Riding the Bench

Re: 2021 SOC2

Post by Volunteer »

Burg week 4 home against Paul blazer.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Gotta take Burg as the SOC title favorites, especially with some good matchups the first five weeks to help prepare for their conference schedule.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Wheelersburg is the clear cut favorite. The real competition will be to see who finishes second. Have West and Valley turned the corner to winning seasons. Will Waverly actually reload instead of rebuild? Can Minford achieve their potential? That and we know Oak Hill will always battle. Here is to seeing a return to some degree of normalcy for the 2021 football season.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burgs biggest threat will be west and waverly. They play both of them at home. I think minford and oak hill will struggle. Valley will be better but I think burg still too strong.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

wobycat wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:50 pm Burgs biggest threat will be west and waverly. They play both of them at home. I think minford and oak hill will struggle. Valley will be better but I think burg still too strong.
Waverly is going to be good and their non-league schedule is going to be tough. Tigers will be deep at several positions including WR & RB. At least a couple move ins could help fill the void at LB due to graduation. Shoemaker returns from injury to lock down a LB spot and the power RB spot. Word is a few kids coming out that didn’t play last year. Tigers return two of the best DE’s in the league and area in Futhey and Crabtree and two very good corners in Stulley and Morrison.
Big loses are of course Shanks at QB along with Brown (LB, TE), Wolf (DB, WR) and a few linemen.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:50 pm Burgs biggest threat will be west and waverly. They play both of them at home. I think minford and oak hill will struggle. Valley will be better but I think burg still too strong.
This is pretty much how I'm seeing it work out. I believe the Oak Hill and Minford game will decide who finishes last and 2nd to last and both with losing records. Valley I do think you'll see more improvement still don't believe they're on the same level as Burg this year. It's possible they give West and Waverly a good game but a lot of that is because of the question marks surrounding Waverly's QB play and O-line replacements. Look for West to continue it's upward trend now that they've got all the boys from that JR High group hitting HS, they'll have some massive lineman coming in as freshman.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

greygoose wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 pm
This is pretty much how I'm seeing it work out. I believe the Oak Hill and Minford game will decide who finishes last and 2nd to last and both with losing records. Valley I do think you'll see more improvement still don't believe they're on the same level as Burg this year. It's possible they give West and Waverly a good game but a lot of that is because of the question marks surrounding Waverly's QB play and O-line replacements. Look for West to continue it's upward trend now that they've got all the boys from that JR High group hitting HS, they'll have some massive lineman coming in as freshman.
I agree
Lot of optimism about West this offseason. Those around the program think they are ready to take the next step up. 3 of 5 linemen return, Quarterback, most of the playmakers, and most of a really good defense. Sissel, Potter, and Klaiber got more touches as the year went on and will form a nice backfield.

I think West is improved and Wheelersburg/Waverly come back to them a bit. Will be a good year.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Westfan wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:16 am
I agree
Lot of optimism about West this offseason. Those around the program think they are ready to take the next step up. 3 of 5 linemen return, Quarterback, most of the playmakers, and most of a really good defense. Sissel, Potter, and Klaiber got more touches as the year went on and will form a nice backfield.

I think West is improved and Wheelersburg/Waverly come back to them a bit. Will be a good year.
Big Big if but if Burg can get decent QB play I think they are capable of being better than last year

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

greygoose: no doubt...West got some big boys up front coming in from that 8th grade class!

I see it as:
1. Burg
2. West
3. Waverly
4. Valley
5. Oak Hill
6. Minford

Nothing earth-shattering. West/Waverly only spots I went back and forth with*

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Omega wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:06 am Wheelersburg is the clear cut favorite. The real competition will be to see who finishes second. Have West and Valley turned the corner to winning seasons. Will Waverly actually reload instead of rebuild? Can Minford achieve their potential? That and we know Oak Hill will always battle. Here is to seeing a return to some degree of normalcy for the 2021 football season.
I'm not sure Burg is as clear cut as many think. I know they will have a lot of athletes back but they better find a QB and some nastiness up front on both sides of the ball. Obviously, as a Burg fan I hope this happens but I definitely think they have some important holes to fill if they are going to continue being considered at the top of SOC2.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:56 pm
Omega wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:06 am Wheelersburg is the clear cut favorite. The real competition will be to see who finishes second. Have West and Valley turned the corner to winning seasons. Will Waverly actually reload instead of rebuild? Can Minford achieve their potential? That and we know Oak Hill will always battle. Here is to seeing a return to some degree of normalcy for the 2021 football season.
I'm not sure Burg is as clear cut as many think. I know they will have a lot of athletes back but they better find a QB and some nastiness up front on both sides of the ball. Obviously, as a Burg fan I hope this happens but I definitely think they have some important holes to fill if they are going to continue being considered at the top of SOC2.
Every team fills holes. This team will have more potential than last year. I’m excited how good the defense will be on this team.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:53 pm Every team fills holes. This team will have more potential than last year. I’m excited how good the defense will be on this team.
More potential? Wheelersburg lost 4 of 5 linemen including a beast in #72. A 3 year HS starter at quarterback who threw and ran well. One of the most underrated players in the area in Miller. Defense will be solid at linebacker but holes on the DLine and secondary.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:50 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:53 pm Every team fills holes. This team will have more potential than last year. I’m excited how good the defense will be on this team.
More potential? Wheelersburg lost 4 of 5 linemen including a beast in #72. A 3 year HS starter at quarterback who threw and ran well. One of the most underrated players in the area in Miller. Defense will be solid at linebacker but holes on the DLine and secondary.
They return arguably the best back in the area. And his brother will be more of the feature slot. The QB last year was not a runner. Good passing but not a runner. It’s actually what hurt them in some games especially Waverly. He had the ability but it never developed for him.

Their secondary is intact. A couple of juniors will fill in that for those players nicely. . Their linebackers are all back. Not worried about d line. They are always good there.

Offensive line will be a question mark. Only one starter but they have some young depth. Loss of 72 is a tough replacement.

Kicking and punting will be great. I am wondering about the kick/punt returners. Could be a sophomore in that slot.

If the line comes together, they will have more potential.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I think the top two will be the same as last year, Burg and Waverly. Just unsure of which one will be on top. Both lost some good players but also returning some as well. As far as the rest of the league I think West and Valley will be the other two teams who could make some noise, I think they have the potential too possibly knock off Burg or Waverly but they still have a decent amount of improving to do.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Waverly and Wheelersburg expecting inexperienced players to just step in and make a seemless replacement to outgoing star players isn't logical. Wheelersburg has a history of success and they do return some good players, so they may be able to with a skeem change to a more run oriented attack. I hope Waverly does, but I'm not seeing it. Shanks is irreplaceable in a quarterback driven offense. Several other losses at the skill positions, on the line, and more importantly on defense. And they have games at Wheelersburg and at West. I see Waverly battling Valley for 4th. Valley will be able to match teams athletically, but lacks physicality. Waverly has shown defensive improvement, but I'm afraid some of those reasons have graduated

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:43 am Waverly and Wheelersburg expecting inexperienced players to just step in and make a seemless replacement to outgoing star players isn't logical. Wheelersburg has a history of success and they do return some good players, so they may be able to with a skeem change to a more run oriented attack. I hope Waverly does, but I'm not seeing it. Shanks is irreplaceable in a quarterback driven offense. Several other losses at the skill positions, on the line, and more importantly on defense. And they have games at Wheelersburg and at West. I see Waverly battling Valley for 4th. Valley will be able to match teams athletically, but lacks physicality. Waverly has shown defensive improvement, but I'm afraid some of those reasons have graduated
You are right, can’t replace Shanks. But I think whoever they do decide to go with at QB may not be asked to do what was expected from Shanks. I’m sure the offense will make some adjustments to suit whoever is the starter. Waverly actually returns almost of out the skill positions on Offense, with the exception of Wolf, Poe and Brown at TE. They will have a handful of running backs to pick from. At WR they will be returning Futhey and Morrison who are both over 6’3, and Stulley. Defensively I don’t think Waverly will be as good as they were last year, but still return a decent amount. The big hole to fill will be at Linebacker. They will have probably the best DE combo in the area with Will Futhey and Wyatt Crabtree. But I do agree, Waverly won’t be what they were last year. I don’t think anyone expects that, but if they want to take the next step as a program they need to show they can still compete for the top no matter who you have to replace.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Waverly will be good.

FalconFever02
Freshman Team

Post by FalconFever02 »

Very disappointed in the direction of the Minford program the past few years, if they go right back to 3-5 wins, this system is broken for sure.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Waverly will have another solid product this year.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast

Return to “Football”