am I didn't realize it was that lopsided.
West used to dominate Valley for the longest time. When I played we were in SOC I and were no longer playing West. Probably 8-10 years after I graduated, maybe 2000 or 2001, the series started up again. I would say that almost all of Valley's wins have been since then. They may have had one or two back in the day.

Message Board Hero
Waterboy

PistolPete7 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm Anxious to see Valley next year with Copley under center. Ill take Valley this week 33-23
I would doubt that Copley is under center next year. Nickel, the sophomore playing now was pretty darn good in junior high and I saw him have a couple big games last year in JV. I guess anything is possible, but Nickel is quite a bit bigger and I impressed with how hard he ran the ball last week and from what I remember he was always more of a thrower. Finding a way to use both athletes will benefit Valley next year though.

But Transplant hit the nail on the head again, Valley has to develop a line. I see the numbers at the pee wee level are pretty good, but that is not going to help the sophomore class. Valley's linemen really need to have a big year in the weight room and learn from their experience this year.

Return to “Football”