Varsity

Re: 2021 PORTSMOUTH TROJANS FOOTBALL

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Anyone catch the scrimmage?

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Was told 46-42 Portsmouth. Not sure how the 2nd half went but waverly was in control first half. So not sure if jv played or what

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

42-21 Waverly starters at the half.
JV played second half.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Not great but not awful. Waverly I think is going to be really solid this year. So even though the score was lopsided with the varsity, I think putting up 21 is a good sign, as well as the experience of playing probably one of the better teams Portsmouth will see this year is a plus heading into the opener Thursday against Valley.

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Didn't go to the scrimmage but talked to a reliable someone who did and it sounded like the same thing that has plagued Portsmouth for years.......a very porous defense which gave up big plays and lots of points to Waverly. On the offensive side, it looks very much like the Trojans will score a lot of points with all the weapons they have. Just a scrimmage, and I know Waverly will be good, but it's an old tune hearing that our defense is just not very good. Tough to have a successful season trying to outscore everybody. Needs stops at some point.......but it makes Portsmouth one of the most entertaining teams in the SE district.

GO TROJANS!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Like any other scrimmage varsity first half jv second ,hard to get a good hold on things with two qtrs and the argument of how second half would end if varsity only ,could have got beat by 60 or came back according to adjustments then the other argument of who showed what 😳 .

Sounded exciting either way .

Good luck to wavery and go trojans

Beergogglebluez
SE

I was told waverly didn’t play many starters on both the lines. They still scored 42 in the first half. Trojan defense has to hold teams or it’s a long season. I expect a ton of 40 point games this year. Both of the Trojan lines are a question mark too.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

trojandave wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:45 pm Didn't go to the scrimmage but talked to a reliable someone who did and it sounded like the same thing that has plagued Portsmouth for years.......a very porous defense which gave up big plays and lots of points to Waverly. On the offensive side, it looks very much like the Trojans will score a lot of points with all the weapons they have. Just a scrimmage, and I know Waverly will be good, but it's an old tune hearing that our defense is just not very good. Tough to have a successful season trying to outscore everybody. Needs stops at some point.......but it makes Portsmouth one of the most entertaining teams in the SE district.

GO TROJANS!!
I was in the area and decided to take this game in last night, Portsmouth defense was very weak against the pass and tackling was a train wreck. Waverly apparently is missing some OL starters so they weren't able to run the ball with much success especially after the loss of Shoemaker, but the WRs getting behind the Trojan secondary time and time again really surprised. In terms of offense I do think Portsmouth will put up a lot of points against just about every OVC school for sure. Waverly last night looked to keep it very vanilla as the Trojans were really successful with just the same handful of plays, with it being a scrimmage I would've thought that would've been the time Trojans worked on much more but they also might have not wanted to put to much on film. Trojan QB was very quick and with his height I'm assuming that's why I seen so many roll out plays, WRS for Trojans were good in open space and were difficult to go down. Waverly is going to have a REALLY nice year yet again that team might have more weapons this year than last with the addition of the speedster at WR. BIG problem I noticed for Waverly and maybe the OL getting back healthy will make a difference but they simply weren't able to run the ball, had bad snaps and gave up pressures on the QB. Trojans giving up that many points in a half to a 1st year starting QB should be a bit alarming but this seems to be the norm for Portsmouth last few years. All in all I believe the Trojans will win some games for sure based solely off athleticism but to teams built in the trenches it could be a long night. Definitely will be some entertaining games this year if you're a Trojan fan.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

^^^^^^^^^
Nailed it ,something we see year after year ,we have camps for everything I'd like to see US have strictly a tackling camp

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I don’t want to get into a big debate about it, but to me it starts at the peewee level. Portsmouth has never had a good proper program. Wrapping up on a tackle is the first thing you should learn at that young age. Obviously the lack of shows at the high school level. They tackle and it looks like a dolphin jumping out of the ocean, arms down to their sides with a huge flop at the ball carriers feet. It’s been a problem since the mid 2000’s. Then again so has the offensive line.

Who Dey!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:32 pm I don’t want to get into a big debate about it, but to me it starts at the peewee level. Portsmouth has never had a good proper program. Wrapping up on a tackle is the first thing you should learn at that young age. Obviously the lack of shows at the high school level. They tackle and it looks like a dolphin jumping out of the ocean, arms down to their sides with a huge flop at the ball carriers feet. It’s been a problem since the mid 2000’s. Then again so has the offensive line.
From what I seen I would've guessed they were taught to arm tackle or simple thought running into the guy was enough to bring them down. Was there some quality tackles, absolutely here and there and more of a excepting the hit as they wrapped up instead of delivering the hit. 2 or 3 of Waverly's long TDs came from defenders just trying to grab WR jersey's as they were on the move it was sort of like no one really wanted to come up and hit if the guy was on the move. Waverly missed there fair share of tackles themselves but that seemed to be more because of aggression and simply not breaking down and the Portsmouth guys simply had to make a simple cut do to over pursuing on Waverly's part which is much more fixable than guys not looking like they want to talk.

Beergogglebluez
SE

I noticed a lot of the poor tackles is kids trying to strip the ball. Wrap the kid up and take him down. Portsmouth will win some games. I’m worried about the teams that will run down their throats. Other then ironton the ovc is wide open. I think Portsmouth can finish 2nd or 3rd in the conference

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

Here's the deal, Roe doesn't need a lot of time, so if the line can just slow the defense down you'll have your offense. Defense needs to step up. That being said, I think the Trojans will compete!

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
Pit Stop Billy
Riding the Bench

Post by Pit Stop Billy »

RiverBallFan1 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:52 pm Here's the deal, Roe doesn't need a lot of time, so if the line can just slow the defense down you'll have your offense. Defense needs to step up. That being said, I think the Trojans will compete!
They usually have the athletes. Hopefully they can put them to good use and have a great season.

Richard Noggin
Riding the Bench

Post by Richard Noggin »

I don't think I've seen anyone mention the addition of Jaden Duncan. That kid is a very good receiver he will help.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Richard Noggin wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:11 pm I don't think I've seen anyone mention the addition of Jaden Duncan. That kid is a very good receiver he will help.
Duncan gives Portsmouth 3 very good playmakers at WR. Bryant, Pendleton and Duncan are going to be tough for any secondary to cover.

Who Dey!
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

RiverBallFan1 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:52 pm Here's the deal, Roe doesn't need a lot of time, so if the line can just slow the defense down you'll have your offense. Defense needs to step up. That being said, I think the Trojans will compete!
Sure, most of his throws are going to be designed roll outs because of the line not being up to par, as well as his height. He can also hurt teams with his feet. Very excited to watch him play this year.

Who Dey!
Beergogglebluez
SE

My guess is trojans 7-3. Looking at the ovc it’s not good. A lot of kids gone from graduation. West, ironton and the Cincinnati school are my picks for a loss. I think roe runs the ball a ton if no one is open. If and if the line can hold a couple seconds we have speed on receivers. Pendleton is the best player on offense and defense. He catches everything. Trojans have to score major points because the defense will give up major points. I originally picked valley but I am going with the Trojans. Valley has no depth, one kid went to Portsmouth, they had kids transfer. I think Portsmouth wins by 10 or more.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Let's not forget Donavon Carr is back as a senior he got hurt on very first play of first game last year and missed the entire season I know for a fact he has been working his ass off for his senior season ,you put him back there with Amare Johnson who had a great year running the ball last year and we could sneak a pretty good running game in there

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

biggdowgg wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:03 pm Let's not forget Donavon Carr is back as a senior he got hurt on very first play of first game last year and missed the entire season I know for a fact he has been working his ass off for his senior season ,you put him back there with Amare Johnson who had a great year running the ball last year and we could sneak a pretty good running game in there
Excited to see Carr back this year. Johnson ran well last year, very underrated season he had. They should make a nice 1-2 punch.

Who Dey!

Return to “Football”