The Benefit Of 16-Team Regions For State Football Playoffs

Post by radiodavel »

The Benefit Of 16-Team Regions For State Football Playoffs
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2021 ... l-playoffs

Bumpy
Freshman Team

Re: The Benefit Of 16-Team Regions For State Football Playoffs

Post by Bumpy »

Don't like it, should have stayed at 8. I could have reluctantly been somewhat OK with the 12 team proposal but 16 is a bad idea and a money grab for OHSAA. The days of making the playoffs meaning you had a pretty good team will be gone, 3-7 and lots of 4-6 teams getting in is not right. Good luck to the 16 seeds that have to play at Marion Local and Coldwater, Kirtland. 35-0 in the 1st Qtr. is not an intriguing matchup.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

8 was enough
12 is to many
16 is a joke

the ohio high school football coaches association wanted 12 not 16

the only ones that will benefit are the greedy bastards at the oh$aa

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

blackshooky wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:48 pm 8 was enough
12 is to many
16 is a joke

the ohio high school football coaches association wanted 12 not 16

the only ones that will benefit are the greedy bastards at the oh$aa

Spaylaywathepi
Waterboy

Post by Spaylaywathepi »

The OHSAA sure can move fast when it comes to making more money. Everything else....not so much.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

I think that this actually makes it worse for the regular season because the emphasis on only being a top 8 rather than top 4 in each region to get a home game. There’s always the incentive to win your conference but the non-conference games won’t carry as much weight in my opinion. I don’t think that I necessarily like this, either. The two schools that would definitely be in agreement with 16 team playoffs per region are Northwood and Gibsonburg in 2019. Both teams went 10-0 and didn’t make the playoffs. That’s the first time that has occurred since 2001 when Newcomerstown went 10-0.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I very much like the format of giving more teams, especially seniors, the opportunity to extend their football careers for at least one game. The overwhelming majority of kids will never play beyond the high school level.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

This has its pros n cons has most things in life do. It definitely takes away the prestigious honor of making the playoffs. For programs such as Jackson Ironton burg will only be talked about for not making the playoffs. It will also allow programs that have NEVER made the playoffs a chance to turn their program around and behind a new tradition! It may raise a program out of the Dumps and turn it around for the better. And of course the business side of things for the OHSAA it should help their recovery from the Covid 2020 year. Either way you look at it rather good or bad. It’s going to happen and be the new norm. Embrace it and do whatever it takes to be successful.

Me. I’m just thankful that the boys of fall come kickoff 2021 will have full stands with fans cheering their team on. Bands jamming the crips fall night air away and our life’s returning to normal. Kick the lights on , send the pigskin into the air and let’s get this party started !!!

Won’t be long folks……it won’t be long !!!!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:35 am I think that this actually makes it worse for the regular season because the emphasis on only being a top 8 rather than top 4 in each region to get a home game. There’s always the incentive to win your conference but the non-conference games won’t carry as much weight in my opinion. I don’t think that I necessarily like this, either. The two schools that would definitely be in agreement with 16 team playoffs per region are Northwood and Gibsonburg in 2019. Both teams went 10-0 and didn’t make the playoffs. That’s the first time that has occurred since 2001 when Newcomerstown went 10-0.
Maybe now teams won’t be scared to schedule a game or 2 they might lose.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

16 is too many in my opinion. Sure it gives seniors a chance to play but the challenge is trying to make a postseason and not handing it to you. If it goes 16 just let everyone in. Put wheelersburg vs Portsmouth back on the schedule which should of been done a couple years ago. I like the 8 team format but won’t lie I’ll go watch games if the Trojans are a 16 seed. I just enjoy watching the area teams play.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Someone correct me if I’m wrong. But, doesn’t that mean that every single Division 1 school will make the playoffs?
There’s going to be some lopsided games all around the state. As it’s been mentioned above, a 16 seed is going to get clobbered by the Kirtland, Marion Local, Ironton, Burg, Trimble, Fort Frye types in week one. I get that it’s an opportunity for a senior to get one more week in. But I sure as heck wouldn’t want to get embarrassed by a powerhouse either.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
bhicks42
Freshman Team

Post by bhicks42 »

Last year Loudenville beat a #2 ranked, undefeated Centerburg team in the playoffs. Loudenville was ranked #18 in the region.
Nothing wrong with a team getting in at #16. Maybe they go in and lose by 50 but it happens in the regular season all the time. Upsets are the fun part about it all. If your team is good enough you shouldn’t complain about an extra game.
Play your JV if it’s a blow out. How could it hurt?

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I like it because it gives a lot of kids a chance to play a few more games. I also think teams won’t be afraid to schedule a few harder games because a loss won’t really hurt you.

Return to “Football”