2021 WAVERLY TIGERS FOOTBALL

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Waverly 2021

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:14 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:40 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:22 am

That's an interesting take, really the only leg up Wade has though is in knowing the system. I believe from a talent and arm talent especially the Hurd boy is going to push for the starting position or wouldn't surprise me to see him alternate in and then take over. I believe until week 1 the QB competition will be wide open at Waverly.
Idk much about Hurd. He very well could compete for the starter this year and may be overall a more talented QB. Would love to see competition between all of them, will only make them better. But you are right, Wade does know the system very well which gives him an advantage. I think Wade does have some talent tho, he throws a decent ball and uses his legs well. I think the thing with Wade that will help him is the system may be built around more of his strengths if they decide to go with him. The past two seasons when he would step in and play he was trying to execute plays that were meant for Haydn. And that’s a tough thing to do. Haydn was one of a kind and to expect anyone to step in do what was asked of Haydn themselves is a tough spot to be in.
If it’s the Hurd boy that played QB at west, he needs to play QB. He’s going to be good
That's what it sounds like and I agree with you, that's why I won't be shocked if he wins the starting job. Arm strength and overall talent I think wins out over knowing the system. Kid has plenty of time to learn it.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:14 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:40 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:22 am

That's an interesting take, really the only leg up Wade has though is in knowing the system. I believe from a talent and arm talent especially the Hurd boy is going to push for the starting position or wouldn't surprise me to see him alternate in and then take over. I believe until week 1 the QB competition will be wide open at Waverly.
Idk much about Hurd. He very well could compete for the starter this year and may be overall a more talented QB. Would love to see competition between all of them, will only make them better. But you are right, Wade does know the system very well which gives him an advantage. I think Wade does have some talent tho, he throws a decent ball and uses his legs well. I think the thing with Wade that will help him is the system may be built around more of his strengths if they decide to go with him. The past two seasons when he would step in and play he was trying to execute plays that were meant for Haydn. And that’s a tough thing to do. Haydn was one of a kind and to expect anyone to step in do what was asked of Haydn themselves is a tough spot to be in.
If it’s the Hurd boy that played QB at west, he needs to play QB. He’s going to be good
Yes, he is going to be very good. Waverly will not replace Shanks but they will have options at QB to go with and Waverly will be very very good again next year.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

West's quarterback last year was Irwin. I believe he's a sophomore

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:29 pm West's quarterback last year was Irwin. I believe he's a sophomore
The Hurd boy came in and threw some nice passes when they played at Waverly. We know he didn’t start.... nice looking freshman. Not too bad on the basketball court either.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:41 pm Fort Frye would be a heck of a haul for a regular season game for whichever team makes the trip if they end up playing week 1.

Waverly is getting to a point in the program that they are expecting to field a competitive team every year, no matter what. You obviously have to be realistic and recognize that we may not see a team as talented as what we just had this year in awhile. But the expectations are still high.

Waverly lost a very talented class this year, so going forward next year there will be some new faces out there. But they do return a decent amount of players to where they will still be very much competitive.

Offensively
WR - They will have 3 three-year starters coming back in Futhey, Morrison and Stulley. Will need to figure out who that 4th and 5th WRs could be.
TE - Could be Crabtree or Barnett at least for blocking purposes. May see a Freshman play that spot, especially if they were wanting someone who could be a receiving threat.
RB - They will have more than enough options to pick from here. Could see Harris, Hurd and Shoemaker all be in the mix.
QB - My guess will be Wade Futhey. He will be a senior who has backed up Shanks for two years now. He’s been in meaningful Varsity games and knows they system well. After next season, I’m guessing they will be starting a Sophomore QB.
Oline - This position will determine a lot for this team. They only return one starter. So this unit will be new to the Varsity level. They have some more than capable enough guys who can step in. How this unit plays will be a reflection of the overall teams record next season.

Defensively
Dline - They return two very good DEs in Futhey and Crabtree. The interior line will have many returners as well. They rotate DTs a lot so they will be fine there.
LBs - they will be losing all linebackers from last year, so this will be a huge spot to fill. Kind of a mystery who will get the nod here. Could be any combo of Shoemaker, Barnett, Brushart, Harris and maybe even a Freshman.
CB - they will have both starting corners back in Marquez and Morrison.
Safeties - they will be returning Stulley but losing Wolf. Last season they used Wade Futhey as a back up here. But idk if he will be playing there if he is starting QB. So not sure who will be that second Safety.
Several kids moving in since this post and word of others coming out who didn’t play last year.
Hurd from West has decent size and a nice arm. Will compete at QB, not sure if he plays defense.
Brothers from Berne Union - oldest one should be a starter on defense some where. Film I’ve seen has him at OLB.
Speedster Alex Boles to hit the gridiron. Another threat at WR, slot, etc. - Tigers should be loaded at the skill positions once again.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Loosing alot on both side of the ball. Shanks is a huge loss. You don't replace a guy like that. Running back by committee but really no homerun threat. Offensive line is a question mark. Have to find a way to involve Futhey and Morrison more.
Picking them third place in the SOC with losses at Wheelersburg and West

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I have got a three race horse. I think waverly's offensive scheme is well in place right now to not have them as a contender. West should be a threat. Junior and Sophmore classes are good.

I like burg's defense this year. I think they will be very quick and deep. Burg needs to find a offensive line and a QB they can trust. Running Back for Burg should be the best in the area.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

1. Burg
2. Tigers
3. West
4. Minford

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

GalliaTribe wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:01 pm 1. Burg
2. Tigers
3. West
4. Minford
Where does Valley and Oak Hill finish?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:33 pm
2. Tigers
3. West
4. Minford
I'm not sure on Valley but don't they return a good number.
1. Burg
2. Tigers
3. West
4. Valley
5. Minford
6. Oak Hill

Wouldn't be surprised to see Minford last, seems lime the oaks keep beating them.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:53 pm
2. Tigers
3. West
4. Minford
1. Burg
2. Tigers
3. West
4. Valley
5. Minford
6. Oak Hill

Wouldn't be surprised to see Minford last, seems lime the oaks keep beating them.
A long way to go but I’ll list em this way right now:
1. Waverly
2. Wheelersburg
3. Valley
4. West
5. Oak Hill
6. Minford

I just now realized I switched your 1/2, 3/4 & 5/6.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:25 pm

1. Burg
2. Tigers
3. West
4. Valley
5. Minford
6. Oak Hill

1. Waverly
2. Wheelersburg
3. Valley
4. West
5. Oak Hill
6. Minford

Lol, yeah I do believe in the end oak hill and Minford finish how you have them. I think West takes another step forward this year, I think either way with them and valley. West is a year out I believe to really competing for that top spot. Waverlys big hole at QB keeps me from putting them over burg, plus that big back for burg will be used properly this year, I believe so anyways. Look for him to be a 20 touch guy.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Since Waverly is the defending champs until games are played I think it goes
1. Waverly
2. Burg
3. West
4. Valley
5. Oak Hill
6. Minford

Eager to see West for the growth they’ve had, Waverly the defending champs can they continue the winning. Burg will be on a revenge tour to get back the SOC crown, Valley avoiding injuries I think should compete. Know nothing of Oak Hill or Minford

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:55 pm
smurray wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:25 pm

1. Burg
2. Tigers
3. West
4. Valley
5. Minford
6. Oak Hill

1. Waverly
2. Wheelersburg
3. Valley
4. West
5. Oak Hill
6. Minford

Lol, yeah I do believe in the end oak hill and Minford finish how you have them. I think West takes another step forward this year, I think either way with them and valley. West is a year out I believe to really competing for that top spot. Waverlys big hole at QB keeps me from putting them over burg, plus that big back for burg will be used properly this year, I believe so anyways. Look for him to be a 20 touch guy.
Huge mistake not getting him at least 20 touches.
Waverly QB is a huge question mark coming in but I think you see a little different offense. No one is going to make some of the throws Shanks made so the offense will need to adjust some. Waverly will be blessed with a plentiful amount of play makers, it’s just a matter of getting them the ball. Who ever is QB will need protection to throw the ball - to get it to the 4-5 receivers who will be a threat to take it to the house every time they touch it. The RB position will be deep with different styles of runners. Having Shoemaker back will be huge. He will be more like the back from Wheelersburg, not quite as big but Shoe will be the bruiser. Don’t know if they will but I can see two backs in there at the same time on occasion. Adding Boles into the mix at WR, RB, slot, etc. will be a great addition. Dude is blazing fast... we lose Wolf at safety, don’t know if Boles could step in there or not.
The move in from Berne Union will most likely step into one of the LB spots. I watched some film of him.
Don’t know if Hurd played defense at West but he has a nice LB body.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: 2021 Waverly Tigers

Post by smurray »

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

smurray wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:05 am
Congrats to Will.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Gonna take Burg to win it this year. I think West is 1 year behind. I know the one Hurd was reasonable given the situation, it just sucks to lose them both. Absolutely blows my mind the amount of kids we are losing to open enrollment. And the crazy thing is, we have been dominant in about every class from the Juniors down to the 8th grade. It would be one thing if you are losing, but to transfer to teams that you are beating just doesnt make sense to me. The two we lost to Notre Dame did not make the entire team but were good pieces to the puzzle. You take 4 classes in a row that could fight for conference championships and playoff runs, to trade in for getting to play the positions you want at a small school like ND. Call me old fashioned, but i hate that we are taking the pride out of where you are from.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

SiderBlood wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:49 am Gonna take Burg to win it this year. I think West is 1 year behind. I know the one Hurd was reasonable given the situation, it just sucks to lose them both. Absolutely blows my mind the amount of kids we are losing to open enrollment. And the crazy thing is, we have been dominant in about every class from the Juniors down to the 8th grade. It would be one thing if you are losing, but to transfer to teams that you are beating just doesnt make sense to me. The two we lost to Notre Dame did not make the entire team but were good pieces to the puzzle. You take 4 classes in a row that could fight for conference championships and playoff runs, to trade in for getting to play the positions you want at a small school like ND. Call me old fashioned, but i hate that we are taking the pride out of where you are from.
That's 2 of us...West looks pretty solid next 3-4 years, but are still losing good athletes yearly to transfer. Not just football players either, and kids whose parents grew up and played for West. Maybe it is just position-shopping for these kids, but seems like there got to be more to the story.*

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West has lost 2 kids who will be Freshmen, 2 that will be sophomores, and junior out of like 60. They return basically the entire team.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Return to “Football”