Mascot Issues Again Surface...Cleveland To Drop 'Indians'...Will High Schools Do The Same?

radiodavel
JV Team

Mascot Issues Again Surface...Cleveland To Drop 'Indians'...Will High Schools Do The Same?

Post by radiodavel »

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2020 ... o-the-same

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Re: Mascot Issues Again Surface...Cleveland To Drop 'Indians'...Will High Schools Do The Same?

Post by PurplePower »

I think its time for schools to rethink this sort of thing. According to Ancestry.com, I am 2.3% native american. It would make me happy to see Logan drop the name Chieftains. Maybe we can get some suggestions on here. I know the coaching staff and administration read this site.

BEWARE OF THE STOMP AND STARE!
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Re: Mascot Issues Again Surface...Cleveland To Drop 'Indians'...Will High Schools Do The Same?

Post by Howard Cosell »

If Logan was gonna go down that rabbit hole, shouldnt they change the name of their town too? The surrounding land was taken from the people of Chief Logan. Seems offensive to keep that name. They should follow the example of the good people of Flavortown and name the city after something they are well known for.......

Hhmmmm.....

For a new town name, I suggest Bricktown. Or maybe Brickville. Do t hey have a big L in the middle of their field? That is a consideration in this matter.

Now for the school....... how about the Purple Nurples?

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Howard Cosell wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:49 am If Logan was gonna go down that rabbit hole, shouldnt they change the name of their town too? The surrounding land was taken from the people of Chief Logan. Seems offensive to keep that name. They should follow the example of the good people of Flavortown and name the city after something they are well known for.......

Hhmmmm.....

For a new town name, I suggest Bricktown. Or maybe Brickville. Do t hey have a big L in the middle of their field? That is a consideration in this matter.

So Logan Elm needs changed too. Even Logan, WV and Logan Utah...etc. How about a college near Portsmouth? Every boys and girls camp named after an Indian tribe.. Heard a bird and a tiger complaining the other day. Then there was this tall guy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Cleveland will stay with Indians for the 2021 seasons. They will do away with all these names and when some one mentions Indian they will say what is that.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Marietta College is reviewing their mascot too..ridiculous.

Dear Marietta College Family,

In light of recent events around our country and feedback from alumni and other friends of the College, Marietta College will undergo a thorough review of its Pioneer Mascot. This 12-month process makes official the preliminary discussions our leadership team and I have been having with interested alumni constituents throughout this past summer and fall, as well as with the Board of Trustees and Marietta College Alumni Association.

The review allows the College to take into account its storied tradition that dates back nearly 200 years, while also engaging alumni, students, faculty, staff, local community members, and a variety of other stakeholders. We believe the review process can and will be conducted with the best interest of everyone in mind. We will only be reviewing the Pioneer Mascot and logo, not the College’s long-standing Tower logo.

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

BobcatQB wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:18 am Marietta College is reviewing their mascot too..ridiculous.

Dear Marietta College Family,

In light of recent events around our country and feedback from alumni and other friends of the College, Marietta College will undergo a thorough review of its Pioneer Mascot. This 12-month process makes official the preliminary discussions our leadership team and I have been having with interested alumni constituents throughout this past summer and fall, as well as with the Board of Trustees and Marietta College Alumni Association.

The review allows the College to take into account its storied tradition that dates back nearly 200 years, while also engaging alumni, students, faculty, staff, local community members, and a variety of other stakeholders. We believe the review process can and will be conducted with the best interest of everyone in mind. We will only be reviewing the Pioneer Mascot and logo, not the College’s long-standing Tower logo.

My alma mater....Washington and Jefferson.....those dudes were slave owners. That name gotta go.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Post by Football Historian »

This is how mature people handle it..... this is Stafford High in Virginia ...

In 2005, the Native American mascot controversy prompted the National Education Association to recommend schools with Native American-based mascots change their team names. Stafford High School’s administration considered a name change until meeting with the local Patawomeck tribe, for whom the mascot was named. Tribal leaders overwhelmingly supported keeping the team name “Indians,” but were unhappy with the mascot's historical inaccuracy. The original mascot featured a full-feathered headdress more common to the Plains Indians than to the ancestral Patawomeck tribes native to the Stafford area. Stafford High School art teacher Nick Candela drafted the artwork for the new mascot and obtained support and approval from Tribal leaders and various school organizations.[3] The new mascot was unveiled in late 2014.

Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

I say that if Logan has to change it's nickname that it is high time they honor one of their own. The most amazing alumni they ever had. A former student and coach. No....not Katie Smith. Being an Olympic Gold Medalist wont suffice in this case....

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

Wait for it...

THE LOGAN PALADINS !!!!!!!

Now that is a name everyone in Logan can rally around!

Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

Football Historian wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:27 am This is how mature people handle it..... this is Stafford High in Virginia ...

In 2005, the Native American mascot controversy prompted the National Education Association to recommend schools with Native American-based mascots change their team names. Stafford High School’s administration considered a name change until meeting with the local Patawomeck tribe, for whom the mascot was named. Tribal leaders overwhelmingly supported keeping the team name “Indians,” but were unhappy with the mascot's historical inaccuracy. The original mascot featured a full-feathered headdress more common to the Plains Indians than to the ancestral Patawomeck tribes native to the Stafford area. Stafford High School art teacher Nick Candela drafted the artwork for the new mascot and obtained support and approval from Tribal leaders and various school organizations.[3] The new mascot was unveiled in late 2014.
That wont fly in todays world. The Patawomeck people just dont realize how oppressed they still are. Just ask the democratic party. :mrgreen:

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

If Logan does this I'll be done with them. What's next, we have to change our usernames on here? What a joke. As a bulldog owner I'm offended by Athens' nickname so since one person in the world is offended do they have to change it? :mrgreen:

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Football Historian wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:27 am This is how mature people handle it..... this is Stafford High in Virginia ...

Exactly...common sense, humility, pride and historical significance. Unfortunately, our country is changing quickly and these traits are no longer important.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Chief Kdogg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:42 am If Logan does this I'll be done with them. What's next, we have to change our usernames on here? What a joke. As a bulldog owner I'm offended by Athens' nickname so since one person in the world is offended do they have to change it? :mrgreen:
ease up on the changing of usernames. Rumor is that certain Logan alumni have several names.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
DILLIFAG
Waterboy

Post by DILLIFAG »

Well if we are gonna change some names lets get a list going.

1. Logan Paladins - I hadnt considered this but it just makes sense.

2. Caldwell - whatever we change this name to its gotta be something that will entice Coach Caldwell to go there once he is done at Trimble. Gilligans?

3. Logan Elm - Maybe we pattern them after Stanford and call them the Trees? Logan Elm Trees! makes sense to me.

4. Vinton County - I am sure it is unfair to the heritage of those of Nordic descent to use the name Vikings. Why not go back to being the McArthur Generals? Or how about the Bixxers?

5. South Gallia - Cant use Rebels. Thats pretty offensive. How about Moonshiners? That would fit with the unofficial leading industry in that area.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Thanks Democratic Party

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Ridiculous. Like I said, if Logan tries this I'm done supporting them. What a joke.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Howard Cosell wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:49 am If Logan was gonna go down that rabbit hole, shouldnt they change the name of their town too? The surrounding land was taken from the people of Chief Logan. Seems offensive to keep that name. They should follow the example of the good people of Flavortown and name the city after something they are well known for.......

Hhmmmm.....

You do realize that NO ONE is making Cleveland change their name. Their owners are doing so, when in this country did we feel it's ok to tell owners of businesses. If the ownership group wants to change their name, that is totally their decision. Some of you are just too much of snowflakes!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:59 am

Hhmmmm.....

You do realize that NO ONE is making Cleveland change their name. Their owners are doing so, when in this country did we feel it's ok to tell owners of businesses. If the ownership group wants to change their name, that is totally their decision. Some of you are just too much of snowflakes!
Yes. For as rampant as "P.C. culture is ruining America" quips are, the only complaining noticeable are the average joe's argle-bargling over something that doesn't affect them and otherwise doesn't interest them in the first place.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:28 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:59 am

Hhmmmm.....

Yes. For as rampant as "P.C. culture is ruining America" quips are, the only complaining noticeable are the average joe's argle-bargling over something that doesn't affect them and otherwise doesn't interest them in the first place.
Not sure what you are even saying in that post. Have you been drinking? :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”