FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: State Championship Location Announced

Post by FANOSPORTS »

rickoshay wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:11 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:42 pm
Tjhtygeverve wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Agreed!
.......and it's centrally located, seats 8,000 and could be expanded easily for more seating.....and when you're talking about overhead with places like Ohio Stadium, Fawcett (Tom Benson) and/or other bigger venues it would have to be a lot cheaper. Not as much pomp, circumstance and hoopla but that keeps the cost down in itself. Get it done OHSAA, sign a contract for the future and save yourself some money at the same time and I'm sure the schools and fans from SE, SW and NW Ohio would appreciate it greatly !!!!!
If the Obetz team makes the finals some year, every team will say "NO Fair"
Well, Groveport has improved the last couple years and were the only team to beat Pick Central last year during their title run. If they could only keep the district kids from going to Harvest Prep, Hartley or moving to Pickerington it might help. The Obetz area has boundary lines that jut in and out so some areas go to Groveport and across the street go to Hamilton Township. Just North of Williams road the kids go to Marion-Franklin in the Columbus City Schools. It's weird. ;)

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

After looking at the picture, are there only stands on one side of the field? That would just be too weird for me. Would rather have it at a normal D1 stadium in Columbus if that's the case.

Zunardo
Freshman Team

Post by Zunardo »

Otto wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:24 pm After looking at the picture, are there only stands on one side of the field?
That's correct. You could put up temporary bleachers on the far side for a separate visitors section, but with the Covid attendance restrictions, there's no reason to. Also, the two scoreboard/video screens are both on the visitor's side, so folks sitting there wouldn't have a view of them.

I'm pretty sure Obetz officials never envisioned hosting the state finals games there when they planned and designed the facility. The goal was to hold a wide-variety of sporting and concert events there, and Obetz has succeeded in that respect.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:23 pm I think It's great. No particular school affiliation in general. It's the old Columbus Motor Speedway property on Williams Rd on the Redneck South end of C-bus. It's only 5 or 10 minutes off I-270, Rt. 23, Rt. 33, Alum Creek drive and South High street. Their are many eating places within 5 minutes regardless off which way you come in, North -South - East or West. It sits between the Groveport-Madison, Hamilton Township and Marion-Franklin school districts. They had to find something to do with the property after the Speedway went out so they built this for Soccer, Rugby, Football, Concerts, etc. and the famous yearly big town of Obetz biggest event, the "Zucchinifest". I personally wouldn't mind if they would hold it here evey year since it's only 15 minutes from my house. :D
FOS - When I saw this earlier today, I knew you'd be happy with it being right in your back yard. I know exactly where this is and knew it was an easy in and out for anyone attending. If you've ever attended the championships in Canton, well, that is not the case. A complete pain-in-the-ass trying to get yourself out of that mess and out to I-77 to head south to get home. Honestly, I am happy to read the sentiments of the folks on here, I think it is a great choice and hope that it is a good experience for the fans who's teams are fortunate enough to make that far to play on that field!

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Zunardo
Freshman Team

Post by Zunardo »

rickoshay wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:11 pm If the Obetz team makes the finals some year, every team will say "NO Fair"
I got a chuckle out of this. By rights, "the Obetz team" would be Hamilton Township. But to be honest, even Rangers fans like me don't see that happening anytime soon, although we think we have a shot at getting to the Regional semis in the next few years. After that, who knows?

As FANOSPORTS says, Obetz is adjacent to the boundaries of Groveport and Columbus. Nearly all students in the Obetz village proper go to Hamilton Local Schools, which were all annexed into Obetz about 15 years ago. The oddity is that there are two streets (I think) within Obetz that are in the Groveport school district, for some reason.

You want to see something weird, check out the Hartman Pond subdivision on Rathmell Rd, built within the last 10 years or so. Residents can throw a rock and hit Hamilton Elementary School, but those properties were annexed into Columbus City Schools when the property was sold to developers - part of the infamous Win-Win agreement from years ago.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Steely Dan wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:06 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:23 pm I think It's great. No particular school affiliation in general. It's the old Columbus Motor Speedway property on Williams Rd on the Redneck South end of C-bus. It's only 5 or 10 minutes off I-270, Rt. 23, Rt. 33, Alum Creek drive and South High street. Their are many eating places within 5 minutes regardless off which way you come in, North -South - East or West. It sits between the Groveport-Madison, Hamilton Township and Marion-Franklin school districts. They had to find something to do with the property after the Speedway went out so they built this for Soccer, Rugby, Football, Concerts, etc. and the famous yearly big town of Obetz biggest event, the "Zucchinifest". I personally wouldn't mind if they would hold it here evey year since it's only 15 minutes from my house. :D
FOS - When I saw this earlier today, I knew you'd be happy with it being right in your back yard. I know exactly where this is and knew it was an easy in and out for anyone attending. If you've ever attended the championships in Canton, well, that is not the case. A complete pain-in-the-ass trying to get yourself out of that mess and out to I-77 to head south to get home. Honestly, I am happy to read the sentiments of the folks on here, I think it is a great choice and hope that it is a good experience for the fans who's teams are fortunate enough to make that far to play on that field!
Yep. I'd hop on over there in a heartbeat every year if they'd keep the games after this year. I spent enough over the decades going to Ohio Stadium, Massillon and Canton for the whole weekend on parking, gas, eats, hotels, etc. and it would be nice to drive 15 minutes each way. :D (All they would have to do in a normal championship year would be add seating for the other side of the field...... and it has to be much cheaper than hosting in Canton & Ohio Stadium.....but I think that makes to much sense so OHSAA will never consider it. :cry: )

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Zunardo wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:25 pm
rickoshay wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:11 pm If the Obetz team makes the finals some year, every team will say "NO Fair"
I got a chuckle out of this. By rights, "the Obetz team" would be Hamilton Township. But to be honest, even Rangers fans like me don't see that happening anytime soon, although we think we have a shot at getting to the Regional semis in the next few years. After that, who knows?

As FANOSPORTS says, Obetz is adjacent to the boundaries of Groveport and Columbus. Nearly all students in the Obetz village proper go to Hamilton Local Schools, which were all annexed into Obetz about 15 years ago. The oddity is that there are two streets (I think) within Obetz that are in the Groveport school district, for some reason.

You want to see something weird, check out the Hartman Pond subdivision on Rathmell Rd, built within the last 10 years or so. Residents can throw a rock and hit Hamilton Elementary School, but those properties were annexed into Columbus City Schools when the property was sold to developers - part of the infamous Win-Win agreement from years ago.

I don’t know but doesn’t Canton McKinley play there home games at Fawcett stadium, so didn’t they play in a few state championships there?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:23 am
Rolltanks wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:38 am What a joke
Why is that a joke? It should be in a central location every yr. I’m shocked they choose that location but IMO it should be in columbus every yr
I agree doggie. I been beatin this horse for years.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:19 am
Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:23 am
Why is that a joke? It should be in a central location every yr. I’m shocked they choose that location but IMO it should be in columbus every yr
I agree doggie. I been beatin this horse for years.
IKR!!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Just goes to show, someone will always complain!

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

I realize my opinion is unpopular. I would pick Paul brown to host all state games. Not a fan of Columbus or canton. Massillon is just a great experience on all levels. At that time in that town can’t beat it.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

My vote would also be for Paul Brown Stadium. Hate the long drive but absolutely love the atmosphere and the hospitality.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

When you take into additional consideration that D4 and D6 will be played on Sunday (the 22nd), this location is a no-brainer.

Fortress Obetz is a great facility, for all of the intents and purposes for which it was originally constructed. In the context of Ohio high school football and how the setting compares to Stark County, it is boring. And that was probably by intention, too (although I presume OHSAA may have gotten it for a good price as well.) If folks want to honk around Columbus all day before or after the game, that’s their right of course. But there’s going to be basically nothing else to do while you’re there. Which, in these times it may not be a bad thing!

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Freaking crybabies. Be thankful you are playing. Good grief.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Watching the D1 championship game and honestly, I think this is a great location. Can always bring in more seating.. neutral site in the middle of the state that can become the new home for HS football

14U
S

Post by 14U »

All State games should be in middle of the State!! Look at all the years teams stay home in their own beds while most travel many hours and stay in motels. Plus Columbus has anything you need. I also watch many State games from all over the country on tv and they are all in their university stadiums or pro. That is what it’s all about for these players playing where big time ball is played

Return to “Football”