Injured during the week, but play in a game?

tomcatsroll
Freshman Team

Injured during the week, but play in a game?

Post by tomcatsroll »

What's peoples opinion on athletes not practicing all week cause they are injured, but come game time they are fine and don't come out of the game?

What would you do if you was the coach?
Last edited by tomcatsroll on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Injured during the week, but play in a game?

Post by danicalifornia »

tomcatsroll wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:47 pm What's peoples opinion on athletes not placing all week cause they are injured, but come game time they are fine and don't come out of the game?

I assume placing means practicing.

That doesn’t sound like something that happens that infrequently. Yes, you should probably practice to show that you are healthy enough to play. But, it can be case-by-case, especially late in a season.

tomcatsroll
Freshman Team

Post by tomcatsroll »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:52 pm
tomcatsroll wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:47 pm What's peoples opinion on athletes not placing all week cause they are injured, but come game time they are fine and don't come out of the game?

That doesn’t sound like something that happens that infrequently. Yes, you should probably practice to show that you are healthy enough to play. But, it can be case-by-case, especially late in a season.
Happens at our school every week.

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Happens in the NFL weekly.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

tomcatsroll wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:47 pm What's peoples opinion on athletes not practicing all week cause they are injured, but come game time they are fine and don't come out of the game?

My kid badly sprained an ankle on a Friday game. Was injured so bad he couldn’t practice all week. Rehabbed the best he could and taped up for the following Friday to give his team the best possible chance to win. This isn’t typically a habit of his so I don’t think anyone had issue with it. But then again maybe they did

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mlittle wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:26 pm
tomcatsroll wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:47 pm What's peoples opinion on athletes not practicing all week cause they are injured, but come game time they are fine and don't come out of the game?

My kid badly sprained an ankle on a Friday game. Was injured so bad he couldn’t practice all week. Rehabbed the best he could and taped up for the following Friday to give his team the best possible chance to win. This isn’t typically a habit of his so I don’t think anyone had issue with it. But then again maybe they did
Only if a kid that had been on the team since 4th grade was involved, then they would have.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:28 pm

Only if a kid that had been on the team since 4th grade was involved, then they would have.
Wow. Lol

Grizzly&Gatorade
Waterboy

Post by Grizzly&Gatorade »

mlittle wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:38 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:28 pm

Wow. Lol
It’s 2020 brother... you know SOMEONE had an issue with it. Glad to hear your son’s a warrior, and I hope that ankle heals quickly!

SEOfootballFAN1
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOfootballFAN1 »

tomcatsroll wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:17 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:52 pm

Happens at our school every week.
Sounds like good coaching. If that kid is able to miss practice during the week and play the game at a high level on gameday then he must have been prepared well throughout the season. Coaches must have confidence in that kid to let him heal up during the weak and miss reps, then play well on game day. I'd chalk this one up to the coaches knowing their players and their abilities, and handling the situation in a way that benefits the team most.

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

Sounds like someone has a son not getting to play because he isn't good enough so he is complaining thinking he has a case lmao

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

There are many reasons why a kid can miss a week of practice and still play in a game. Maybe the coach is smart, oh my is that possible, and doesn't want the play to reaggravate the injury in a practice.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Allen Iverson said it best, we talking about practice? If kids are just not practicing to no practice, thats one thing. But if a kid is rehabbing an injury during the week and can give it a go on game day, i see no problem with it. Im sure they are still around for practice, seeing and hearing what the game plan is and all that.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

We see it at the NFL and NCAA levels quite frequently.

As long as the kid truly is 'injured,' and is still at practice understanding the game plan and scouting report etc, then I don't see a problem with it.

Now if a kid is just hanging out at the house 3-4 days then showing up to play Friday night? Obviously there's a problem with that. But I don't think that's something you see hardly ever if at all.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Is this a serious question? You want your best players playing in the playoffs regardless. If you have to sit every starter out of practice all week to make sure they are ready to play come game time then you do it

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

exactly, probably not a whole lot of "practice" going on anyway at this point. Mostly walk-throughs and focusing on the game plan for the next game. Sure, there will be some condiotioning and what not. You are right super trooper, you want your best to play. Most of the "practice" right now is the younger kids or scout team or whatever you want to call it , learning and running the other teams plays.

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

this is why you have coaches; they are paid to make these decisions and I believe they do so on a host of factors:
- is the decision best for the team as a whole
- is the decision the best for the individual players health
- do you have a medical DR who states he will be fine to play; is there medical clearance
- the feelings of the parents who upset that their little Johnny is NOT getting their due opportunity does not factor in
- sometimes a really good player's 50% is still better than a backup's 100%
- the old argument of; "but my boy has worked hard and should now be allowed to play" is stupid. Hard work IS important, but, not the end all
- obviously all coaches are hopeful that they have a kid who ready to fill in a needed spot, but again, if you can rest up a top player and get him game ready by end of the week...HE HAS NO CHOICE!! You must do what you can to win the next game, if he cannot go, you utilize your next best option.

Is this really that hard to freaking figure out????

Good God what a soft society we now live in....

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

BigChuck wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 am this is why you have coaches; they are paid to make these decisions and I believe they do so on a host of factors:
- do you have a medical DR who states he will be fine to play; is there medical clearance
- the feelings of the parents who upset that their little Johnny is NOT getting their due opportunity does not factor in
- the old argument of; "but my boy has worked hard and should now be allowed to play" is stupid. Hard work IS important, but, not the end all
- obviously all coaches are hopeful that they have a kid who ready to fill in a needed spot, but again, if you can rest up a top player and get him game ready by end of the week...HE HAS NO CHOICE!! You must do what you can to win the next game, if he cannot go, you utilize your next best option.

No better way to put it, Well Said!

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

My rule was if you dont practice, you dont play.

SEOfootballFAN1
Riding the Bench

PirateFan[69] wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:04 am
BigChuck wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 am this is why you have coaches; they are paid to make these decisions and I believe they do so on a host of factors:

No better way to put it, Well Said!
Right on!

SEOfootballFAN1
Riding the Bench

alabama mike wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:07 am My rule was if you dont practice, you dont play.
Ignoring all factors before making that decision? You must have either had a LOADED roster, or were a bad coach, OR minimal post season experience. lol

Return to “Football”