2021 SOC1

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: 2021 SOC1

Post by greygoose »

cptobvious wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 am All the talent in the world can't overcome bad coaching.
In years past Bill Crabtree surrounded himself with a good coaching staff. They all quit after last season and it is now 100% the Bill Crabtree show. And as majority of unsuccessful coaches do, he blames the kids. Kids cant "step-up" if they haven't been developed. And not developing players is on the coach. I thought that was the reason Northwest dropping into SOC1, to develop a program. With two of the starters (Campbell and Lintz) being seniors there should be players ready to step into those positions but that's not the case. The 3rd kid, a junior (Butler) went out early last season so we haven't seen him play since his freshman year. I'm sure we will hear Crabtree whine again this week about this starters being out but maybe someone should remind him he has a roster of 42 and ask him why those kids aren't developed and ready to go.
Some of it is absolutely coaching, you've got a QB that can throw, a RB who's probably one of the top guys in the area. The offense they run keeps those guys handcuffed in a big way. Anyone that has seen Campbell run imagine him in a Portsmouth or Waverly style offense spread out with a lot of area to run. It's just crazy to think what they could've done offensively but the coach stayed in his comfort zone and didn't allow his players to be their best version.

Mohawks51
Waterboy

Post by Mohawks51 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:39 pm
cptobvious wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 am All the talent in the world can't overcome bad coaching.
In years past Bill Crabtree surrounded himself with a good coaching staff. They all quit after last season and it is now 100% the Bill Crabtree show. And as majority of unsuccessful coaches do, he blames the kids. Kids cant "step-up" if they haven't been developed. And not developing players is on the coach. I thought that was the reason Northwest dropping into SOC1, to develop a program. With two of the starters (Campbell and Lintz) being seniors there should be players ready to step into those positions but that's not the case. The 3rd kid, a junior (Butler) went out early last season so we haven't seen him play since his freshman year. I'm sure we will hear Crabtree whine again this week about this starters being out but maybe someone should remind him he has a roster of 42 and ask him why those kids aren't developed and ready to go.
Some of it is absolutely coaching, you've got a QB that can throw, a RB who's probably one of the top guys in the area. The offense they run keeps those guys handcuffed in a big way. Anyone that has seen Campbell run imagine him in a Portsmouth or Waverly style offense spread out with a lot of area to run. It's just crazy to think what they could've done offensively but the coach stayed in his comfort zone and didn't allow his players to be their best version.
Luckily Northwest does actually have an entire spread playbook. In fact they run it a decent bit more than people give them credit for so we have seen Campbell in a spread. Additionally Northwest actually didn’t take a single under center snap against valley in the 20-21 season. Northwest lost 6-28 and Campbell averaged 4.33 yards per carry with a longest run of 7 yards. Comparatively against valley this year he averaged 7.42 yards per carry strictly running the ball in the double wing and had a longest run of 26 yards. Additionally as a team last year northwest averaged a total of 5.8 yards per play as opposed to 7 yards per play this year. And touching on how good they could be in a spread offense, they ran a spread offense last Friday and lost to one of the worst teams in the area. I also just pulled up some Kirtland film and noticed they strictly stay under center and run a gap blocking scheme, also noticed they’ve added some double wing concepts this year. Maybe they should fire Laverde. He obviously don’t care about putting his kids in the best position or else they’d be a spread team as well.
Last edited by Mohawks51 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Insomniac wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:00 am When does Northwest go back to SOC 2?

Red&blue1999
Waterboy

Post by Red&blue1999 »

Who quit? Why did they quit last season?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Mohawks51 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:17 pm
Luckily Northwest does actually have an entire spread playbook. In fact they run it a decent bit more than people give them credit for so we have seen Campbell in a spread. Additionally Northwest actually didn’t take a single under center snap against valley in the 20-21 season. Northwest lost 6-28 and Campbell averaged 4.33 yards per carry with a longest run of 7 yards. Comparatively against valley this year he averaged 7.42 yards per carry strictly running the ball in the double wing and had a longest run of 26 yards. Additionally as a team last year northwest averaged a total of 5.8 yards per play as opposed to 7 yards per play this year. And touching on how good they could be in a spread offense, they ran a spread offense last Friday and lost to one of the worst teams in the area. I also just pulled up some Kirtland film and noticed they strictly stay under center and run a gap blocking scheme, also noticed they’ve added some double wing concepts this year. Maybe they should fire Laverde. He obviously don’t care about putting his kids in the best position or else they’d be a spread team as well.
Watched them plays several times, seen this years Valley game and 90% at least of their offense is under center all 11 in the box. You can give me stats all you want, Northwest was also missed 2 weeks to quarantine last season and those stats are looked at with a grain of salt based on what transpired last season. Plus saying we can run a spread, but we have 4 plays out of it isn't good enough the team needs to be much less predictable. This is why Northwest struggles with a team like S. Valley every year that style is up right up there alley. I'm glad you were able to pick out 1 game over the years of games but you simply done it to skew the numbers in your favor which isn't the norm. Anyone that has seen NW knows the offense is predictable and ran the same 90-95% of the time.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

greygoose wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:31 am
Mohawks51 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:17 pm

Watched them plays several times, seen this years Valley game and 90% at least of their offense is under center all 11 in the box. You can give me stats all you want, Northwest was also missed 2 weeks to quarantine last season and those stats are looked at with a grain of salt based on what transpired last season. Plus saying we can run a spread, but we have 4 plays out of it isn't good enough the team needs to be much less predictable. This is why Northwest struggles with a team like S. Valley every year that style is up right up there alley. I'm glad you were able to pick out 1 game over the years of games but you simply done it to skew the numbers in your favor which isn't the norm. Anyone that has seen NW knows the offense is predictable and ran the same 90-95% of the time.
NW play calling is a joke. This group of seniors has regressed under the current regime. No development personnel wise or scheme wise. I hate it for the kids because they don't deserve this. Good luck to the Mohawks the rest of the season, hopefully they get a much needed win Friday in against the oaks. But if they don't....look out.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Hate to hear this drama all over again with Northwest as this team was set up to be one of their best ever. Hopefully they can right the ship quick and win some games because they need all the playoff points they can get in D5 before SOC I play starts.

Also think SOC should revisit whether sending Northwest back to SOC II in 2023 is still the right move. They haven’t dominated SOC I like many (myself included) predicted and after this group of seniors graduate, it doesn’t look like their talent level next couple of years is clearly above other SOC I teams*

dirt_cinders
JV Team

Post by dirt_cinders »

NW has decent numbers. NW has been given much thought and opportunity by many in order to help their program. NW jhigh is the biggest I have seen this year. They outsize and out physical the teams they play.

Time to think from the perspective of the small schools and their programs. I think it is well time for NW to move on in 2023. I think they should move to a league in between the SOC1 and SOC2 from a competitive perspective.

Insomniac
Waterboy

Post by Insomniac »

dirt_cinders wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:22 pm NW has decent numbers. NW has been given much thought and opportunity by many in order to help their program. NW jhigh is the biggest I have seen this year. They outsize and out physical the teams they play.

Time to think from the perspective of the small schools and their programs. I think it is well time for NW to move on in 2023. I think they should move to a league in between the SOC1 and SOC2 from a competitive perspective.
I completely agree. Just because NW hasn’t “dominated” the SOC1 like they wanted, that’s not grounds to keep them around in the SOC1 any longer than already scheduled.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

dirt_cinders wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:22 pm NW has decent numbers. NW has been given much thought and opportunity by many in order to help their program. NW jhigh is the biggest I have seen this year. They outsize and out physical the teams they play.

Exactly and I've always felt if 2 more teams would be added to the SVC, that is exactly where Northwest needs to be playing. Add in Northwest and maybe Oak Hill or Circleville does Valley need to rethink their place as well in SOC2 play. given the geographical location of things and split the SVC into 2-5 team leagues. That does leave 6 non-league spots, setup weeks 9 and 10 as cross divisional play that can be done year to year based on record going into those weeks, leaving 4 open spots to fill weeks 1-4, very doable.

Return to “Football”