Waterboy

Re: 2021 Vinton County Vikings

Post by AMERICANFLAG »

Let the fun begin!

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

I hear that the used car salesamn in belpre didnt get regired. Might be worth a call to see if he has interest in our job. We could always use another used car lot. If he specializes in 4 wheel drives he could make bank in McArthur.

Disklaimer: These here thoughts are my opinions. Dont mean too hurt nobodies feelins. Are we still able to state opinions on here without unfair retribution from certain folkes?
Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Kenny,
You need to keep up bro! The "used car salesman" was two coaches ago! lol

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Any word on applicants?

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
The Narddog
Waterboy

Post by The Narddog »

I heard from a person who is in the know that the board wants Jeff Downs and they are planning on offering him the job.

Flexworth
Freshman Team

Post by Flexworth »

The Narddog wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:04 pm I heard from a person who is in the know that the board wants Jeff Downs and they are planning on offering him the job.
Haha, you mean the same board that voted him out just two years ago after he was recommended by administration wants him back now? I find that highly unlikely. The word around town is a guy from out of state is was offered the job recently. Hopefully they hire someone very soon. I believe coach Bethel stepped down in the middle of January. What has taken so long??

The Narddog
Waterboy

Post by The Narddog »

Flexworth wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:34 am
The Narddog wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:04 pm I heard from a person who is in the know that the board wants Jeff Downs and they are planning on offering him the job.
Haha, you mean the same board that voted him out just two years ago after he was recommended by administration wants him back now? I find that highly unlikely. The word around town is a guy from out of state is was offered the job recently. Hopefully they hire someone very soon. I believe coach Bethel stepped down in the middle of January. What has taken so long??
The board isn’t the same as it was 2 years ago. I hear the new member is a huge Downs supporter and is pushing hard for him.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The Narddog wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:25 pm
Flexworth wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:34 am
The board isn’t the same as it was 2 years ago. I hear the new member is a huge Downs supporter and is pushing hard for him.
The board is the same as two years ago. Downs will not be the HC at VC.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

How long can they go before they name a coach. Idk what’s going on but it could be hard to get a good candidate to apply if they drag this out even longer

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Rolltanks wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:37 pm How long can they go before they name a coach. Idk what’s going on but it could be hard to get a good candidate to apply if they drag this out even longer
The board has their man. All that needs done is dotting I’s and crossing T’s.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Dundas wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:04 am
Rolltanks wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:37 pm How long can they go before they name a coach. Idk what’s going on but it could be hard to get a good candidate to apply if they drag this out even longer
Good to here hope new coach sticks around. Too much talent has been wasted at Vc over the past several seasons imo.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Rolltanks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:30 pm
Good to here hope new coach sticks around. Too much talent has been wasted at Vc over the past several seasons imo.
I feel like coach bethel and his staff have done a very good job setting a foundation of expectation. The new coach will build on that and barring any unforeseen circumstances (as with what happened to coach Bethel) the new coach will be here for the long haul. With that said, Coach Bethel would have been here for years to come and I know a lot of people that wanted that. However, we all understand that life and family come first and wish the Bethel family the best moving forward. One thing is for sure, we will always support and back him and his family.

To your point, prior to coach Bethel, I feel like there were things done that weren’t the best in terms of building the program. I feel like we’re headed in the right direction. Especially with the new coach who will be approved at the next board meeting.

Flexworth
Freshman Team

Post by Flexworth »

Dundas wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:45 pm
Rolltanks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:30 pm

I feel like coach bethel and his staff have done a very good job setting a foundation of expectation. The new coach will build on that and barring any unforeseen circumstances (as with what happened to coach Bethel) the new coach will be here for the long haul. With that said, Coach Bethel would have been here for years to come and I know a lot of people that wanted that. However, we all understand that life and family come first and wish the Bethel family the best moving forward. One thing is for sure, we will always support and back him and his family.

To your point, prior to coach Bethel, I feel like there were things done that weren’t the best in terms of building the program. I feel like we’re headed in the right direction. Especially with the new coach who will be approved at the next board meeting.
I completely agree. The football program was definitely heading in the right direction. Hopefully the new guy can keep it going that way. One of the things I loved that Coach Bethel did was bringing in new faces to the program for his staff. The previous assistants stayed the same and lingered under 4 - 5 head coaches. Hopefully the new coach detains some of coach Bethel’s staff or brings in his own guys and we don’t see the same guys that were under downs, wellman, burleson, and yates.
Last edited by Flexworth on Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Good to hear it and good luck next season

vikingfan?
Waterboy

Post by vikingfan? »

Flexworth wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:18 am I completely agree. The football program was definitely heading in the right direction. Hopefully the new guy can keep it going that way. One of the things I loved that Coach Bethel did was bringing in new faces to the program for his staff. The previous assistants stayed the same and lingered under 4 - 5 head coaches. Hopefully the new coach detains some of coach Bethel’s staff or brings in his own guys and we don’t see the same guys that were under downs, wellman, burleson, and yates.
Its almost like every single coach was the problem. It probably has nothing to do with an attitude in VC where players, parents, and school board members put themselves in front of the team.

I also didn’t see how the around 500 coach that is departing is better than the 500 coach he replaced.

Until VC gets its shot together and supports the team (like not moving to Jackson because daddy didn’t get what they wanted) it’ll be more of the same regardless of the coach.

It’s just selfishness.

Flexworth
Freshman Team

Post by Flexworth »

vikingfan? wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:16 pm
Flexworth wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:18 am I completely agree. The football program was definitely heading in the right direction. Hopefully the new guy can keep it going that way. One of the things I loved that Coach Bethel did was bringing in new faces to the program for his staff. The previous assistants stayed the same and lingered under 4 - 5 head coaches. Hopefully the new coach detains some of coach Bethel’s staff or brings in his own guys and we don’t see the same guys that were under downs, wellman, burleson, and yates.
Its almost like every single coach was the problem. It probably has nothing to do with an attitude in VC where players, parents, and school board members put themselves in front of the team.

I also didn’t see how the around 500 coach that is departing is better than the 500 coach he replaced.

Until VC gets its shot together and supports the team (like not moving to Jackson because daddy didn’t get what they wanted) it’ll be more of the same regardless of the coach.

It’s just selfishness.
Why are you responding to my post with this? I never said Coach Bethel was the problem? It’s unfortunate he had to step down. And as far as a .500 coach replacing a .500 is not correct. Im positive the coach before, along with the 4 before him didn’t come close to averaging.500. I don’t care about the records. The past two years things were different and things were finally looking up. Vc had the best HC and assistants ive seen in 20 plus years.

Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

Cabell Midland is full of proven winners. This new guy will take what he did there and bring it over to McArthur.

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

Koondogger 2.1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:24 pm Cabell Midland is full of proven winners. This new guy will take what he did there and bring it over to McArthur.
Sounds like someone knows something

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

meatswinger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:11 am
Koondogger 2.1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:24 pm Cabell Midland is full of proven winners. This new guy will take what he did there and bring it over to McArthur.
Sounds like someone knows something
NY will continue to rule the TVC Ohio with Athens challenging them from time to time. Over every 10 year period those two combined will win at least 8 championships. If VC wants to join that mix they'll need to find a coach who can get the job done and who will stick around for more than a few years. That hasn't been the case for a long time though so I don't look for it to change any time soon. JMO :mrgreen:

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Was the new coach hired last night at the BOE meeting?

Return to “Football”