2021 SVC

eagles73Taylor
SE

Re: 2021 SVC

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Who is everyone in the league playing in scrimmages? Piketon is at Minford, then at McClain.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:23 pm Who is everyone in the league playing in scrimmages? Piketon is at Minford, then at McClain.
Unioto is at Logan Elm and Miami Trace. I think MT is a JamboreeGame, but that’s just a guess based on the timing of it

2pvfballers
Waterboy

Post by 2pvfballers »

PV… I think you’ll all be surprised that the line is bigger, faster and stronger than last year… just relaying the message. They have 3 studs over 6’4 and 300lbs. I know it’s early. But Henderson, Wisecup, and Bell, should allow anyone playing RB1 to gain 5 a pop. Go Cats!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

2pvfballers wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:18 pm PV… I think you’ll all be surprised that the line is bigger, faster and stronger than last year… just relaying the message. They have 3 studs over 6’4 and 300lbs. I know it’s early. But Henderson, Wisecup, and Bell, should allow anyone playing RB1 to gain 5 a pop. Go Cats!
I don't think it's really going to surprise anyone pretty much everyone has said PV and Piketon for the SVC title.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

2pvfballers wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:18 pm PV… I think you’ll all be surprised that the line is bigger, faster and stronger than last year… just relaying the message. They have 3 studs over 6’4 and 300lbs. I know it’s early. But Henderson, Wisecup, and Bell, should allow anyone playing RB1 to gain 5 a pop. Go Cats!

So, who are they scrimmaging? If PV can get that line moving, they will be a load to stop.

Bumpy
Freshman Team

Post by Bumpy »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:54 am

So, who are they scrimmaging? If PV can get that line moving, they will be a load to stop.
PV has Miami Trace next Saturday then Hillsboro on Friday the 13th.

2pvfballers
Waterboy

Post by 2pvfballers »

PV didn’t get to play westfall last season… How are they?

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

They are very low numbers, I hope they play all there games we have them week ten, and I’m little worried

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I heard Westfall is really down, if today’s scrimmage was an indication.

2pvfballers
Waterboy

Post by 2pvfballers »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:51 am I heard Westfall is really down, if today’s scrimmage was an indication.
I hate to hear it. Any idea who they had today? Pv had Miami Trace and Vinton county. Looked decent I thought. I hear piketon did well against Minford. Any other scrimmages today?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

2pvfballers wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:20 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:51 am I heard Westfall is really down, if today’s scrimmage was an indication.
I hate to hear it. Any idea who they had today? Pv had Miami Trace and Vinton county. Looked decent I thought. I hear piketon did well against Minford. Any other scrimmages today?
They played Berne Union.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto was up at Logan Elm, looked decent from what I saw. Lots to work on, but with only 5 seniors, I think that’s to be expected

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Piketons offense looked solid, was able to move the ball through the air. The running game was pretty vanilla, neither team used their qb to run of course. Minfords big qb connected on quite a few passes of his own. Looked like Piketons d is improved. Made several nice plays. Lots to work on, but the timing of Piketons offense was pretty sharp, and the d looked more aggressive.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Rolltanks wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:16 pm They are very low numbers, I hope they play all there games we have them week ten, and I’m little worried
Yeah, I've heard AD has told them you've got to get more boys or there won't be a season. I'm hoping the number I heard was off but they were around 16.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:41 pm
Rolltanks wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:16 pm They are very low numbers, I hope they play all there games we have them week ten, and I’m little worried
Yeah, I've heard AD has told them you've got to get more boys or there won't be a season. I'm hoping the number I heard was off but they were around 16.
I’m told it wasn’t that low.

“Without counting I’d say 28” was the real-time text I got from someone who was there yesterday. (Still not a great number.)

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:49 pm

“Without counting I’d say 28” was the real-time text I got from someone who was there yesterday. (Still not a great number.)
Well that's good then, sounds like they got more guys out. Westfall with these numbers and Gallia with there's just makes you wonder are kids simply not playing anymore, are they going elsewhere to play or what is really going on with some of these schools.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Kids would rather sit at home and play video games. Sadly their parents are fine with it.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Well that's good then, sounds like they got more guys out. Westfall with these numbers and Gallia with there's just makes you wonder are kids simply not playing anymore, are they going elsewhere to play or what is really going on with some of these schools.
Football is a sport experiencing general decline nationwide. So that, itself, is an issue. And while we may not think of GA and Westfall as being “small”, well, they are small schools that aren’t immune from waxing-and-waning periods to be expected with the territory.

Football is also a hard sport. We lose sight of that. At small schools these days participation numbers across classes, summing into one roster, is akin to chain lightning. You might hit two big classes in a row that can spit out 10-15 each just as easily as you hit two classes with only 5-6 apiece. And sometimes low participation numbers is a matter of either the community or coach needing to “do better.” Maybe 40%(?) of the time it’s the community, 5-9% of the time it’s the coach, but most of the time it’s shared blame between both the coach and the community.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

And FWIW, if a program ever finds itself having to plea publicly for kids to come out “or else no season” then that program is toast for the season.

Don’t know if we’ll see it come to that soon, or not, in SEOPS territory but I saw two northern Ohio village programs (New London and Vanlue) do it this summer to no avail. And their argument of “if there’s no team then it hurts the band, cheerleaders and community” was pretty unconvincing — especially since it was freaking July, a month before week one.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:05 am
greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Football is a sport experiencing general decline nationwide. So that, itself, is an issue. And while we may not think of GA and Westfall as being “small”, well, they are small schools that aren’t immune from waxing-and-waning periods to be expected with the territory.

Football is also a hard sport. We lose sight of that. At small schools these days participation numbers across classes, summing into one roster, is akin to chain lightning. You might hit two big classes in a row that can spit out 10-15 each just as easily as you hit two classes with only 5-6 apiece. And sometimes low participation numbers is a matter of either the community or coach needing to “do better.” Maybe 40%(?) of the time it’s the community, 5-9% of the time it’s the coach, but most of the time it’s shared blame between both the coach and the community.
For the most part in terms of football and how it's viewed I get that but I do have to disagree a bit in terms of calling GA and Westfall small while technically they're not so small for that to be a reason. Gallipolis has roughly 220 boys at least from the last count I'm finding on OHSAA and to say 25 boys total are playing there's much more to it than that when we're talking about 9% playing. I mean there numbers are on par with most DVII schools outside the powerhouse ones, which brings us to why don't those schools see the numbers issue?? Westfall another school with close to 190 boys having to try and pull kids back out in order to have a season. Like you said football is a hard sport but I still believe it ultimately boils down to wins and losses, if kids are going to put themselves through that work they want to see the rewards for it. Just look at schools with similar sizes heck even smaller sized schools but ones that win typically year in and year out you don't hear them having those issues.

Ironton smaller than both of those schools has what 60 kids out or more just guessing, possibly more, Waverly right in line with Gallia has 60-70, Burg typically been running with what 65-80 boys last several years now. I mean all of these would be considered small schools in the grand scheme of things. Has the culture changed absolutely because for some playing for the love of playing simply isn't enough, W's and L's have become the great equalizer in a lot of eyes I believe. Otherwise you'd see more ups and downs with smaller school instead of the same schools being up there each year. For some it does boil down to coaching, I know of a team locally that had close to 40 boys last season and are fielding about 22/23 this season because of the HC. Like you mentioned there's more than one factor, always is and I don't buy into the whole, "they all want to play video games crap" because they're all still playing video games even if they play. Good points, just hoping some of these schools can turn things around.

Return to “Football”