SEOPS HO

Re: 2021 WAVERLY TIGERS FOOTBALL

Post by smurray »

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

@smurray ,

Have there been any updates on the current status of the Waverly football program in light of the school district going to remote learning the week of Sept 13th? Will the team be allowed to practice? Is the Court House game still on for the 17th? If not, are there any potential replacement opponents or will the focus now move on to Portsmouth West in two weeks?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

The school district is going to remote learning in order to sanitize and get many of it's younger students back from quarantine and sort of just do a reset. The football team wasn't in quarantine and had actually been asked by the coaches to start wearing mask and socially distance the best way they could during the day. This shouldn't effect any sports at waverly unless they find themselves with a large number of kids in quarantine or positive which isn't the case with the football team. They were cleared to play Friday night, Chillicothe simply didn't want to take a chance with so many waverly fans coming up and the high number of positives per 1k people in the state there in pike county they just felt safer not opening that box. Waverly, like many schools in the area weren't proactive in the fight against COVID and trying to maintain relatively low numbers they were simply reactive and like so many other schools that took this same approach they learned they can't beat it by saying everything is "normal" let's go. Look for Waverly and Courthouse game to be played unless something comes up from Courthouse's end.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Omega wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:38 am @smurray ,

Have there been any updates on the current status of the Waverly football program in light of the school district going to remote learning the week of Sept 13th? Will the team be allowed to practice? Is the Court House game still on for the 17th? If not, are there any potential replacement opponents or will the focus now move on to Portsmouth West in two weeks?
Waverly was ready to play last night and was caught off guard, learning of Chillicothe cancelling after their practice Thursday evening.
Waverly is still practicing and plans to play Court House.

Waterboy

Post by 1506 »

Chillicothe simply didn’t want the L last night! Have you seen the numbers for Covid in Ross county? That was an excuse. Coaches can blame the admins all they want but the Chillicothe coaches should have fought to make that game happen. I would say 99%of the football players,coaches, administrators all were out and about last night putting themselves near others that possibly have Covid. Guaranteed half the football team and coaches loaded up and went to watch their next opponent play and sat shoulder to shoulder with people from another area that possibly could have covid. Bottom line is someone made a decision and stole one one of the last games the senior football players will play without looking at the fact that no one on the Waverly football team is on quarantine and no one has Covid. Call it what you want and so will I. Game should have been played period!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

smurray wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:09 pm
My son worked out with some of the Waverly and Piketon kids this spring. Had a very strong feeling Morrison was going to have a big year. Very impressed with him.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

1506 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:51 am Chillicothe simply didn’t want the L last night! Have you seen the numbers for Covid in Ross county? That was an excuse. Coaches can blame the admins all they want but the Chillicothe coaches should have fought to make that game happen. I would say 99%of the football players,coaches, administrators all were out and about last night putting themselves near others that possibly have Covid. Guaranteed half the football team and coaches loaded up and went to watch their next opponent play and sat shoulder to shoulder with people from another area that possibly could have covid. Bottom line is someone made a decision and stole one one of the last games the senior football players will play without looking at the fact that no one on the Waverly football team is on quarantine and no one has Covid. Call it what you want and so will I. Game should have been played period!
Completely Gutless. Pretty sure we just saw over 100k people jammed into the Shoe to play Oregon.

I thought high school football was way less political with their decisions.

Chillicothe avoided the game to help with their playoff chances/seeding.

Maybe if Chillicothe just called it off and didn’t seek another opponent they could of sold it. BUT THEY DID! They went searching for a game they could win.

Zane Trace traveled to Piketon and almost won.

Only thing missing is a Chillicothe Confession!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly is on the phone today trying to find a game for this weekend. Apparently not as many cancellations this week.
Today is the cut off - if no game is found by the end of the day Waverly will be sitting a second week which is unfortunate and didn’t need to happen.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:36 am Waverly is on the phone today trying to find a game for this weekend. Apparently not as many cancellations this week.
Today is the cut off - if no game is found by the end of the day Waverly will be sitting a second week which is unfortunate and didn’t need to happen.
This is crazy to do that to the kids, I'm sorry but we've seen where teams have found games literally the day before and played. Waverly really want to go 2 weeks without a game heading into league play?? Doesn't sound like a smart move, plus I'm curious has anyone heard if they're going simply off computer points or are coaches going to be involved with playoff ranking? Seems like another move that would push Waverly down farther in the seeding by not getting points.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:27 pm
smurray wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:36 am Waverly is on the phone today trying to find a game for this weekend. Apparently not as many cancellations this week.
This is crazy to do that to the kids, I'm sorry but we've seen where teams have found games literally the day before and played. Waverly really want to go 2 weeks without a game heading into league play?? Doesn't sound like a smart move, plus I'm curious has anyone heard if they're going simply off computer points or are coaches going to be involved with playoff ranking? Seems like another move that would push Waverly down farther in the seeding by not getting points.
Computer points….

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

smurray wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:41 pm
greygoose wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:27 pm
Computer points….
Chillicothe being D3 would of really helped.
WCH Being D4 would of helped too

D5 and D6 the rest of the way

Not to many teams look like they will have winning records
Unless a D3 or higher game is scheduled this week, I wouldn’t expect Waverly to finish higher than 3rd If they win out

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Could very easily be 5th if 4/5 win this week

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Did Waverly find a game? Better hope they don't end up having to cancel a game later in the season. 8 game minimum for playoffs right? Or did they lower it?

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I thought I read it was lowered to 5

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Ok, thanks, I wasn't sure. Not as big of a deal to sit 2 weeks in a row then I guess.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

5 game minimum

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Gotcha, thanks.

Savin Davey
Waterboy

Post by Savin Davey »

They should be getting a forfeit this week.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly hosts Portsmouth Friday at 7:00

Return to “Football”