Region 23

efarns
S

Region 23

Post by efarns »

I noticed on the state semifinal and regional championship thread, lots of people were interested in remarking that the region is bad, terrible, and no good. So, since there is so much interest in that topic, I thought I'd create a space for those people to talk about Region 23 struggles. Some possible topics to discuss:

Why is it so bad?
Will it get worse?
Should schools stop offering football?
Should they suspend sending a team to the state tournament altogether?
How should we punish teams that have the audacity to win?

RollCoal
JV Team

Re: Region 23

Post by RollCoal »

To me, I think everyone bashes this region because it’s been a good while that anyone has made it to the State finals. I think this region has some really talented teams that have represented SEO in the state semifinals. I know things are/were different this season with all teams being eligible for the playoffs. For example, the 18 seed made it to the quarterfinals, the 10th to the regional semifinals. The 1 and 3 seeds played for the regional championship. No region is per say a “cakewalk “ to the regional title.
Regardless of whether a team from here makes it to the state finals or not, they have the opportunity to advance by playing the game. Just making it to the state semifinals is a big deal in itself. Good luck to the Cadets this week and punch your ticket to Obetz !

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Not just this region majority of the teams that make it to the semis finals usually get hammered by northern teams until Seohio wins a couple times and pulls off some legit wins this region will continue to be judged by everyone

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

NY BUCKS wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:06 pm Not just this region majority of the teams that make it to the semis finals usually get hammered by northern teams until Seohio wins a couple times and pulls off some legit wins this region will continue to be judged by everyone
Bingo !!!!!

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The region gets bashed because there are so few good programs in it. Fort Frye, Valley, Centerburg, N-Y... that's basically it. Fairland and Coal Grove may have respectable teams but they are not considered in any sense to be traditionally strong or perennially competitive programs in the playoff discussion. The only other "good" programs in this region have had some of their worst teams in memory, such as Fredericktown and Grandview Heights. Plus, other recently competitive and good programs that traditionally have played in this region instead are in Region 24 (Adena, Paint Valley) or in other divisions (Shadyside, Bishop Ready, Newark Catholic.)

What I think folks, notably Fort Frye fans, don't consider is that a shallow region by no means undermines the resume and valor of a great team such as FF. It is possible for Fort Frye to have a really good team (which they do) while also it being the case that Region 23 lacks meat on the bones past them.

Return to “Football”