Waterboy

Ironton 20 Fairland 14 OT 2021

Post by Huntster77 »

Thoughts????

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Week 3 Fairland @ Ironton

Post by wobycat »

Ironton wins. Definitely interested in how an experienced passing attack will fare against ironton.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Ironton will probably win the game. But Fairland is a good team. Would not surprise me for Fairland to hang around in this one

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Ironton will win, but I would not be surprised if Fairland makes it interesting.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Play calling on the Ironton side needs to improve. You just can’t call plays against good teams. You need to have a series of plays setting up one play to make the others work.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Fairland could raise some eyebrows from this game. Whether they play close or get blown out should be interesting

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Ironton, running clock. Love hearing one poster say they will be passing a lot against us. Ironton needs the experience

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Well this might be a bit more interesting than some think, and by that I think Ironton by 2-3 scores. Fairland is a very solid team and I'm just curious with Ironton coming off such an emotional rollercoaster and physical game what kind of shape they might be in or if they come out the gate slowly. Think Fairland could be in this one at halftime, however in the end Ironton just to physical. Good luck

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

kantucky wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:00 pm Ironton, running clock. Love hearing one poster say they will be passing a lot against us. Ironton needs the experience
No poster said that. Besides you needed a miracle to beat Jackson at home.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:39 pm
kantucky wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:00 pm Ironton, running clock. Love hearing one poster say they will be passing a lot against us. Ironton needs the experience
Jackson was the more physical team

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:43 pm
Disagree. And i was there. Both teams are very physical and fast. Both are very good up front but Ironton is the more physical of the 2.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:13 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:43 pm

Disagree. And i was there. Both teams are very physical and fast. Both are very good up front but Ironton is the more physical of the 2.
Ironton was way bigger of the 2, but Jackson was more physical

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Ironton wins but needs to clean up on offensive penalties. It was ugly last night. And I was told number 7 was a bit hurt and they used him very limited so might be why we didn’t see him much

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Ironton scored as many points in the last second against Jackson as Wheelersburg scored in 48 minutes against Ironton. Go pound sand and worry about transfers.

Can’t see Fairland’s D hanging on for four quarters against Ironton’s rushing attack. Nor do I see Fairland sustaining drives. They may have some chunk plays, but Ironton’s pass rush too much.

Could be close for 12-18 minutes, but Tigers pull away in the second half and win by 3 or more scores.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

The challenge facing the Fighting Tigers and Coach Pendleton is to find both a coordinated plan and consistent execution on offense. Unlike the past two years, Reid Carrico isn't walking through that door to disguise what has been a persistent problem with the offensive side of the ball in Ironton.

Coach Pendleton has been outstanding in bringing the Tiger program back to the forefront of southeastern Ohio football. He is a tireless worker, and he demands the same from his players. The strength and conditioning program he has instituted alone makes Ironton a force to be reckoned with. Upon this foundation, he has built a very sturdy defense that can dominate most teams in DV within the region. He has used his connections to expose Ironton players to numerous college football programs and the scholarship opportunities those bring. Coach Pendleton has re-energized community support, which is among the best in the area. And, as many on here will note, Ironton has undeniably become a destination program for players and their families seeking a first class winning program + college scholarships. As an Ironton native, I am extremely happy Coach Pendleton was hired to be the football coach at Ironton High.

But to get the program to where he ultimately wants it to be, Coach Pendleton will need to solve the Fighting Tigers' offensive side of the ball. While he has introduced more diversity to the offense compared to the Lutz era, mere offensive packages do not equate to a coordinated, effective offensive game plan. Coach Lutz may have primarily employed what many consider to be an antiquated full house T-formation, but his game planning was exquisite. He would soften up the defensive interior with a physical, pounding fullback while stretching the edges with leggy halfbacks and quarterbacks. Then when the defense became overly focused on the run, Lutz would call the play action to go over the top. If the situation demanded it like a 3rd and 4, he would for the first time in the game go to a hard count and draw the defense offsides. I don't know how many times the fans in the stands would call for this hard count knowing just when Lutz would go to it. And if needed to offset an over-pursuing defense, Coach Lutz would not hesitate to run a counter, a draw, a screen, or a pop pass to the tight end (who was used as a blocker 90% of the time) with great success.

After 3+ years of watching this coaching staff, I am still trying to understand the game plans. Ironton uses multiple formations, but doesn't seem to execute any of them with great efficiency. Line of scrimmage discipline is too often lacking, especially in the first 6-8 weeks of games. In short, the Tigers seem to win more on talent and effort than technique and planning, but that advantage disappears against top flight teams like Kirtland. I guess it take a while for a young coach to find that offensive "personality".

I want to close out this post on a positive track. Coach Pendleton's teams play extremely hard. They are both physically and mentally strong, and opponents should never count them out - check out the Roger Bacon and Jackson games for proof of that. The work ethic that Coach Pendleton has displayed I believe should and will evolve an offensive system that can take this team to the summit. In the meanwhile, the Ironton faithful should enjoy the ride and keep the faith. Go Tigers!

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

Jackson is a good physical football team, unlike Burg, woby . Tigers are too physical for Fairland, they will roll in this one.
Last edited by frankie on Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Iron 38
Fair 14

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

If Ironton is focused and not letting this be a trap game….I think around 42-14

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Dragons lose by 2 to 3 scores but will hang tough for a bit. Good luck to the dudes in green.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:32 pm The challenge facing the Fighting Tigers and Coach Pendleton is to find both a coordinated plan and consistent execution on offense. Unlike the past two years, Reid Carrico isn't walking through that door to disguise what has been a persistent problem with the offensive side of the ball in Ironton.

Coach Pendleton has been outstanding in bringing the Tiger program back to the forefront of southeastern Ohio football. He is a tireless worker, and he demands the same from his players. The strength and conditioning program he has instituted alone makes Ironton a force to be reckoned with. Upon this foundation, he has built a very sturdy defense that can dominate most teams in DV within the region. He has used his connections to expose Ironton players to numerous college football programs and the scholarship opportunities those bring. Coach Pendleton has re-energized community support, which is among the best in the area. And, as many on here will note, Ironton has undeniably become a destination program for players and their families seeking a first class winning program + college scholarships. As an Ironton native, I am extremely happy Coach Pendleton was hired to be the football coach at Ironton High.

But to get the program to where he ultimately wants it to be, Coach Pendleton will need to solve the Fighting Tigers' offensive side of the ball. While he has introduced more diversity to the offense compared to the Lutz era, mere offensive packages do not equate to a coordinated, effective offensive game plan. Coach Lutz may have primarily employed what many consider to be an antiquated full house T-formation, but his game planning was exquisite. He would soften up the defensive interior with a physical, pounding fullback while stretching the edges with leggy halfbacks and quarterbacks. Then when the defense became overly focused on the run, Lutz would call the play action to go over the top. If the situation demanded it like a 3rd and 4, he would for the first time in the game go to a hard count and draw the defense offsides. I don't know how many times the fans in the stands would call for this hard count knowing just when Lutz would go to it. And if needed to offset an over-pursuing defense, Coach Lutz would not hesitate to run a counter, a draw, a screen, or a pop pass to the tight end (who was used as a blocker 90% of the time) with great success.

After 3+ years of watching this coaching staff, I am still trying to understand the game plans. Ironton uses multiple formations, but doesn't seem to execute any of them with great efficiency. Line of scrimmage discipline is too often lacking, especially in the first 6-8 weeks of games. In short, the Tigers seem to win more on talent and effort than technique and planning, but that advantage disappears against top flight teams like Kirtland. I guess it take a while for a young coach to find that offensive "personality".

I want to close out this post on a positive track. Coach Pendleton's teams play extremely hard. They are both physically and mentally strong, and opponents should never count them out - check out the Roger Bacon and Jackson games for proof of that. The work ethic that Coach Pendleton has displayed I believe should and will evolve an offensive system that can take this team to the summit. In the meanwhile, the Ironton faithful should enjoy the ride and keep the faith. Go Tigers!
Good post

To Sum it Up. Basically Ironton’s Coaches Recruit Well and Win with Talent.

Not getting 60 Total Yards of Offense in a Game with Carrico at Tailback tells you all you need to know. That game last night should not have been close.

Return to “Football”