New move ins at your schools.How many? Let’s have fun

transplant
SE

Re: New move ins at your schools.How many? Let’s have fun

Post by transplant »

Exactly, to say Ironton is the only place to get looked at is crazy. Who was the last person to go "next level" from Ironton before Carrico? All schools have players go next level every year. Might not be D1, but they keep playing. I don't have a dog in the fight, just not a good look.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I know burg has been leading the area in transfers for a long time, but Ironton has over taken them. With all the move ins they’ve had the last couple of years they should go undefeated and make it to the state finals every or they will be a bust. If a player is good enough to get noticed by big time schools, they will no matter where they are for the most part. I don’t think there is only one school in southern Ohio that can produce D1. Players are beginning to believe if they go to Ironton it is a meal ticket to D1, and that simply is not the case. I believe every player and family has the choice to move anywhere they please just like coaches do. But I do hate to see a nice athlete that has dedicated their entire life to one school move with only a year or two left.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

As judge Judy and Woby said,it’s just hearsay with a lot of sour grapes and a little bit of envy thrown in.Coach Pendleton wants all the athletes in the area to get noticed.Look at the showcase he put together.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Purely football, since this is a football thread. 1, the biggest test a kid can pass to be recruited to play college football (any level with or without a scholarship) is the eye test. Does the kid meet the physical dimensions looked at for their particular position? Height, weight, build etc. 2, with or without the eye test, do they have pure speed! If a kid can run, and has the ability to change direction, he has the potential for the next level. These 2 things, along with being able to play the game will get you looked at for the next level. Not too many 6', 220 o linemen in college. So frustrating to hear parents talk like getting a scholarship is so easy! Another factor is, even if the kid is the best player at their position on their team, doesn't mean little Johnny is going on to the next level. College coaches are not fools, they look for kids with certain intangibles, and trust me they can find you anywhere! Academics, character and attitude are also vital for playing at the next level. A college coach doesn't want to waste a spot on their roster.

Not slamming any school for anything being accused of on this thread, just my two cents on the recruiting process.

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

artisgilmore wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:46 pm 90% of successful programs have transfers.Just the way it is.If it can help a kid possibly get some of his or her college paid ,I see nothing wrong with it.Build it and they will come.
Says the fan of the team benefitting from all the transfers

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

As a passionate high school football fan, I find it disgusting the way things are happening. Their is not one legit reason any one can convince me of a good reason for team shopping and recruiting. And yes their is recruiting going on. It doesnt have to be monetary or goods being offered. I have heard of first hand accounts.

Maybe in 1990 you could give me the college spill or to get noticed. But not in todays age of electronics and social media. With a quick google search any college can find tapes, stats, highlights, camp reviews and etc. And then pursue accordingly. We are quick to blame the kids but it is mommy and daddy. What are we teaching kids? What happened to school pride? What happened to not giving up on your friends? So many people, think so unrealistically it is a shame. In the last 20 years, out of Southeastern Ohio, how many kids have had successful 4 year careers at D1 programs? I can count on one hand. You think Trevon Pendleton made it at Michigan state because of coach Tripplett? No, its because Trevon was good and they found him. You think Blaine Scott got recruited at Sciotoville East to go to WVU because they are a perennial power house? No. They could have cared less. And to add on to that, Blaine is now moving on to a smaller school. I don't know his reasons, but that shows it is not easy and not for everyone.

We are feeding crap into these kids head that are point blank, excuses. Its lazy. I graduated from West. I would have laughed at your face if you asked me to move to Burg. We had classics every time we played, why would I join my rival? I want to beat you? Just because im seeing it now first hand, it blows my mind we are losing kids at West. Not gonna start QB? Lets move to ND. Dad didnt get a coaching job? Lets move. Same with softball and basketball. And the saddest part is? They are leaving really good teams. Dominant teams. Teams good enough to leave their own legacies and chase state titles. Soft generation.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

With all due respect, it’s obvious you had no chance to play at the next level.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Unfortunately for our area, high school sports are the local event. Kids are treated like celebrities for a short time. All this is smoke and mirrors.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

wobycat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:20 pm Unfortunately for our area, high school sports are the local event. Kids are treated like celebrities for a short time. All this is smoke and mirrors.
I totally agree. I tend to forget they are kids most of the time. But like you said sometimes in small towns where football means alot, it's how us washed up guys get to be kids again. The truth is 99 percent of football players will end up going to college, be a blue collar worker or a nobody. That's more realistic to me than pretending certain small high schools will take you to stardom.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Kids transfer for the most part to get hopefully a chance to help supplement their cost to college.Its not about state championships.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

artisgilmore wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:48 pm Kids transfer for the most part to get hopefully a chance to help supplement their cost to college.Its not about state championships.
Bull. Ironton has as many D1 kids in the last 10 years as West, Minford, and Sciotoville East. It doesn't matter where you play.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

It's just a different world than what we grew up in and unfortunately it will probably keep getting worse.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:15 pm It's just a different world than what we grew up in and unfortunately it will probably keep getting worse.
Yep. I can’t stand watching any other level except for high school and it looks as if I’ll probably abandon that.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Westfan wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:15 pm It's just a different world than what we grew up in and unfortunately it will probably keep getting worse.
Ironton, Portsmouth, and Wheelersburg have a very long history of getting transfers. It’s nothing new

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

True dat.Big difference between recruiting and transferring.See nothing wrong with latter if that’s what the family decides to do.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Of course people from Ironton are cool with it because they're benefitting from it. Thing is if you talked to people from any other school a couple years ago Wheelersburg is recruiting. Now Wheelersburg is saying Ironton is recruiting. Seems like Notre Dame is in on it now. Regardless until someone gets caught with a hand in the cookie it will continue and if it is recruiting someone will slip up.

I agree with some other posters, it's just the sad direction of society. Growing up playing with "brothers" and being apart of something used to have meaning. Now it's all about "me attitudes". Adults living through these kids is sad.

Also say Ironton wins a state championship. Does it really have meaning when half the guys out there only move or have addresses in Ironton to have eligibility? Spin it however you want but this is high school. It isn't college. How would you feel if you were one of those 5 or 6 guys that busted your butt in the program for years, only to see guys come in and take your spot?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:42 am Of course people from Ironton are cool with it because they're benefitting from it. Thing is if you talked to people from any other school a couple years ago Wheelersburg is recruiting. Now Wheelersburg is saying Ironton is recruiting. Seems like Notre Dame is in on it now. Regardless until someone gets caught with a hand in the cookie it will continue and if it is recruiting someone will slip up.

I agree with some other posters, it's just the sad direction of society. Growing up playing with "brothers" and being apart of something used to have meaning. Now it's all about "me attitudes". Adults living through these kids is sad.

Also say Ironton wins a state championship. Does it really have meaning when half the guys out there only move or have addresses in Ironton to have eligibility? Spin it however you want but this is high school. It isn't college. How would you feel if you were one of those 5 or 6 guys that busted your butt in the program for years, only to see guys come in and take your spot?
Every good school gets transfers

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Raider6309: I can say with certainty that Portsmouth doesn't get nearly as many transfers as you might think. I can't speak for Wheelersburg or Ironton, but I can for Portsmouth. Your statement about Portsmouth is unfounded and inaccurate. If we were the beneficiary of transfers, as you have claimed, then why did we win only 30 games total in football from 2008-2017, with no playoff appearances during that time? And to add 7 straight losing seasons in basketball from 2003-2009, with currently 3 straight losing seasons from 2019-2021, with only 1 sectional title since 2015?

If transfers are one of ingredients to turn a losing program into a winning one, then the Portsmouth numbers should be considerably better.

Have we gotten transfers? Of course.......but the ones who are program changers have been far and few between. Just look at the records I have posted. It doesn't make sense that we should have struggled with extended periods of losing in football and basketball.
Last edited by trojandave on Tue May 25, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

I really don’t think schools recruit per say,but I do believe a program’s reputation has a lot to do with the movement.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Program's reputation is big, I agree. I also agree that kids transfer all the time, I get it. Usually the kid is transferring from a bad situation, or is the one good player on a bad team, whatever. The ones I have trouble with are the transfers from program's with good reputations as well. I just wonder if there was a different coach at a particular school, if all the kids would still be transferring there? I'm sure they would still get some, but this many? I'm not so sure.

Return to “Football”