Ironton vs Kirtland State Championship

Valenth
SEOP

Re: Ironton vs Kirtland State Championship

Post by Valenth »

The Way I see this State Championship.

I see Two Highly talented Squads who have worked through a rough year known as 2020. Both Teams have Proven their worthy beyond the shadow of Doubt for this Title Game. I hope both teams a safe and Injury free game.

Kirtland is a powerhouse team.
Ironton is full of Talent and continues to have a bright future.

I wish the Best for the Tigers and Hornets Both!

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

Clay Alexander wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:47 pm Remember what I said. Ironton will be fine until they face the likes of Kirtland. NE Ohio will once again rein dominant over a lowly, as compared to NEO or the MAC, SEO team.
I wouldn’t count them completely out. I’m not. I know revenge from last year will be a big motivator for them in this one. NEO is doing pretty good though. There is a team in every championship game from D2-D7. Akron and Massillon in D2, Chardon in D3, Mentor Lake Catholic in D4, Kirtland in D5, New Middletown Springfield in D6 and Warren JFK in D7

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

If anyone wants to see the game that didn’t get to see it or check them out or whatever there is 3 parts on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/yU4mFNS7zes

https://youtu.be/ub1pqPKQ86M

https://youtu.be/vI2nfSdUKHw

6O HORN3TS 🐝
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

NoPain23 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:13 am Ironton has been tough all year, but this week their playing the best opponent since last years Kirkland team. Ironton doesn’t have a weakness but I’m sure Kirkland will be sure to find it. Kirkland is very disciplined, but so is Ironton. Whoever wins will have to play mistake free football. I’ll guess the tiger bring home 23-21.
Have to disagree with this assessment the last 2 weeks have showed Ironton at their weakest points of the season. The fumbles and turnovers are a major concern going into this one, they have to play mistake free football to have a shot, something they haven't done lately.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:25 am
Kirtland80 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:11 am
wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:07 am

How has turnovers been for Kirtland? This may come into play.
8 on the season
That’s pretty good. I’m not sure what ironton has.
17 on the season if maxpreps is correct

6O HORN3TS 🐝
OVCFAN83
Waterboy

Post by OVCFAN83 »

I think the difference in this game is Kirtland's throwing efficiency, just seems like they do a better job of executing when they need to. If Ironton can get some play action going with the run game, they can keep this one in check. If Kirtland can hold Ironton's run game in check on early downs they become much easier to defend and may run away with this one. I see it Kirtland 28- 14. Good luck to both teams!

Second2None
Waterboy

Post by Second2None »

Reid Carrico, as he has been all year will be the best player on the field, this isn't basketball and 1 man doesn't make a team but I won't be betting against big #28 in orange and black. Kid is a different breed, and because of that Tigers by 10

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Kirtland,28-7

Have gun, will travel
Clay Alexander
Waterboy

Post by Clay Alexander »

Kirtland80 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:29 pm
Clay Alexander wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:47 pm Remember what I said. Ironton will be fine until they face the likes of Kirtland. NE Ohio will once again rein dominant over a lowly, as compared to NEO or the MAC, SEO team.
I wouldn’t count them completely out. I’m not. I know revenge from last year will be a big motivator for them in this one. NEO is doing pretty good though. There is a team in every championship game from D2-D7. Akron and Massillon in D2, Chardon in D3, Mentor Lake Catholic in D4, Kirtland in D5, New Middletown Springfield in D6 and Warren JFK in D7
Correct. SEO football just doesn't measure up. Every team in that area gets a stern wakeup call when they get lucky enough to venture into the final 4. They may get by in a weak division from time to time but for the most part the MAC and NEO teams send them back down south with their tails tucked.

Have gun, will travel
PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Clay Alexander wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:58 am
Correct. SEO football just doesn't measure up. Every team in that area gets a stern wakeup call when they get lucky enough to venture into the final 4. They may get by in a weak division from time to time but for the most part the MAC and NEO teams send them back down south with their tails tucked.
Is that true for Division V in 2017?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Question for kirtland fans. Carrico gets a lot of hype around here, rightfully so but the number 1 for kirtland looks just as big and can play. He’s pretty good in his own right.

Is he looking at playing in college?

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:27 am Question for kirtland fans. Carrico gets a lot of hype around here, rightfully so but the number 1 for kirtland looks just as big and can play. He’s pretty good in his own right.

Is he looking at playing in college?
#1 Mason Sullivan RB/LB 6’1 205 senior. Has offers from Sienna Heights, Baldwin Wallace and Akron. Has accounted for 15 TD’s and 858 yards throughout the playoffs

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

I never said that. Those are your words, not mine, but NEO has had quite a bit of success this year yes

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

OVCFAN83 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:56 am I think the difference in this game is Kirtland's throwing efficiency, just seems like they do a better job of executing when they need to. If Ironton can get some play action going with the run game, they can keep this one in check. If Kirtland can hold Ironton's run game in check on early downs they become much easier to defend and may run away with this one. I see it Kirtland 28- 14. Good luck to both teams!
We haven’t had to throw much but the times we have in the playoffs, we are averaging over 20 yards per completion. That’s one thing I think this team is better at vs last season. The run game and defense is about the same. That wasn’t against Ironton so it’s a wild guess how the pass game will stack up. 5 of 7 for 126 yards and 2 td’s vs Manchester, 7 of 9 for 119 yards and 2 td’s vs Sandy Valley, 1 of 1 for 43 yards and 1 td vs Garaway, 5 of 7 for 222 yards and 3 td’s vs South Range, and 6 of 7 for 126 vs Otsego
Last edited by Kirtland80 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

6O HORN3TS 🐝
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Kirtland80 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:12 am
OVCFAN83 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:56 am I think the difference in this game is Kirtland's throwing efficiency, just seems like they do a better job of executing when they need to. If Ironton can get some play action going with the run game, they can keep this one in check. If Kirtland can hold Ironton's run game in check on early downs they become much easier to defend and may run away with this one. I see it Kirtland 28- 14. Good luck to both teams!
We haven’t had to throw much but the times we have in the playoffs, we are averaging over 20 yards per pass. That’s one thing I think this team is better at vs last season. The run game and defense is about the same. That wasn’t against Ironton so it’s a wild guess how the pass game will stack up
Ironton has to pass well in this game to win. They are a play action type of passing team. The QB is pretty good. Throws a nice ball. Not very mobile but athletic. Ostego was better suited for opening up the field on kirtland. That’s probably their defensive weakness. Im not sure irontons qb can do what ostego qb did. I could see a fast moving game with kirtland winning although I think ironton is more than capable to upset kirtland.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:19 am
We haven’t had to throw much but the times we have in the playoffs, we are averaging over 20 yards per pass. That’s one thing I think this team is better at vs last season. The run game and defense is about the same. That wasn’t against Ironton so it’s a wild guess how the pass game will stack up
Ironton has to pass well in this game to win. They are a play action type of passing team. The QB is pretty good. Throws a nice ball. Not very mobile but athletic. Ostego was better suited for opening up the field on kirtland. That’s probably their defensive weakness. Im not sure irontons qb can do what ostego qb did. I could see a fast moving game with kirtland winning although I think ironton is more than capable to upset kirtland.
I put passing stats in this post. Was editing it as you replied. We have been spreading the ball to multiple receivers so it’s anyone’s guess who the ball will go to. I would think Gage would be the main target but there’s been multiple games where that’s not the case. I’m not saying we get 20 yard passes vs Ironton defense because we haven’t played them yet. That’s just the numbers so far. Yeah we had to defend more field vs Otsego and South range than we have any other teams so far, especially South Range. Their passing game was legit. They just didn’t have the defense to slow us down

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Clay Alexander
Waterboy

Post by Clay Alexander »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:19 am

Is that true for Division V in 2017?
Did you read the whole post?

Have gun, will travel
Clay Alexander
Waterboy

Post by Clay Alexander »

Kirtland80 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:08 am

I never said that. Those are your words, not mine, but NEO has had quite a bit of success this year yes
As I said, correct. Also, NEO is typically head and shoulders above anyone from SEO. My words, not yours just to be clear. :roll:

Have gun, will travel
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Kirtland80 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:31 am

I put passing stats in this post. Was editing it as you replied. We have been spreading the ball to multiple receivers so it’s anyone’s guess who the ball will go to. I would think Gage would be the main target but there’s been multiple games where that’s not the case. I’m not saying we get 20 yard passes vs Ironton defense because we haven’t played them yet. That’s just the numbers so far. Yeah we had to defend more field vs Otsego and South range than we have any other teams so far, especially South Range. Their passing game was legit. They just didn’t have the defense to slow us down
It will be interesting to see if ironton tries to spread out the hornets. Like I said the QB throws a good pass but if the first read isn’t there, I’m not sure if he will have time to go to his second. Their online doesn’t seem suited. My guess is they will probably spread it out to give carrico some running lanes. Maybe some quick outs. I don’t know. It will be interesting how they will game plan. I just don’t think they can get it done with their power formation. I think that plays into kirtland hands. As far as kirtland moving the ball, they won’t be able to run very well on the edge, up the middle is where it’s at against ironton and that’s tough too but easier in my opinion than going on the outside. Kirtlands passing game might be the advantage in this one.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:49 am
Kirtland80 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:31 am

It will be interesting to see if ironton tries to spread out the hornets. Like I said the QB throws a good pass but if the first read isn’t there, I’m not sure if he will have time to go to his second. Their online doesn’t seem suited. My guess is they will probably spread it out to give carrico some running lanes. Maybe some quick outs. I don’t know. It will be interesting how they will game plan. I just don’t think they can get it done with their power formation. I think that plays into kirtland hands. As far as kirtland moving the ball, they won’t be able to run very well on the edge, up the middle is where it’s at against ironton and that’s tough too but easier in my opinion than going on the outside. Kirtlands passing game might be the advantage in this one.
They usually get in the backfield quick, or at least they have until this point. My guess would be if his first read isn’t there, he won’t have time for the second. Just a guess based on what we’ve done so far. Is he mobile to tuck it and run if his first read isn’t open? If he is mobile he may be able to tuck and run and keep it from being a negative play or buy himself enough time to pass on the run to a different read than his first. South range qb was very good at making his reads and got rid of the ball fast. The biggest part of our runs are right at you. We had 538 yards offense vs Otsego and 452 of that was on the ground and most of them right up them middle to just physically wear them out. The matchups will be very interesting indeed. Can’t wait to see how this plays out! Is it Saturday yet?

6O HORN3TS 🐝

Return to “Football”