2021 GALLIA ACADEMY BLUE DEVILS FOOTBALL

MR305
Freshman Team

Re: 2021 GALLIA ACADEMY BLUE DEVILS FOOTBALL

Post by MR305 »

Geronimo wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:18 pm That's is heart for game ? I question that a lot today! Thats just me .
What?

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Mr. 305

Does this team do any kind of camp at beginning of summer anymore? or do they do them but were impossible to do the last 2 years? I know that it was something that coach Eddy started and i know those couple of days together really brought the 2012 and 2018 teams together and set the expectations and success of summer

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

svac83 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:28 pm Mr. 305

Does this team do any kind of camp at beginning of summer anymore? or do they do them but were impossible to do the last 2 years? I know that it was something that coach Eddy started and i know those couple of days together really brought the 2012 and 2018 teams together and set the expectations and success of summer
Did Eddy coach in 2012 AND 2018? :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

svac83 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:28 pm Mr. 305

There wasn’t any type of camp last year and nothing so far this year. I agree with you, it builds team chemistry and it sets the team’s expectations. I get the feeling that people around the program are content on 8-2 or 9-1 seasons with a playoff appearance. There are kids on this team that want more and they are expecting more.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

actually i guess camp would of started as far as i know in 2009. becasue when my son was a freshmen in 2011 not 2012 i don't know why i keep calling it 2012. But the flyer that i have that i took notes on as a parent says 3rd annual wing T camp. They did it basically first week in summer school was out before vacation season started and spent 2 nights in the dorms at rio grande. I know the two years coach Bart was here they continued the camps. I don't know about the next 3 years for sure but i know in 2017 and 2018 when coach Penrod came back that there were camps at rio grande. I believe in 2019 Rio had raised price of over night stays at dorms. And they ran something out of middle school that year for camp. I have no idea what has happened since then my guess is covid restrictions have probably had a lot to do with it.

It was great to have like 6 practices in 3 days to start summer off. each evening their was a guest speaker and team activities and bonding. I know coach Penrod and coach Mac were really supportive and believed in the camps so i cant believe it is that the coaching staff would not like to have them. But i also Don't know what coach Penrod's life has been like since his wife's cancer diagnosis and becoming a parent and all. Maybe things like camp have not been a priority. I have no idea. With COVID, me moving to a new house, and a change in my work schedule. I have not talked to any coaches really probably in over 2 years now. And with no kids in school I can't really say i know a thing about where the program is at. But i do look forward catching up with them over the next year.

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

I remember past teams doing that. Maybe Covid/finances has made things tough, but thats when you have to be innovative. Other OVC schools are doing things that are new and unique. I think thats alot of the reason why we are getting left behind.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

svac83 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:59 pm
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:52 am Curious how they'll use Williams and Franklin. svac, do you have any idea what the depth chart will look like?
I have no idea. It is my understanding they have not really had a non consistent summer so far. In between kids doing summer basketball and attending camps and vacations. i was told they had have had a ton of kids in out over the summer but i am not sure they really know how many kids they are going to have come august 1st.

We are going to have some kids play out of position and several kids more then last few years playing both ways. Especially early unless there are some surprises in the next couple of weeks. There just aren't going to be enough ready to play at varsity level i don't think.

My new neighbors son is a freshmen and he told me last week at weight lifting that on Monday they had about 25 kids at weight lifting and on Wednesday there were almost 25 kids and there were only 5 or 6 kids that were the same kids from Monday.

His dad says starting Monday that they are basically starting to go every day.

As far as new coaches go. As far as i know this is his first year as coach. Cole Carter is now on staff.
Cole was on staff last year, but will be taking over as Defensive Coordinator as Coach Cooper isn't returning. As for Coach Cooper, let's just say you'll see him week 1 but not in Blue and White.

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

If Gallia is truly expecting and wanting more then it is half past time to move on to a bigger conference. With the exception of Ironton, who Gallia is in no way on the same level with, then they should absolutely not be on the same field with the small Div 5 and 6 schools they play. Again, On paper Gallia should be the most dominant school in all sports in the OVC and guess what....they're not even close....

If Gallia wants and expects to take the next step...then that school needs to take the next step. Start playing schools in your division. Pretty simple, huh?

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

BigChuck wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:08 pm If Gallia is truly expecting and wanting more then it is half past time to move on to a bigger conference. With the exception of Ironton, who Gallia is in no way on the same level with, then they should absolutely not be on the same field with the small Div 5 and 6 schools they play. Again, On paper Gallia should be the most dominant school in all sports in the OVC and guess what....they're not even close....

If Gallia wants and expects to take the next step...then that school needs to take the next step. Start playing schools in your division. Pretty simple, huh?
To be fair, Fairland isn't THAT much smaller than GA. And Portsmouth has no business being as small as they are. City of 21k. Chillicothe is similarly sized with even more (significantly bigger) surrounding districts (Southeastern and Unioto) than Portsmouth (which has Notre Dame and West)

I'm all for Gallia Academy joining a new conference with some old opponents like Jackson and Athens, but this wasn't a conversation we were even having back before the 2017 season. It's only when GA fields a halfway good football team that they're a "big fish in a small pond"

The OVC isn't a great fit for GA, I agree, but it's likely the only real fit available at present. I'd like to see a local big school league with schools like Point Pleasant, Jackson, Athens, GA. All not terrible travel times. I'd even be okay with joining a conference with VC, Oak Hill, Wellston, and Athens.

I just don't see it happening, even though it'd be a great thing.

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

BigChuck wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:08 pm If Gallia is truly expecting and wanting more then it is half past time to move on to a bigger conference. With the exception of Ironton, who Gallia is in no way on the same level with, then they should absolutely not be on the same field with the small Div 5 and 6 schools they play. Again, On paper Gallia should be the most dominant school in all sports in the OVC and guess what....they're not even close....

To be clear, I'm saying there are a group of kids on this current varsity team that want more. More coaching, conditioning, team camps, 7v7, joint practices and so on. Covid, is not an excuse, many other teams are doing these things. Do the coaches or administration want/expect more of the programs/teams is the question? I'm gonna say NO they don't. They are content with 8/2 or 9/1 and a playoff appearance.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

MR305 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:59 pm

To be clear, I'm saying there are a group of kids on this current varsity team that want more. More coaching, conditioning, team camps, 7v7, joint practices and so on. Covid, is not an excuse, many other teams are doing these things. Do the coaches or administration want/expect more of the programs/teams is the question? I'm gonna say NO they don't. They are content with 8/2 or 9/1 and a playoff appearance.
Mr 305 i am going to tell you that i disagree with you. But to be honest with you I don't have anything to back that up. i am to far removed right now to know what is going on for sure. From what i know about MR. Clark he wants us to excel and would love for us to be able to hang a regional championship banner up. I think he has high expectations of his coaches and his programs.

I am very biased i really like coach Penrod and Coach MAC and how they coach kids and turn them in to good football players and even prouder of the young men they turn out of the program. Are they still doing the same job have they lost some of their fire maybe i don't know. So i do respect your opinion.

And i do have to say in 2011 and 2018 this program seemed to be doing all the extra things and all the little things to get better. I will just have to take your word for that. If it is not happening now.

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

Not sure what to say, that I haven't already said 100 times.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Where exactly is this conference that you would like us to join? I agree with you that the OVC is not a good football conference and doesn't prepare them for post season play. Also before you talk about size of gallia academy lets wait and see what new set of enrollment figures comes out. the last set put them at 221 and that was becasue of the 3 classes counted on had 65 boys one had 63 boys one had one had 93. this team is really a very small division 4 school. i am sure they would join the SOV if they would let them in. The TVC would not let them in.

so you control your non conference games. last year they would of had if not cancelled western brown a school much bigger then them. this year they have meigs a local gate game but meigs enrollment is only 30 less then gallia academy, you have athens who has almost 100 more boys then gallia academy and you have point pleasant who has over 150 more boys then gallia academy.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

OVC. With travel time it's a good fit for GA. Teams up north has gave GA trouble in the past playoff wise but when you have forty plus players and Ironton gets transfers out the a&& .Portsmouth use to be a basketball power in the day state titles the 1986 blue devil is the best team that came out of GA jmo the 1970 team was very good undefeated but no playoffs back then but jmo with 40plus players no transfers its hard.GA has a good coach.let Jackson run there mouth just like Ironton .just take care of business on the field good luck this season.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Who besides oak hill in jamboree game is Gallia scrimmage or having a joint practice with?

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

What is up with Gallia academys participation numbers? 25 kids is a crazy small amount. How are the numbers at the junior high level? and what kind of youth football now happens in town? i know the the midget football thing went away and then we got into that traveling league are we still doing that. I don't expect the numbers to ever get above the low to mid 40's but 25 is highly questionable. since we started full time varsity soccer we have not had a roster over 44 kids.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

svac83 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:48 pm What is up with Gallia academys participation numbers? 25 kids is a crazy small amount. How are the numbers at the junior high level? and what kind of youth football now happens in town? i know the the midget football thing went away and then we got into that traveling league are we still doing that. I don't expect the numbers to ever get above the low to mid 40's but 25 is highly questionable. since we started full time varsity soccer we have not had a roster over 44 kids.
WOW, 25 from a school that size has to raise a lot of questions if you're a Gallia faithful. Is it the coaching, the league, really what is going on. I know the last few years they really thought they had a team and it didn't pan out for them against the better teams come playoff time. This is a team though that over the last 3 regular season games are 22-3 with a loss to Jackson and 2 to Ironton something doesn't add up for sure.

MR305
Freshman Team

Post by MR305 »

greygoose wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:58 pm
svac83 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:48 pm What is up with Gallia academys participation numbers? 25 kids is a crazy small amount. How are the numbers at the junior high level? and what kind of youth football now happens in town? i know the the midget football thing went away and then we got into that traveling league are we still doing that. I don't expect the numbers to ever get above the low to mid 40's but 25 is highly questionable. since we started full time varsity soccer we have not had a roster over 44 kids.
WOW, 25 from a school that size has to raise a lot of questions if you're a Gallia faithful. Is it the coaching, the league, really what is going on. I know the last few years they really thought they had a team and it didn't pan out for them against the better teams come playoff time. This is a team though that over the last 3 regular season games are 22-3 with a loss to Jackson and 2 to Ironton something doesn't add up for sure.
No doubt it’s coaching. Out of the 23/24 kids you have 11 that are sophomores. This is probablly the most talented group of kids that has came through Gallia Academy and it will be wasted. Program unfortunately is on the decline at the wrong time.

Thegreenwave
Riding the Bench

Post by Thegreenwave »

I was told the real number is 19 players not sure if thats true or not.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Maybe the government is paying them not to play.

They pay parents not to work.

Return to “Football”